AVSIG: Fake boarding pass generator wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
Fake boarding pass generator
      #131467 - 10/28/06 05:52 AM

The fake boarding pass generator
    Security researcher Christopher Soghoian created the Northwest Airline Boarding Pass Generator in the hope of spurring Congress to look closely at the nation's aviation security policies, which he calls "security theater."

The site lets anyone create a facsimile of a Northwest Airlines boarding pass, with whatever name they choose.

On Friday, Congress heard Soghoian's message loud and clear. But instead of promising to reform broken airport security procedures, Rep. Edward Markey (D- Massachusetts), a member of the House Homeland Security committee known for his defenses of privacy, wants the site shut down and Soghoian arrested.

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Fake boarding pass generator [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #131501 - 10/28/06 12:26 PM

I read about that last night. Apparently "the authorities" said he won't be arrested, but the boarding pass generator has been taken down.

I live close to the MSP airport. In the dead of winter, my wife and I used to walk through the airport for a change of pace. I've often wondered if there was a valid way to get through security just to walk around like we used to. I also used to go to the airport to meet friends at the various airline clubs, but that too has stopped.

John

Dan Barclay [ORG]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Fake boarding pass generator [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #131510 - 10/28/06 02:19 PM

>> I also used to go to the airport to meet friends at the various airline
>> clubs, but that too has stopped.

Not a problem. Go to an airline rep and ask for a security pass. You'll
need to show your club card and the pass is only to go where it says to go.

If they write the pass only to go to the club, that's all it's good for so
don't go walkabout in the airport. If it's just a pass through security,
have at it (but don't do nuthin stupid).

Dan

Doug Ritter
Top Gun

Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Gilbert, Arizona, USA
Re: Fake boarding pass generator [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #131518 - 10/28/06 03:20 PM

On two occasions when I've needed to for various reasons, I just bought a fully refundable ticket and then got the money back. Seemed like it was going to be lots quicker and simpler than dealing with getting a "pass."

--------------------
Doug Ritter
www.DougRitter.com
www.equipped.org

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Re: Fake boarding pass generator [Re: Dan Barclay [ORG]]
      #131533 - 10/28/06 04:27 PM

I tried to get through security with my pilot's license once. They just laughed.

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

J. Wiley
Aviation Researcher

Reged: 05/01/04
Re: Fake boarding pass generator [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #131542 - 10/28/06 06:07 PM

Quote:

On Friday, Congress heard Soghoian's message loud and clear. But instead of promising to reform broken airport security procedures, Rep. Edward Markey (D- Massachusetts), a member of the House Homeland Security committee known for his defenses of privacy, wants the site shut down and Soghoian arrested.[/LIST]

Markey has never shown himself to be a bright bulb in the chandelier however.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #131568 - 10/28/06 10:08 PM

Quote:

Apparently "the authorities" said he won't be arrested, but the boarding pass generator has been taken down.

Hmm... Now it seems the FBI seized his computers last night, so perhaps the TSA will "make an example" of him...

http://slightparanoia.blogspot.com/

John Clark (SBA)
Public Guest

Reged: 03/02/05
      #131616 - 10/29/06 03:24 PM

"so perhaps the TSA will "make an example" of him..."

There is a line between proving a point and breaking the law. Like many before him, I think this lad crossed the line. Some years ago, pre TSA, a news crew decided "to make a point" at my home airport. Ther climbed a fence and entered the air carrier ramp. Promptly arrested, they pleaded "making a point." Didn't work.

I could show the press a lot of weak spots in security systems, but I'm not going to. I will, however, report problems to the proper authorities.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Fake boarding pass generator [Re: John Clark (SBA)]
      #131618 - 10/29/06 03:42 PM

Scary Mary comes to mind...

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Re: Fake boarding pass generator [Re: J. Wiley]
      #131677 - 10/30/06 12:43 PM

On a related theme, I was just at Lowe's and got to talking with the sales clerk. He told me that they now keep their cash-register tape under lock and key.

Apparently, someone stole a bunch of it and used his home computer to print bogus Lowe's receipts which he used to get refunds for things he never bought. I don't quite get how that worked, but apparently he was into Lowe's for a quarter million dollars.

Lowe's now demands your home telephone number for cash purchases - just one more reason not to shop there.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10252

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG