AVSIG: Bonanza or Columbia wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Beechcraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Rick Durden
Top Gun

Reged: 06/07/04
Re: Bonanza or Columbia [Re: Joel Aiken (RDU)]
      #173747 - 10/31/07 05:10 PM

Joel,

>>I have the opposite case with the Columbia. With one or two pilots and regardless of fuel load, the CG is forward of limits. I have to carry something heavy in the aft baggage area to get the CG in the envelope.<<

I had that problem when I flew freight in the Cessna 404 - with just the pilot it was out of c.g. forward. The company kept two-5 gallon collapseable plastic water jugs in the back end. When I flew empty, I just filled them with water - never a problem getting it at an FBO. When I was loaded near gross, I dumped the water out and collapsed the jugs.

Carrying one might work for you.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joel Aiken (RDU)
Public Guest

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Bonanza or Columbia [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #173774 - 10/31/07 08:05 PM

Hi Scott
Fit and Finish are top-notch on the Columbia. I have heard that's a nice advantage over the Cirrus, even though I've personally never been in a Cirrus.

Columbia aircraft will probably be called a Cessna something-or-other.. (You've probably read about Columbia being sold... most likely to Cessna, but it's not complete yet) I guess Cessna won't use the same 350 and 400 model numbers that Columbia used, that would be confusing with their existing model numbers.

I even had a tower controller call me "Cessna 1334X" the other day... took me a few moments before I realized he was talking to me.

Joel

Joel Aiken (RDU)
Public Guest

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Bonanza or Columbia [Re: Rick Durden]
      #173775 - 10/31/07 08:09 PM

Rick,
I like the collapsible water jug idea. I'll be doing that right away!

Thanks for a great suggestion
Joel

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
      #173790 - 10/31/07 09:08 PM

Joel -- It's either going to be "Cessna 1334X" or "Cirrus 1334X". I'd guess
that you'd prefer the former to the latter.... (Sorry, Andy N.)

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
      #173878 - 11/01/07 08:50 PM

Hope Cessna does not with Columbia what Piper did with Stinson.

Rick Durden
Top Gun

Reged: 06/07/04
Re: Bonanza or Columbia [Re: Kcid LlirreM]
      #173884 - 11/01/07 09:08 PM

Dick,

After a talk with Jack Pelton, the president of Cessna, a month ago I came away with the impression that they want a go fast airplane without having to pay the horrendous certification costs and the modified Cardinal that they flew at OSH two years ago isn't going to cut it (that part wasn't in the conversation, just extrapolation from observation and conversation with others). I think they want Columbia badly, plus, I think they'll immediately put a BRS on it and turn it into one heck of an airplane (Jack is determined to put the BRS in the entire piston line).

When the president of Cessna owns and flies a Cessna 195 and shows up for the entire weekend of the 195 fly-in, one comes away with the impression that he's pretty dedicated to the piston end of the line as well as the turbines.

Good grief, the guy even wore a hat with a long pony tail on the back. He's a breath of fresh air. He owns Dwane Wallace's 195 and a brand new 206 and his wife has a 162 on order. I think they are serious about wanting Columiba - maybe because they really want Cirrus and couldn't find a way to buy it.

Cheers,
Rick

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28345

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG