AVSIG: Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Jay Apt
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Pennsylvania
Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives).
      #127525 - 09/22/06 08:49 PM

Guys, I need your help.

My desktop computer motherboard tonight went hard down - mechanical component failure. It was a Gigabyte Pentium 4 Socket 478 board, a GA-8IHXP.

It was running 2 EIDE drives in RAID 1 (mirror) from the onboard Promise RAID controller. Plus an 80 GB IDE for a PhotoShop scratch disk. Plus a Zip drive (yes, I'm a dinosaur; even have a Jazz drive on the SCSI card).

I've got 1 GB of PC1066 RDRAM in 4 modules.

Ideally, I'd just replace the mobo, but I can't seem to find one on the web. eBay comes up empty.

What is the best thing to do? I am not salivating for more speed, and the big thing I really want to do is just drop the IDE drives into the new hardware and pick up where I left off. Most of the important files were backed up yesterday, but still...

I'm not quite thinking straight - bit of a loss, and my attempts to fix the mobo went nowhere. So, suggestions from other good builders very much appreciated.

Some random thoughts: I use RAID 1, use the onboard sound and LAN.

Happy to upgrade, but I really would like to keep the 2 250 MB EIDE drives just like they are. If that is not possible (I know most systems now are SATA), I'd at least like to get some data moved from them (I *think* I can do that by plugging one into another system here, but am in no shape to check at the moment).

Thanks.
Jay

--------------------
Jay Apt
www.OrbitExperience.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ron Rosenfeld (EPM)
Public Guest

Loc: Maine
Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). [Re: Jay Apt]
      #127531 - 09/22/06 10:49 PM

Jay,

Try www.newegg.com

You can search for MB's by various features.

--ron

--------------------
--ron

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). [Re: Jay Apt]
      #127535 - 09/22/06 11:27 PM

Jay,

In the last system I threw together (about 6 months ago) the motherboard had connections for both ATA100 and SATA drives. That seemed fairly common then - don't imagine it's changed drastically this fast. According to the theory I've heard you can plug your IDE drive into an ATA100 interface and it'll work - just not at ATA100 speeds. Of course that's the theory per "the internet" (which is worth what you paid for it).

I'm about to test out this theory in reverse - my email server just sent me a note saying that one of its RAID1 drives went west. This is a Pentium II system so it goes back a ways. Now we'll find out if a modern EIDE drive will really work on a system that never heard of any modifiers to "IDE".

One issue you'll have to contend with is operating system flexibility. If you drop your drives into a motherboard with a new chipset - and new interfaces for video, sound, and so forth - the old operating system installation may have a spasm or two trying to get itself working. The more modern the OS, the more likely it'll have the flexibility. Of course it still may not have heard of some of the stuff on the motherboard.

Hmmm...don't you have a graduate student you can give this problem to?

Regards,
Joe

Jay Apt
Top Gun

Re: Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). [Re: Ron Rosenfeld (EPM)]
      #127546 - 09/23/06 06:41 AM

NewEgg was the first place I tried, but thanks! I generally find they are the best these days.

--------------------
Jay Apt
www.OrbitExperience.com

Jay Apt
Top Gun

Re: Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #127547 - 09/23/06 06:45 AM

Thanks Joe!

I had not realized that IDE and SATA might play together. I'll look around and check Tom's Hardware Guide and the other usual places I go when building.

We try to keep our students busy with homework - which reminds me, I need to do a problem set this weekend. But you are right, if I found the right one, s/he would sort this out quickly!

Best,
Jay

--------------------
Jay Apt
www.OrbitExperience.com

Ron Rosenfeld (EPM)
Public Guest

Loc: Maine
Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). [Re: Jay Apt]
      #127554 - 09/23/06 08:29 AM

Jay,

I did see a Gigabyte board with the correct socket; room for you memory, and
ability to run your drives. I think it had three PCI slots. But it was in a
micro-ATX form. There were some others in ATX form.

The IDE drives should run on an ATA100 connector. I've done that with Dell
MB's.

--------------------
--ron

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
      #127557 - 09/23/06 09:54 AM

Jay,

I'm sure you have been here...

http://shop1.outpost.com/category/Outpost/Electronic+Components/Computer+Components/Motherboards?accipterAreaString=

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Jay Apt
Top Gun

Re: Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). [Re: Jeff Hartmann CIC]
      #127562 - 09/23/06 10:38 AM

Thanks Jeff!

I had not tried Frys. Looks like an off-brand one might do the trick, except I have RDRAM and it wants SDRAM (also only 2 memory slots on a quick look). Great site - I had forgotten about them!

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4137243?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Best,
Jay

--------------------
Jay Apt
www.OrbitExperience.com

Nigel Thompson(1D2)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #127565 - 09/23/06 12:03 PM

Jay, I think you may have more of a problem in that you probably won't be able to take just one of the drives out of the RAID array and plug it into a regular IDE slot on another mobo and expect it to boot, or even be readable. I don't think any single system drive from a raid array will do that, the raid controller has its own format and file access methods. I tried this once with no success (running two drives from a RAID adaptor in a PCI slot which looked like to SCSI drive to the OS) but hopefully ymmv. I think the only easy solution is to replace the mobo "exactly". You may get lucky in changing to another Gigabyte 478 board that has the same HAL (no real way of knowing this but it is a fairly good bet with the same board manufacturer and chip set,)and with the same RAID controller chip.

Are you sure it is the mobo? Not a power supply failure (much more common)?

Good luck.

Nigel.

PS. You bought another plane yet? Doug Ranz just bought a C205.

Jay Apt
Top Gun

Re: Help: Dead motherboard (IDE drives). [Re: Nigel Thompson(1D2)]
      #127573 - 09/23/06 02:01 PM

Thanks Nigel.

I can see that happening with RAID 0 (striping), but I have previously been able to read (and actually boot from) a RAID 1 (mirror) array single drive just fine.

No luck so far chasing down a replacement mobo, or a substitute that can run my Rambus memory with a socket 478 and AGP graphics. Got the latter 2, with an ECS board, but it runs SDRAM (and has only 2 slots - I have 4 x 256 RDRAM).

Sigh. If I have to upgrade, I will, but ...

No hangars yet at 9G1, and thats where I want to base. My guess is late next summer. Great on Doug's 205 - wow!

Jay

--------------------
Jay Apt
www.OrbitExperience.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4640

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG