AVSIG: Handheld GPS wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> AVSIG Marketplace

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Ralph Hood]
      #300143 - 10/04/10 07:28 AM

Garmin Nuvi

I have had 4 generations of Garmin GPSs. And have used every one of them when traveling in rental cars.

The Nuvis are small,light, flat and the power cord/mount is also small and easy to carry.

And I really like that with Garmin, you can buy a lifetime subscription to maps/POI updates.

The Nuvis have internal batteries so you could carry them and use them as a handheld when walking around

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Ralph Hood]
      #300155 - 10/04/10 12:41 PM

I also like the Garmin Nuvi units. A little bigger than a pack of cigarettes. I purchased mine specifically to use in rental cars when traveling. I sometimes use it locally, but more as a curiosity.

John

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #300176 - 10/04/10 06:15 PM

Larry,

Which phone are you using?

We are looking at moving to Sprint and went yesterday to see the Samsung Epic g4 and HTC Evo. Very nice and so fast on the 4G network.

I want to dump my iPhone so bad!!

Edited by Jerry Kurata [KLVK] (10/04/10 06:15 PM)

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #300182 - 10/04/10 07:56 PM

I'm on Verizon with the HTC Incredible. Very nice phone. The EVO is very similar though except for the larger display and overall size.

Coyle Schwab - DPA
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: St Charles, IL
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #300197 - 10/04/10 10:54 PM

I'm a Garmin fan, but I've had poor luck with the 1490T. I bought a refurbished one from Tiger Direct. Failed on the way home. Seller replaced it with another refurb. It seemed to work ok ... until I took a couple of long trips where it decided to power itself down from time to time.

Consulted with Garmin, updated firmware, etc. No improvment. Garmin replaced my GPS with yet another refurb 1490T (it was shipped with out of date operating firmware, BTW). Guess what? Same problem.

I've emailed Garmin to see what their next step is. I think I'd like the unit aside from this nagging issue.

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Coyle Schwab - DPA]
      #300209 - 10/05/10 03:14 AM

Hmm, power problem with the cigarette lighter outlet in the vehicle? :)

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Coyle Schwab - DPA
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: St Charles, IL
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #300222 - 10/05/10 07:11 AM

>>Hmm, power problem with the cigarette lighter outlet in the vehicle? :) <<

Don't think so, Terry.

When the cig lighter's power is interrupted, the GPS beeps and informs you, then gives an option to continue on the internal battery. In this case the device just goes dead, then powers itself up again (usually) with full power-up diagnostics. Almost every time the GPS remembers the route it was on but, of course, reinitiates navigation from the current location.

Most of the time it's simply a nuisance. A couple of events have been at a really inconvenient time - very frustrating.

One of Garmin's tech svcs folks seemed to know about the problem and indicated a software bug that caused a reset if the unit momentarily lost satellite reception. An upgrade was supposedly the fix. Did that and still had the issue.

Sent Garmin an email last evening; we'll see what develops. For now, however, I cannot recommend the Nuvi 1490T. Or apparently the Nuvi 1300, given my friend's similar issue with hers.

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Coyle Schwab - DPA]
      #300336 - 10/06/10 09:00 PM

Coyle,

There was just a big recall of Garmin Nuvi units for battery issues. You might check and see if your unit is on the recall list.

Jerry

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #300405 - 10/07/10 06:09 PM

Quote:

We are looking at moving to Sprint and went yesterday to see the Samsung Epic g4 and HTC Evo. Very nice and so fast on the 4G network.

Three of my Sprint-using friends have and like the HTC Evo. Main issue is shorter battery life than an iPhone 3GS.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Handheld GPS [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #300418 - 10/07/10 07:47 PM

I just picked up a larger-capacity (1750mAh vs 1350) battery for my HTC Incredible. On the first charge now but the difference is quite noticeable. This one was the same size as the original but there are even larger ones available that are thicker and include a replacement back cover to accommodate the increased size. Looks like there's a 3500mAh option available for the Evo which is more than double the original capacity. It's also easy to swap out so, unlike the iPhone, you can carry extra charged batteries with you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8073

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG