AVSIG: Replacement Power Supply? wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gary Rima - TKI
Public Guest

Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Plano, Texas
Re: Replacement Power Supply? [Re: Jim Bell]
      #140534 - 01/15/07 06:52 PM

If Dell boxes won't take an industry standard power supply, then obviously your choices are limited. ANOTHER reason to never buy a Dell system, IMHO! (Not that Dell is alone in using proprietary components which don't follow industry standards.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sean Franklin
Top Gun

Reged: 08/15/04
Loc: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Re: Replacement Power Supply? [Re: Gary Rima - TKI]
      #140576 - 01/16/07 09:48 AM

Quote:

If Dell boxes won't take an industry standard power supply, then obviously your choices are limited. ANOTHER reason to never buy a Dell system, IMHO! (Not that Dell is alone in using proprietary components which don't follow industry standards.)

Provided a company makes parts available at a reasonable price, and that they are financially stable enough to be around for a while, a somewhat proprietary nature doesn't bother me. Dell offers a replacement supply for <$30, how can you go wrong with that? My Dell laptop keyboard went bad (helped by a soft drink), new one cost me $25.

I buy a fair number of computers, almost all of them Dell because of the support I've gotten in the past.

--------------------
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Replacement Power Supply? [Re: Sean Franklin]
      #140641 - 01/16/07 06:14 PM

<< I buy a fair number of computers, almost all of them Dell because of the support I've gotten in the past. >>

Whew. Hot button here. I've been buying Dell for a variety of reasons since before they were Dell. When my Kids all went off to school, I got them Dell laptops because they were good machines, had 24/7 support, and offered an on-site extended maintenance contract. Unfortunately, I've discovered that for every machine I needed the maintenance contract, sometimes more than once, and their idea of "on-site" is to send you the component along with instructions on how to disassemble the laptop and replace the component yourself. Or call India again, wait on hold awhile, and pitch a fit for 45 minutes until I can get to a supervisor who can authorize actual "on site". I think they're still better than HP, but not by much, and am pondering alternatives as college approaches.

Regards,
Joe

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Replacement Power Supply? [Re: Gary Rima - TKI]
      #140659 - 01/16/07 09:56 PM

Gary,

>>Not that Dell is alone in using proprietary components which don't follow industry standards.<<

Nope, pretty much follows the Apple model (and ya know I got a few of 'em) ;-) Quite a ways back when I got an eMac, the proprietary VGA output cable for a second mon was ~ US$19.00...not alot, just irritating, especially as the eMac display died from a *known* fault ~3 weeks after the warranty expired.

The box still works fine, but IF I hadn't ordered that cable at the outset, AND the eMac was my only box, THEN I woulda been a little annoyed...

>>ANOTHER reason to never buy a Dell system, IMHO!<<

Not so long ago I was a proponent of Dell systems for value/performance. The TS from overseas, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, has degenerated into chaos. Useless. Interesting that Apple shut down their outsourced ops before they even got started...Or, if you read this dated article, it might get worse <shrug>.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Replacement Power Supply? [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #140660 - 01/16/07 10:07 PM

Joe,

Hot button indeed as regards Dell. My message (#140659) to Gary R. gives my point of view these days...

Not sure what the alternatives are, I've bought my machine for this year from Falcon. They seem to know what they're talking about, tech-wise, and appear willing to provide good service. Otoh, when I actually *get* it (2 weeks or so), I guess I'll see how that works out ;-) They also cost a bunch 'o $$$, even on the low-end.

Jay Apt
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Pennsylvania
Replacement Power Supply? [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #140669 - 01/17/07 02:15 AM

Hi Joe,

I have had the same experience, and Dell is at the bottom of the pile in the
yearly rankings for tech support.

So - when daughter #1 went to college last fall, she went with a MacBook.
Very good maintenance, and the college has their own depot-level maintenance
onsite. Nice people at Mac too.

I'm a PC guy, but just bought another MacBook for my wife to replace her IBM
NetVista (which was getting long in the tooth).

On the other hand, I have a Dell 27" monitor on a UPS truck getting delivered
today!

Best,
Jay

--------------------
Jay Apt
www.OrbitExperience.com

Steve Stombaugh (IND)
Public Guest

Reged: 05/01/04
Loc: Indiana
      #140675 - 01/17/07 03:13 AM

Ditto. I also bought my college-bound daughter a Dell laptop, because of included 'next day, onsite' service. Hard drive failed after a week, and I waited three weeks for a NEW drive, versus a refurbished drive.

Then I found out they wanted to send it to me to install (daughter and laptop were 60 miles away). Sure, they'd sent the drive to her, at her dorm. Yeah, right.

A buddy is a re-seller for Dell and HP. He claims HP has its own service guys.

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Replacement Power Supply? [Re: Jay Apt]
      #140677 - 01/17/07 03:18 AM

<<...she went with a MacBook>>

Good idea.

<< the college has their own depot-level maintenance
onsite. >>

Interesting consideration. We'll be doing the college gig next year. I hadn't considered the college would have its own computer tech support. When I was there the techs were maintaining the punch card machines. Probably best for me to see what the techs at her college like to work on.

<< On the other hand, I have a Dell 27" monitor on a UPS truck getting delivered today! >>

In all fairness I haven't had much trouble with their big PC's. Those laptops, though...

Regards,
Joe

Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Reged: 05/27/04
Loc: KSUW
      #140684 - 01/17/07 05:49 AM

Well, the DHL man was standing at the door of the shop when I arrived this morning - two day delivery was.

After we thawed his fingers enough to remove the Dell PS box from his fingers, I've installed the replacement power supply and all is well (which is why I can post this from the shop).

I'll watch the system and if I have any more problems I'll certainly get a third party high wattage replacement power supply, probably from PCP&C.

As to large LCD displays, I bought a refurbished Dell 24" display last year, and had a problem with the DVI connector. After one longish call through India, mostly on hold, I had a >*NEW*< 24" display the next morning.

Dell certainly has it's highs and lows and the Indian call center is an irritation, but on balance I continue to be happy with them (7 systems and counting).

- TT

--------------------
Tom Tyson-A&P

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with fancy watches.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4333

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG