AVSIG: Airplane for sale :-( wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> AVSIG Marketplace

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Sean Franklin
Top Gun

Reged: 08/15/04
Loc: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Airplane for sale :-(
      #225293 - 12/01/08 06:29 PM

Two years ago this month, I bought my Piper Saratoga. My plan at that time was to keep it two years, build complex/high performance time, and move into something more capable (deice and pressurized). Well, two years have passed and unfortunately moving up isn't an option economically right now. Operationally the Saratoga has been economical to run, costing us typically less than airline tickets, but when you add in the loan payment, hangar, insurance, and scheduled maintenance it's obvious that the airplane is a luxury right now that we would save money by eliminating. Also, most of our major shows in 2009 happen to be in neighboring states (two in TN and one in OK) so our need for air travel next year is minimal.

It's a beautiful airplane, a real head-turner every time we taxi onto a ramp. It's very comfortable for up to 4 people, in fact I removed the 2nd row seats and flew it as a roomy 4-seater for most of the time I owned it. All-out she'll cruise over 180kt true, I usually fly about 170kt true at 23gph ROP or 155kt true at 14gph LOP.
  • 2000.5 Piper Saratoga II TC
  • Custom Blue on Blue paint - VERY nice looking - 8/10
  • Leather 6-place interior, club seating - 8/10
  • GNS-530W #1 GPS/Comm (WAAS) with Terrain database
  • GNS-430W #2 GPS/Comm (WAAS) with Terrain database
  • MX-20 I/O Traffic MFD
  • MX-20 ChartView card ($2,000 option displays georeferenced en-route and approach charts)
  • S-Tec Fifty-Five autopilot with flight director
  • S-Tec altitude selector/alerter
  • Garmin GTX-327 transponder (Mode C)
  • StormScope lightning detector (displays on 430W, 530W, & MX-20)
  • SkyWatch active traffic detector (displays on 430W, 530W, & MX-20)
  • WSI weather receiver (displays on MX-20. Older version, unused last 2 yrs, condition not guaranteed)
  • JPI EDM-700 engine monitor with fuel flow (all 6 cyl EGT/CHT plus TIT)
  • Reiff electric engine heater (all 6 cylinders plus oil pan)
  • Panel power headset jack for Bose/Zulu headset (pilot position only)
  • Factory air conditioning, blows cold
  • Factory 6-place oxygen system, tank hydrostat due 2011
  • Panel power/data jack for Garmin portable GPS with crossfeed from GNS-530W. Includes two power pigtails for 296/396/496, can also work with 696.
  • Non-congealing oil cooler mod
  • Meticulously maintained by on-staff A&P/IA

If anyone is interested, contact Larry Russell at Bartelt Aviation, 269-651-5431 or email larry@barteltaviation.com. Asking price is $324,900.

Pictures can be seen here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/seanfranklin/main/airplane_for_sale

Once the economy turns around we'd like to get into a small turboprop, a Meridian or a TBM. Until then I'm exploring setting up a partnership here on an older Mooney that my wife and I can use for personal travel; business travel will be driving or airlines in the meantime.

--------------------
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
Re: Airplane for sale :-( [Re: Sean Franklin]
      #225314 - 12/01/08 08:05 PM

Sean,

Good luck on the sale. Sorry to hear you're letting the baby go.

Which "older Mooney" are you looking at?

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Sean Franklin
Top Gun

Re: Airplane for sale :-( [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #225395 - 12/02/08 08:43 AM

I'm doing my research now. I want something close to the speed of the Toga that my wife and I can travel with. The stretch fuselage is important, I'm tall and don't fit in a short-body comfortably. Probably a late '60s - early '70s Exec, normally aspirated. I'd like to be under $20k per share with 3-4 owners.

--------------------
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
      #225396 - 12/02/08 08:52 AM

Sean,

I'm sorry to hear of this. It's good to be proactive, though, as you are. Best wishes for this to all turn out right - and I hope you sell your Toga soon.

Regards,
Joe

Mick Ruthven
AVSIG Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
      #225407 - 12/02/08 10:06 AM

"Back in the day" (as they say) I joined a 10-pilot group here in the SF Bay Area that owned a new 1965 Mooney Mark 21 (M20C) that we replaced in 1967 with the first model of the stretched version, the Executive 21 (M20F). Here are my recollections:

- The Exec added the length to the legroom for the rear passengers, which was woefully lacking in the short model. It made a huge difference for anyone in the rear seats. I don't recall it adding anything to the legroom for the front people. I'm 6'3" and didn't have a problem with either model. You sit a bit lower than in most planes and your legs extend forward in a sort of tunnel.

- The TAS at 75%, 50 ROP (that's what we did then), 6-7,000 feet, full gross on a summer day with the vent "flap" fully extended was about 165 mph in the Mark 21 and 170-172 mph in the Exec 21.

Quote:

I'm tall and don't fit in a short-body comfortably. Probably a late '60s - early '70s Exec, normally aspirated. I'd like to be under $20k per share with 3-4 owners.

Sean Franklin
Top Gun

Re: Airplane for sale :-( [Re: Mick Ruthven]
      #225411 - 12/02/08 10:22 AM

Quote:

- The Exec added the length to the legroom for the rear passengers, which was woefully lacking in the short model. It made a huge difference for anyone in the rear seats. I don't recall it adding anything to the legroom for the front people. I'm 6'3" and didn't have a problem with either model. You sit a bit lower than in most planes and your legs extend forward in a sort of tunnel.

I haven't tried sitting in a "vintage" model, but the newer Mooneys allow the pilot's seat to slide back so far that it almost touches the rear seat. Perhaps not true in the older models. More research needed :-)

--------------------
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Loc: NY
      #225460 - 12/02/08 01:40 PM

Sean,

The M20F or G should work for you. IIRC, there's a lot more F's around. You might even be able to find an early 201.

I agree with Mick. Mooneys usually aren't a problem for tall people sitting in the front seat. It's a sports car like sitting position - legs and arms extended out. I'm 5'9" and I needed the seat almost all the way up to use the pedals. I think I had it on the second closest notch.

Best thing to do is go sit in one or two, and then see how it feels while flying.

--------------------
Best,

Bob

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Airplane for sale :-( [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #225477 - 12/02/08 02:25 PM

Sean: These times seem to be challenging all of us. Glad to hear you have options. If I hear of someone interested in your plane, I'll sure put you in touch.

Best,

Dave

nehoC hctiM
Top Gun

Reged: 08/03/04
Loc: LAX Based 10/2016 - Current YA...
Re: Airplane for sale :-( [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #225522 - 12/02/08 04:37 PM

That is a beautiful aircraft.

--------------------
USA Today said, people over 50 are calmer.

Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
      #226046 - 12/06/08 08:26 AM

Sean:
Is John going to help with finding your new bird? I saw yours on his site and was wondering "why does this airplane look so familiar?" Sorry about your decision but I strongly sympathize. While I enjoyed the Seneca very much while I had it (and when it wasn't breaking for one thing or another) it was inevitable that it had to go. Helped that SWMBO told me "we're getting a Cirrus for my birthday" (or words to that effect) so it was easier to say good by.

Frankly if I was in the market for a PA-32R right now I'd be bugging John at home this morning! Your bird is sweet.

Best regards,
Andy

Sean Franklin
Top Gun

Re: Airplane for sale :-( [Re: Andrew Niemyer -KDLH]
      #226318 - 12/07/08 09:42 PM

Not actively seeking the replacement yet, I want to see if I can find some practical partners first and then we'll go about finding an airplane. In the meantime I'm checked out in an Arrow at a nearby airport, and will check out in their 182RG with Aspen glass and 530 GPS.

Bartelt's done right by me and I would certainly deal with them as a buyer again, but too soon to think of that as of yet.

And, I truly believe that N41847 is as good an example of a late-model Saratoga as anyone could ask for. I had only 2 items on my "wish list" of upgrades - Aspen EFIS (about $12k) and TKS ($29k). Had the economy not tanked, I'd have likely done both in the spring.

--------------------
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
      #227706 - 12/15/08 06:31 PM

Sean--

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking about letting your beautiful Saratoga go. I'm surprised that the "cycle gadget" market is down. Are you sure it's not just a winter slump? That must happen every year, right?

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Sean Franklin
Top Gun

Re: Airplane for sale :-( [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #227783 - 12/16/08 08:28 AM

We're seeing a significant drop in business, not as much as a lot of other industries but definitely a lot of people aren't spending as much this year. Selling the airplane is preemptive, it's not a burden yet but if the trend deepens it could be. The Toga was never intended to be my "last" airplane, so I think it's best to sell now while there is still a decent market for such things. My broker says the $300k+ market is doing well, while the lower brackets are seeing few buyers (but lots of sellers).

Since my show schedule for 2009 happens to have a lot of shows nearby, it won't be a burden to be without a plane. If business regains strength, maybe I'll start looking for a Malibu or Meridian late next year.

--------------------
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6574

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG