AVSIG: RV-12 Wings in a Week Class wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> AVSIG Marketplace

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: RV-12 Class and Contract Construction [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #303219 - 11/08/10 08:04 PM

Good to hear! An assembly line is nest...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: RV-12 Class and Contract Construction [Re: Bruce Gorrell [EQY]]
      #303227 - 11/08/10 08:41 PM

Assembly line....

So that's why he wants us all to "visit" the shop....

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Tom Tyson [SUW]
Glider Guider

Reged: 05/27/04
Loc: KSUW
Re: RV-12 Insurance Question [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #311360 - 02/18/11 08:19 AM

QUESTION MOVED TO THE "AIRCRAFT" SECTION:
Quote:

... Do you have to carry insurance against someone suing you if they have an accident, and one of your aircraft, parts or whole is in the aircraft that crashes? ...

Anne, I'm sorry to be so long getting back to you - your question (and it's a good one) slipped past me.

I do not carry any product liability insurance (and in fact I've had trouble even getting "Trip and Fall" liability insurance). When I looked into it, the price was such that it would increase the price of the airplane to a point that I wouldn't be able to sell one.

What I have done is to try to make sure that the customer (only one at this point, a retired Superior Court Judge) understands that we are a company providing assembly services to the kit owner. If something happens there are no "deep pockets", I will not contest a suit, and the heirs (and their lawyers) will own some partially assembled airplane parts (at least until I sell airplane #2 which the company currently owns), some aircraft specific tools (fluting pliers, rivet squeezers, rivet guns and the like), a few old PCs and some miscellaneous office furniture. The large power tools and the shop itself belong to outside individuals and the general purpose tools belong to the employees.

This was the model that Questair and several other small aircraft companies work(ed) under and my understanding is that this is the way that Robinson Helicopter operates.

I wish that I had the ability to do otherwise, but that's the reality that we live in today.

- TT

Any comments from the lawyers here?

Edited by Tom Tyson [GSO] (02/18/11 08:47 AM)

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: RV-12 Insurance Question [Re: Tom Tyson [SUW]]
      #311481 - 02/19/11 01:00 PM

Quote:

If something happens there are no "deep pockets", I will not contest a suit, and the heirs (and their lawyers) will own some partially assembled airplane parts (at least until I sell airplane #2 which the company currently owns), some aircraft specific tools (fluting pliers, rivet squeezers, rivet guns and the like), a few old PCs and some miscellaneous office furniture. The large power tools and the shop itself belong to outside individuals and the general purpose tools belong to the employees.

I don't see any of your personal property listed, so I'm assuming that there's some kind of "wall" between what the company owns and what you own. I'd be concerned how well that wall would stand up in a court case. (Unless your personal assets aren't much better. ;)

I'm reminded of a classic Bloom County comic strip in which Steve Dallas says "Never, ever sue a poor person". It was added to my understanding of life. <g>

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG