AVSIG: MS Flight Simulator X wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1
Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Annandale, VA
MS Flight Simulator X
      #125596 - 09/05/06 06:25 PM Attachment (151 downloads)

Well, I downloaded the demo version of Microsoft's newest version of FS, Flight Simulator X. (Is that X for verions ten, eXperimental, of "eXpect bugs"? We'll see...)

The Demo itself comes with only four airplanes, and you can play it for something like twenty minutes before it says "game over". You can restart it again, but I don't know if it will expire for good after some many plays or days. Downloading and installing it was incredibly time-consuming. The zipped, self-installing file is 649 MB, so without broadband, it is impossible. The graphics are somewhat improved, but they have been changed somewhat. You do not default to Meigs field in a 172, (Instead, an exotic location in the West Indies is your new home) nor do you see the aircraft panel. You are outside the aircraft. Switching to the traditional panel view takes some navigation of the menus.

Most of the controls are the same as FS 2004. This is mostly just an evolutionary improvement from that version. It takes much longer to load, but controllability seems the same. To take full advantage of the graphical improvements, you'll probably need a very high-end graphics card supported by a serious processor.

It has 21 aircraft, including two helicopters and an ultralight. Gone, however, are the Wright Flyer and the Spirit of St. Louis. It brags that you will be able to fly in formation via multiplayer play (though it seems to me the lag time is gonna kill somebody!) You will also be able to play Air Traffic Controller.

It will be released October 17th, and the "deluxe" version on 2 DVDs will sell for $65.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/default.htm

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

"Hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of stark terror."

Edited by Jim Tavenner (09/05/06 06:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Ashland, Oregon
Re: MS Flight Simulator X [Re: Jim Tavenner]
      #125609 - 09/05/06 08:29 PM

Hey! Are you related to the "Tavenner" of Macon, GA, who did the cool segment on All Things Considered tonight?

--------------------
"Why not be a nihilist? A man has to believe in something."
-Bernie Gunther

Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Re: MS Flight Simulator X [Re: B. Butler (Oregonian)]
      #125610 - 09/05/06 08:58 PM

No. What was the cool segment?

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
      #125760 - 09/07/06 03:12 AM

Jim,

>>...you'll probably need a very high-end graphics card supported by a serious processor.<<

MSFS is still CPU bound, always has been, most likely always will be. A high-end graphics card is a plus, but the CPU is the deal. The demo is also running under DirectX 9.x, not what I understand to be the MSFS X native DirectX X environment with Vista. Figger what a new high-end X compatible graphics card is gonna cost ;-)

As a side-note, if you have a spare drive, loading MSFS and any add-on scenery etc. on it (or a partition on that non-OS drive)) will improve performance noticeably, at least in my experience.

AMD chips still (arguably) may run MSFS best, serious fast Intel don't do too bad either, and the new Core 2 Duo chip, I'm tempted <G>.

RAM is another issue. I've still never found the real answer to that, as regards current MSFS 9 performance. Then again, with XP, 2GB RAM, that's a nice spot, for all-around performance.

I did dnld the demo, complete waste of time for me. I'll stay with 9.x for awhile.

Curtis Sanford (SQL)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/09/04
Re: MS Flight Simulator X [Re: Jim Bell]
      #126913 - 09/16/06 10:00 PM

Quote:

I did dnld the demo, complete waste of time for me. I'll stay with 9.x for awhile.

You could have saved time by watching this video review of FSX evidently produced by some fans of X-Plane. In poor taste, and very funny.

-Curt

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: MS Flight Simulator X [Re: Curtis Sanford (SQL)]
      #126919 - 09/17/06 06:10 AM

Funny indeed...;-)

Might not get to see it there much longer; some video producers are getting on YouTube's case over copyright.

For those who don't recognize it, it's a scene from the splendid 2004 movie Der Untergang (Downfall).

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Richard Palm (PAO)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: PUDBY
Re: MS Flight Simulator X [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #126933 - 09/17/06 09:44 AM

That was a riot. I don't know whether the segment is short enough to qualify as fair use, but it's too bad people are squawking about copyright, because it makes me want to see the movie again.

Jim Tavenner
Top Gun

Re: MS Flight Simulator X [Re: Curtis Sanford (SQL)]
      #127001 - 09/17/06 07:14 PM

Boy, that actor playing the part of Bill Gates was so perfect! The resemblence was uncanny! ;=D

--------------------
-Jim T.
FO, MIA, B-737

Richard Palm (PAO)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: PUDBY
      #127330 - 09/20/06 04:26 PM

Quote:

Boy, that actor playing the part of Bill Gates was so perfect! The resemblence was uncanny! ;=D

You mean he wasn't portraying George Bush? <g,d,&r>

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2794

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG