AVSIG: iTunes/iPod Services wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
iTunes/iPod Services
      #139804 - 01/08/07 02:15 AM

All,

I should know better than to be annoyed, BUT...

<rant>Why do I need iPodService.exe (3680K) and iTunesHelper.exe (3536K) running all the time? I don't *have* an iPod (though I do purchase music from iTunes from time to time, which is easy and fairly painless $-wise). Easy enough to shut 'em down, or disable from msconfig.exe, just irritates me. </rant>

Thanks for your time <G>.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Gifford
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Montgomery County MD
Re: iTunes/iPod Services [Re: Jim Bell]
      #139882 - 01/08/07 01:11 PM

Because software developers want their little darlings to appear to be swift like the wind... and what could be swifter than a program that is already loaded into RAM?

Alas, when EVERYTHING gets loaded into RAM, well, then nothing runs very swiftly.

Everyone else in my family uses America Online for email and instant messaging and so on... so our computers are always hauling bits for a boatload of applications that are tangential to AOL.

I wonder how much warming of the planet is caused by this milliwatt-at-a-time waste of processor cycles in billions of PCs?

--------------------
Be well,
-Jim

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: iTunes/iPod Services [Re: Jim Gifford]
      #139914 - 01/08/07 09:43 PM

Jim,

>>Because software developers want their little darlings to appear to be swift like the wind... and what could be swifter than a program that is already loaded into RAM?<<

Back in the day when I programmed 'multimedia' titles (Director/high-level scripting), the real skill was loading/unloading c*** from RAM, to make room for other stuff. I know I'm starting to sound like a curmudgeon these days, but I'd like to audit an entry level CS class and see what's being taught these days re: malloc/new/whatever...Or, I suppose I could just buy Vista with my upgrade coupon from XPP, to run on the new Falcon 4GB box ;-)

>>Everyone else in my family uses America Online for email and instant messaging and so on...<<

So, you live with aliens, lots of us do :-) AOL?????

>>I wonder how much warming of the planet is caused by this milliwatt-at-a-time waste of processor cycles in billions of PCs?<<

I love that... the guy (David Pogue) that does the Circuits column for the NYT could have some fun with that <G>.

Jim Gifford
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Montgomery County MD
Re: iTunes/iPod Services [Re: Jim Bell]
      #139974 - 01/09/07 11:01 AM

Quote:

but I'd like to audit an entry level CS class and see what's being taught

I surely HOPE that students get to analyze and appreciate the sort of code written for Commodores and other early personal computers with very limited memory. The first 128K Macs could do a very significant percentage of the tasks today's multi-gigabyte computers can do. I don't really want to go back to the original Macintosh... but I do think that tightly written code is simply better than fat piggy code.

Whoever writes an application that ties up 3 megs of RAM just to be READY to accomplish some background task every once in a while is purely silly. Ten lashes with a ribbon cable! Arrrgh.

--------------------
Be well,
-Jim

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: iTunes/iPod Services [Re: Jim Gifford]
      #140033 - 01/10/07 02:33 AM

Jim,

>>I don't really want to go back to the original Macintosh... but I do think that tightly written code is simply better than fat piggy code. <<

I have no desire to go back either. The lean stuff is easier to debug and maintain (assuming it's properly commented, something else I wonder about). The number of background services on all platforms that do *nothing* except eat RAM and CPU cycles 99.x% of the time...just irritating, X6800/4GB box or not (mine, which may actually arrive before summer ;-)).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1654

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG