AVSIG: Evaluation Syllabus for pilot potential wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
Re: Evaluation Syllabus for pilot potential [Re: nehoC hctiM]
      #391760 - 06/06/14 09:06 PM

Hi Mitch,
I envy your opportunity to show an interested someone the world of aviation.

Some thoughts interspersed:
>Said relative has told me he is interested in becoming a pilot as his profession.<
It’s a start.

>While gaining the required experience to become an airline or full time corporate pilot.<
Mitch, while airline or corporate pilot is a laudable and worthy goal don’t forget there’s a whole nother world of avi8’n out there. Ag-Pilot, Military Aviation, Pipeline Patrol, Flight Instruction, Charter Pilot, Aerial Mapping, Production test pilot, Unmanned Aerial Operations (up’n coming). A myriad of of-the-wall helicopter operations plus many others.
Typically one type of flying leads to another as opportunities arise.

>just finished college with a BS in Marketing.<
This is something compatible with all types of piloting and desperately needed in most aviation businesses.

>He is big into video games.<
Unmanned Aerial Operations.

>Relative has zero flight time in the cockpit.<
Guess we were all there at one time<g>

>My fear is he might start out and progress into this and not enjoy it the way I do.<
He’ll probably enjoy it in a way different than you.

>Exposing him to some typical training and a few phases of flying was my goal, to determine if he has the right stuff.<
He most likely has the right stuff for some type of piloting. There are so many types of piloting.

How many times have I heard it said here, specifically as to Airline piloting: “It’s a good time to be retired” or words to that effect?
Most of these “other” piloting deals won’t have the pay potential of that legacy airline job, nor union representation. But with 41 years of the Aerial Survey/Mapping flavor I was never laid off, it was always mentally stimulating and I was paid… almost what I was worth <g> <YMMV>.

Final thought:
Rather than thinking in terms of evaluating him think in terms of exposing him to aviation and to as many varied opportunities as you can think of.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (but… it is good to be retired<g>)

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Evaluation Syllabus for pilot potential [Re: Gil Buettner [KAUW]]
      #391769 - 06/07/14 07:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Exposing him to some typical training and a few phases of flying was my goal, to determine if he has the right stuff and won't bore of the training and hours required to get the typical progression of jobs while gaining the required experience to become an airline or full time corporate pilot.

Hoping this clears it up and looking forward to your thoughts.

Mitch

My job is about 80 percent primary training. We always tell the newbies that there is a lot of information so the early lessons are by necessity, brief, to avoid information overload. You've probably heard it called "drinking from a fire hose." Typical first few lessons are 45 minutes or so in the air. We want to send them home wanting to return for more.

It seems to me that you may overwhelm him with that much in one day, and he may think the mountain is insurmountable. But if you position it right so he knows what he is getting is far different from what most folks get for an introduction, and he is willing to subject himself to such a confidence course, well... let us know how it works.

Maybe you are about to introduce a new way of doing things.

Mitch-

I second what Gil says here.... do one flight, make it simple, see if he has fun and wants to do more. Stress that it is a complicated road.... but if he enjoys it it can be done. But he's gotta enjoy it first.

My two cents,
gunny

Plus this has got to be cheaper... and I'm no fan of simulators.

--------------------
Gunny
www.eagleflyingmuseum.org

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: Evaluation Syllabus for pilot potential [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #391771 - 06/07/14 08:29 AM

Quote:

Mitch,

The Army and probably the other services had an aptitude test for potential pilots. It did a lot of what you are talking about on the written side.

the other bill

Both Navy and USAF had such tests. A lot of spatial recognition/reasoning.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: Evaluation Syllabus for pilot potential [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #391772 - 06/07/14 08:37 AM

Quote:

Well, there was indeed a test for potential aptitude for being a pilot -had various names and used by the military for sure. Graded from 1 to 9, with 9 being the best score. It took some time for the test as I remember. Did it before USN pilot training and then again before the airlines (different tests -but same scoring.)

When I did the USAF and USN tests in the late 70s, they were scored on a percentile basis. USAF, highest score was 95, which meant you were in the top 5%. USN scored to 99.

USAF testing was a full day. Morning was Officer testing. Verbal and math skills. Afternoon was pilot/nav testing. There were 5 parts if pilot/nav. I scored 95 across the board.

USN was most of a day, but included some simple medical screening and an officer interview. I don't remember how many parts the USN test was, but I scored 99 on all parts.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

nehoC hctiM
Top Gun

Reged: 08/03/04
Loc: LAX Based 10/2016 - Current YA...
Re: Evaluation Syllabus for pilot potential [Re: nehoC hctiM]
      #392182 - 06/15/14 05:03 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

One huge item is motivation.
The person I had in mind, shows very little of it.
Guess one pleasure flight to even see if there is any interest is in order.

Thanks again.

Mitch

--------------------
USA Today said, people over 50 are calmer.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG