AVSIG: Deja vu all over again wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Deja vu all over again
      #143677 - 02/15/07 06:38 AM

This time it's JetBlue at JFK...ten flights sat on the ramp as long as nine hours Wednesday.

One of these days, some load of pax is going to decide they've had enough and take matters into their own hands,and people are going to be hurt.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Erwin, TN
Re: Deja vu all over again [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #143680 - 02/15/07 06:53 AM

<<JetBlue at JFK...ten flights sat on the ramp as long as nine hours Wednesday>>

Deja vu all over again indeed.
Something must be done about this. Hate to say it, but maybe we need a bunch of lawsuite. This is absolutely insane and must be stopped.

Ralph Hood

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Re: Deja vu all over again [Re: Ralph Hood]
      #143691 - 02/15/07 08:57 AM

Quote:

Hate to say it, but maybe we need a bunch of lawsuite.

I'm told the victims of the last go-round are organizing one.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #143732 - 02/15/07 03:44 PM

I found the following from a JetBlue pilot who was involved in the incident.
--------------------------------------
I was part of the deice fiasco in JFK yesterday. From pushback to wheelsup was.....wait for it........7:20. The problem was the ATIS kept changing every 15 minutes. First it was legal then it wasn't, then it was, then it wasn't. It went on like that for 7 hours. We configured for deice 4 or 5 different times. We started one or both engines multiple times. There were planes in front of us, planes behind us, every gate was occupied and there were a/c waiting on taxiways trying to find somewhere to drop the pax. The only thing anybody could do was to try and keeping moving forward. Twice when we tried to move forward we were frozen to the tarmac. We were one of the lucky ones and finally took off. Thank god for LiveTV. Our customers were unbelievably patient. We kept them informed and took care of them the best we could. We got an applause when we landed at our destination 11+ hours after pushback. Everybody thanked us as they deplaned. I guess that won't make it on to the cable news.

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Re: Deja vu all over again [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #143735 - 02/15/07 04:17 PM

<<Everybody thanked us as they deplaned. I guess that won't make it on to the cable news. >>

yrral--

What did make the news--at least on my computer--is that JetBlue said it was "unnaceptable" and promised refunds. In other words, they faced it head on. Shades of the Tylenol problem of old.

Ralph Hood

Frank Van Haste [VKX]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Northern VA
Re: Deja vu all over again [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #143736 - 02/15/07 04:19 PM

Have I mentioned how much I hate commercial air travel?

Well, 631S went into annual this week and we had an opportuinity to attend a family gathering in Palm Beach this weekend. So (silly of us) we ticketed on DL 805 for today (Thur) KJFK > KPBI at 1245. Yesterday's wx was awful, of course, but why wouldn't there be a good chance to get the system squared away by mid-day today?

This morning I dutifully got onto the DL web site and learned that the flight was delayed by 1 hour, to 1345. Fine! Gives me more time for the drive down.

On the way out of the driveway my cellphone goes off. It's the disembodied computer voice from DL letting me know about the 1 hr delay. Great! Keep the customers informed!

We get to JFK, stick the car in long term parking, and take the tram to the DL terminal -- which is FULL of unhappy looking folks. Hit the interactive kiosk at about 1130 to learn that our flight is cancelled and we need to go get in the re-booking line.

Got to be good friends with our line-mates over the next 3 and 1/2 hours (since every rebooking transaction takes at least 20 minutes).

Like the four young folks from Latvia who came in yesterday on Finnair, got cxl'd out of their KMIA flight, and wound up deciding to go rent a car and drive. (4 of them, straight thru, probably make it in 24 hrs to pick up their cruise on Sat).

Like the fellow from Seattle who came in on Air France. He was one of the victims of the de-ice fiasco. They had him on the flight to KSEA and it was de-iced and away from the gate, but never got off. Today he was trying to arrange standby to KATL hoping to connect from there to KSEA.

Like the two young guys trying to attend a friends wedding in LA. They wound up getting standby on the 6:30 to LAX. Standby numbers 47 and 48. Long odds, I'd say.

We finally got to the agent and were offered standby numbers 15 and 16 for the 0815 flight tomorrow morning to KPBI or confirmed seats on the 0815 on Monday morning. Since we were supposed to come back on Monday to go to work on Tuesday we said the h*** with it and cancelled.

We have a year to rebook on a DL flight to recover the price of our tickets. Lost one night in the (expensive) hotel in Palm Beach. Went back to Connecticut and drowned our sorrows in a dinner at a really nice restaurant.

Kudos to the DL customer service folks, who all appeared to be working hard and doing their darned'est to help folks. But they had absolutely nothing to work with.

On reflection, a nice object lesson on what happens when you perturb a complex system operating at 100% of nameplate capacity with ZERO% slack resources.

Frank

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
      #143741 - 02/15/07 04:50 PM

Sir Ralfus - re>>"unnaceptable" and promised refunds<<

Mmmmmmm, interesting, I watched that same interview and I could's sworn that he'd said "not acceptable and we've taken steps to assure that it doesn't happen again"?

I see that tonight O'Reilly and "da judge" are advising people to get "pro-bono or class action" legal representation. You working at getting some of that for your deal on that commuter jet?

best, randy

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Re: Deja vu all over again [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #143747 - 02/15/07 05:09 PM

This story says the airline will offer refunds and free flights (it's on Salon.com; you may have to let a brief commercial play before seeing the story).

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Re: Deja vu all over again [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #143748 - 02/15/07 05:09 PM

Sir Randy--
Naw, but I did make money this week on the airlines.
Took a voluntay bump twice on one two-leg trip. Fisr, USAir gave me a free roundtrip ticket and put me on an earlier Delta flight. In Cincy Delta gave me a $200 voucher to take another bump. Believe it or not, I arrived at my destination (MKE) within 15 minutes of my original flight.
I do believe you're right about JetBlue saying "not acceptable" instead of "unacceptable." Either way, it was good to hear them face the problem quickly without squirming.

Ralph Hood

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #143750 - 02/15/07 05:13 PM

Quote:

What did make the news--at least on my computer--is that JetBlue said it was "unnaceptable" and promised refunds. In other words, they faced it head on. Shades of the Tylenol problem of old.

Yeah, better P.R. during the damage control phase but don't expect them to suddenly come up with some magical solution that prevents similar problems in the future. I've been in enough of these type of situations in the cockpit that I know that there aren't any good solutions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 40330

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG