AVSIG: RAMBUS nomenclature wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1
Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)
Public Guest

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Ventura, CA
RAMBUS nomenclature
      #135415 - 11/30/06 03:25 AM

Greetings folks.

I'm in the camp that is going to wait a while to see how the VISTA situation unfolds. Accordingly I've done a few upgrades to my existing desktop to tide me over for a year or so.

One upgrade was to increase the memory from the existing 512MB to a full GB.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 8250, which is a 3-year old 2.4GHZ Pentium 4 machine with a 533 MHZ FSB. It utilizes RAMBUS memory.

It came from Dell with two 256MB RAMBUS modules. They are Samsung parts, with the following nomenclature stamped on them:
0250 256MB/8
MR16R1628DF0-CT9 1066-32P 102

I was surprised to find that RAMBUS memory was relatively hard to find, and rather more expensive than I expected. Shopping around, I ended up buying two more 256MB modules from memorysuppliers.com. They delivered the memory quickly.

But -- the nomenclature stamped on the modules is slightly different. The new modules are labeled:
0514 256MB/8
MR16R1628EG0-CT9 1066-32P 102

Do any of you true-blue geeks out there know if the different part nomenclature is important? At first blush, the important numbers appear to jive -- 256MB, 1066 Mhz, 32ns.

But I have no idea if the DF0 vs EG0 is important, or not. Perhaps one is ECC and the other Non-ECC? I'll confess I don't know if the original memory was ECC or not. I've looked online but can't seem to find much.

So any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Tom H.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: RAMBUS nomenclature [Re: Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)]
      #135418 - 11/30/06 04:21 AM

Personally I've gotten too lazy to deal with the details any more. I find a reputable memory place, I tell them what I've got, and they tell me what works in it. If you check the CMOS, it might tell you what's in there now is ECC or not. The place you bought it from should be able to tell you what you got from them.

Luc VanBavel / CYQB
Public Guest

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Quebec City, QC
      #135428 - 11/30/06 09:19 AM

Tom,

I happen to have the same computer as you, a Dimension 8250, and just upgraded it ahead of Vista with an additional 1GB of RAMBUS for a total of 2GB. I also have a fairly decent 128Mb Radeon 9700 graphic card that runs XP at 1680x1050 resolution quite nicely. If you have a slower graphic card, Vista may not work. I believe 128Mb is a minimum.

With 1GB of RAM you will be a little short to run Vista confortably, although it will work.

I found a pair of 512Mb RAMBUS components on eBay and I paid about $400 total. Yes RAMBUS is very expensive indeed.

I was less worried about compatibility, because original Dell RAMBUS is easy to find on eBay. So I don't really know the nomenclature. All I know is that they are Dell PC1066 32ns and they turned out to be identical to those originally installed in my 8250. I believe I saw that they were manufactured by Samsung as well.

To upgrade to 2GB you will have to throw away your pair of 256Mb modules and buy $800 worth of memory. That no longer appears financially justified, I think. You can buy a new computer for that money today.

My seller was twisdomc.

--Luc

PS: Incidentally, Dell reports on their web site with the upgrade advisor that a Dimension 8250 can only be upgraded to 1.5GB. It is a typo, the max RAM is 2GB.

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
      #135735 - 12/02/06 10:13 AM

Tom,

What sort of price are your getting for the memory. I found that with my Dell 8200 the memory was so expensive it was more cost effective to retire the system!

jerry

Tom Henderson (KOXR/SoCal)
Public Guest

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Ventura, CA
Re: RAMBUS nomenclature [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #135844 - 12/03/06 01:37 AM

Hi Jerry-

The additional 512MB cost $200.

I also put in a larger hard drive, but that was only $60 on sale at Fry's.

I started out thinking I would replace the old Dell with something new. But I'm uneasy with the upcoming VISTA situation, so rather than buy new now I'm going to wait until the VISTA situation plays out.

So I decided to put a few bucks into the old dog and try to get another couple years out of it.

We'll see how it goes.

-TH

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1518

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG