AVSIG: New (to me) Wake Issue wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
New (to me) Wake Issue
      #386069 - 02/09/14 09:30 AM

I had some time yesterday afternoon to extract the 210 from the ice, pry the wing covers off and do a quick 17 min. night currency run.

On the last landing, an E190 was ahead of me for the runway, I turned a 1/2 mile base from downwind when he was abeam. I stayed high, intending to land beyond the jet's touchdown point (which was about 1,000-1,200' feet from the threshold). The jet turned off prior to reaching the end (C/D for those familiar with HPN) so it couldn't have landed long.

I crossed the threshold at about 150-200' AGL, slowed nicely, looking to touch about 2,000' ahead. At the threshold, I got a strong rolling moment to the right, correctable with a good dose of rudder and some aileron, and nose-down input to keep flying speed. It lasted about 5 seconds, I guess. From then on down to the runway, all was normal.

Winds were light, 270/3 for runway 34, not a burble in the pattern, and the arrival prior to the E190 was a CRJ 5 mins before I was over the threshold. Not sure where the CRJ landed but I doubt it was as high as I was over the threshold.

I'd thought I had the wake thing knocked. But I didn't and that was surprising. Wakes are usually described as either hugging the ground with a light crosswind, or descending. This one climbed?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James Peters (BAK)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Indiana USA
Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #386082 - 02/09/14 12:57 PM

Scott, while I was still living in Scottsdale, AZ, I attended a refresher course prior to refreshing my single engine land pilot's license...and a film was shown that dealt with Wake Turbulence...the film stated that wake turbulence persisted for at least 15 minutes.. sometimes longer.

Later while on a commercial flight, I have experienced a bump in clear air at altitude.. and I attributed it to a previous aircraft ahead.

The film showed a DC-10 landing with smoke generators showing the wake turbulence. Very interesting and informative.

The film stated that the roll recovery of a DC-9 was 13 degrees/second while a 747 generated a roll of some 45 degrees/second...that is one reason for a 5 mile separation on landing, for a DC-9 if landing behind a 747.

Jim

Edited by James Peters (BAK) (02/09/14 01:02 PM)

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #386089 - 02/09/14 02:57 PM

What was the sky cover like? If it was a day with snow on the ground, the sun out and the runway clear, I'd think about thermal lift coming off the runway.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #386092 - 02/09/14 04:19 PM

Ralph - CAFB, night. Essentially calm.

B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Ashland, Oregon
      #386093 - 02/09/14 04:22 PM

Quote:

I'd think about thermal lift coming off the runway.

Spoken like a glider pilot. <g>

--------------------
"Why not be a nihilist? A man has to believe in something."
-Bernie Gunther

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: B. Butler (Oregonian)]
      #386110 - 02/09/14 08:10 PM

Question: What causes the wake to drift downward?

I tried googling for a answer, but didn't find one. I did find this from avweb: "The air curling up around the wing tip forms a horizontal tornado that trails behind the airplane and tends to sink somewhat below the producing aircraft's flight path -- if that aircraft is in level flight. The vortices produced during a descent are somewhat less predictable."

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Russell Holton]
      #386113 - 02/09/14 08:21 PM Attachment (111 downloads)

Quote:

What causes the wake to drift downward?

Newton. A wing generates lift by imparting downward momentum to the air, so the "inside" part of the vortices is moving downward faster than the "outside" part is moving up, and the core moves down at the average velocity.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
      #386114 - 02/09/14 08:26 PM

Quote:

curling up around the wing tip forms a horizontal tornado that trails behind the airplane

Yup, interesting stuff, I used to watch Frank Sanders in his SeaFury put on a show with the smoke generators on each tip at OSH. Remember standing there one day watching and noticed the crowd around us looking AT the airplane as Frank flew past, I told them "Don't look at the Sea Fury, watch way behind the plane cuz that's where the show is!" Wish we could'a gotten a copy of a video there to show in recurrent training on the airline.

best, randy

Randy Sohn

#386117 - 02/09/14 08:57 PM

Quote:

or descending. This one climbed?

Scott, color me really puzzled over this one! Unmentioned in the analysis is any mention (that I can see) of the traffic preceding that E190? Wondering if anyone there who could've affected you with his wake? I spent a whole career making sure I landed just PAST the "touchdown point" of the preceding traffic and never had it not work. This is one of the situations that I'd previously discussed/described here on Avsig when Chris Manno had talked about having a definite touchdown target in the runway's beginning I do the same except I am a little different in that I "name my poison" as regards the touchdown target being at a certain marker on the runway's side which again is just past the point at which the preceding traffic touches down, puts his nosewheel on the ground and ceases generating lift.

best, randy

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/01/04
Loc: Texas
      #386121 - 02/09/14 09:10 PM

Scott-

Winds like that are enough to stall one of the vortices from clearing the runway.... it can easily remain there for 5 min or more.

gunny

--------------------
Gunny
www.eagleflyingmuseum.org

Reams Goodloe
Top Gun

Reged: 05/07/04
Loc: Kent, Washington
      #386136 - 02/10/14 12:48 AM

Scott -
From the AIM.... 7-3-3..

5.&#8194;There is a small segment of the aviation community that have become convinced that wake vortices may “bounce” up to twice their nominal steady state height. With a 200-foot span aircraft, the “bounce” height could reach approximately 200 feet AGL. This conviction is based on a single unsubstantiated report of an apparent coherent vortical flow that was seen in the volume scan of a research sensor. No one can say what conditions cause vortex bouncing, how high they bounce, at what angle they bounce, or how many times a vortex may bounce. On the other hand, no one can say for certain that vortices never “bounce.” Test data have shown that vortices can rise with the air mass in which they are embedded. Wind shear, particularly, can cause vortex flow field “tilting.” Also, ambient thermal lifting and orographic effects (rising terrain or tree lines) can cause a vortex flow field to rise. Notwithstanding the foregoing, pilots are reminded that they should be alert at all times for possible wake vortex encounters when conducting approach and landing operations. The pilot has the ultimate responsibility for ensuring appropriate separations and positioning of the aircraft in the terminal area to avoid the wake turbulence created by a preceding aircraft.

FWIW, I seem to recall seeing some old smoke photos showing this, but can't place where that might be at this instant....

- Reams-

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Reams Goodloe]
      #386139 - 02/10/14 07:12 AM

Reams-

Good point, but we've got to remember the vortex ends at the ground and starts when the aircraft adopts a high-lift/ hit drag configuration (actually the vortex is always there, but not always energetic enough to flip another airplane).

Nature always surprises us!

--------------------
Gunny

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #386140 - 02/10/14 07:15 AM

Randy -- The issue of traffic prior to the E190 was covered: <<Winds were light, 270/3 for runway 34, not a burble in the pattern, and the arrival prior to the E190 was a CRJ 5 mins before I was over the threshold. Not sure where the CRJ landed but I doubt it was as high as I was over the threshold.>>

Gunny, the puzzling thing to me on this was that according to "usual" rules the wake shouldn't have been at that altitude at that position (threshold) at all. Whatever the cause, the wake would likely have dissipated considerably had there been more turbulent air rather than this glass smooth condition.

Randy Sohn

#386142 - 02/10/14 08:50 AM

Quote:

issue of traffic prior to the E190 was covered: .....was a CRJ 5 mins before I was over the threshold

Yup, now I remember reading/seeing that, sorry, anyhow, still puzzling a lot over this one! Also, wondering if that "smoke" video mentioned earlier could've been one of Frank and the Hawker Sea Flogger at Oshkosh? Dunno.

best, randy

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

#386147 - 02/10/14 10:45 AM

Quote:

Gunny, the puzzling thing to me on this was that according to "usual" rules the wake shouldn't have been at that altitude at that position (threshold) at all. Whatever the cause, the wake would likely have dissipated considerably had there been more turbulent air rather than this glass smooth condition.

It does seem unusual.... A Regional Jet doesn't produce as much wake as a 757 anyway. But I think it was an interesting combination of smooth, nearly calm winds.

Just goes to show you that you always have to be on your toes... until the airplane has been put to bed!

gunny

--------------------
Gunny

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

#386149 - 02/10/14 10:54 AM Attachment (112 downloads)

Here's a nice still shot, courtesy of a smoke generator...

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

#386150 - 02/10/14 11:27 AM Attachment (105 downloads)

Quote:

........... still puzzling a lot over this one! Also, wondering if that "smoke" video mentioned earlier could've been one of Frank and the Hawker Sea Flogger at Oshkosh? Dunno.

best, randy

I believe the one they are talking about was the NASA study done on the east coast years ago... I think it was Wallops Island.... airliners through smoke generators.

After the US Air 737 crashed behind a 727 during a wake encounter they did some tests... I used the video in my upset course and here are a couple of snapshots. These are shots taken from tests in cruise flight, not configured for landing.

--------------------
Gunny

Edited by Scott Perdue (50F) (02/10/14 11:28 AM)

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Scott Perdue (50F)]
      #386151 - 02/10/14 11:28 AM Attachment (126 downloads)

tail cam..... I guess the point I am trying to make is that a wake upset can occur anytime you cross the flight path of an aircraft ahead of you if it hasn't had time to dissipate.

gunny

--------------------
Gunny

Edited by Scott Perdue (50F) (02/10/14 11:30 AM)

Randy Sohn

#386154 - 02/10/14 12:13 PM

Quote:

believe the one they are talking about was the NASA study done on the east coast years ago... used the video in my upset course

Ah so, thanks, have you ever seen that overhead Langley Landing Loads Track video that I'd used in my hydroplaning course?

And, 2nd question, do you have any idea why the 757s were so much worse than others?

best, randy

Edited by Randy Sohn (02/10/14 12:24 PM)

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

#386164 - 02/10/14 01:49 PM

Quote:

Ah so, thanks, have you ever seen that overhead Langley Landing Loads Track video that I'd used in my hydroplaning course?

And, 2nd question, do you have any idea why the 757s were so much worse than others?

best, randy

I've seen it, but don't know where to get a copy of it. I wish I knew why the 757 is a medium aircraft, but a heavy for wake turbulence..... perhaps it has something to do with the wing design in addition to the weight.

--------------------
Gunny

Randy Sohn

#386166 - 02/10/14 01:58 PM

Quote:

I've seen it, but don't know where to get a copy

Nos'sir, don't need a copy but sure used that video of the overhead glass a lot running recurrent training and discussing the three kinds of hydroplaning and that HS=9 x the square root of the TP in pounds formula.

best, randy

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

#386172 - 02/10/14 03:06 PM

Quote:

Newton. A wing generates lift by imparting downward momentum to the air, so the "inside" part of the vortices is moving downward faster than the "outside" part is moving up, and the core moves down at the average velocity.

Ah. But of course on descent, that lift is minimized.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #386178 - 02/10/14 04:36 PM

Quote:

You mean the airplane isn't at 1g during a stabilized descent?

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

#386179 - 02/10/14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Nope. As long as the airplane's in unaccelerated flight (i.e., straight line at constant speed), lift is equal to weight.

The amount of downwash decreases briefly as you're pushing over into a descent, but as soon as your path becomes a straight line, it's back to what it was.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#386181 - 02/10/14 04:46 PM

Quote:

As long as the airplane's in unaccelerated flight (i.e., straight line at constant speed), lift is equal to weight.

"Ah, gravity - thou art a heartless bitch." --Sheldon Cooper

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

#386183 - 02/10/14 05:03 PM

Quote:

Nope. As long as the airplane's in unaccelerated flight (i.e., straight line at constant speed), lift is equal to weight.

True.

I'm wondering about the wake from the elevator. Given the theory, it also creates lift and so would have a wake of it's own, albeit much smaller.

I thought I remembered some airplanes have tails that develop lift and others that developed negative lift to keep the airplane level. Plus, on a decent, I'd expect them to interact differently then they would in level flight.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

#386184 - 02/10/14 05:12 PM

Gunny -- <<Just goes to show you that you always have to be on your toes... until the airplane has been put to bed!>>

So true, and it woke me up from my sleepy ride down the final.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Reams Goodloe]
      #386185 - 02/10/14 05:13 PM

Reams -- Interesting stuff about the "bouncing" vortex. This was a bit like a rising fastball I guess.

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
      #386189 - 02/10/14 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

........... still puzzling a lot over this one! Also, wondering if that "smoke" video mentioned earlier could've been one of Frank and the Hawker Sea Flogger at Oshkosh? Dunno.

best, randy

I believe the one they are talking about was the NASA study done on the east coast years ago... I think it was Wallops Island.... airliners through smoke generators.

After the US Air 737 crashed behind a 727 during a wake encounter they did some tests... I used the video in my upset course and here are a couple of snapshots. These are shots taken from tests in cruise flight, not configured for landing.

Actually, only Parker-Hannifin thought that the 727 had anything to do with it. They made the rudder actuator valve that malfunctioned causing a rudder hard over and subsequent 1/4 Cuban 8. After that accident was closed, they re-opened the COS UAL accident that was previously attributed to a rotor (and some other whacko theories).

Randy Sohn

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Bruce Gorrell [EQY]]
      #386195 - 02/10/14 07:02 PM

Quote:

After the US Air 737 crashed......rudder actuator valve that malfunctioned causing a rudder hard over.....After that accident was closed, they re-opened the COS UAL accident that was previously attributed to a rotor (and some other whacko theories).

Bruce, didn't they increase the V2 or something like that also?

best, randy

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

#386198 - 02/10/14 07:33 PM

No, they increased the Flaps 5 minimum airspeed to make is faster than the "crossover speed" which is where the ailerons can overpower a hard over rudder. The aileron droop starts at flaps 5.

Randy Sohn

#386199 - 02/10/14 08:00 PM

Quote:

No, they increased the Flaps 5 minimum airspeed

Right, thanks, I knew it was something or other like that, saw it riding jumpseat on a SWA 73 to MAF a few times.

best, randy

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

#386218 - 02/11/14 07:22 AM

Quote:

Actually, only Parker-Hannifin thought that the 727 had anything to do with it. They made the rudder actuator valve that malfunctioned causing a rudder hard over and subsequent 1/4 Cuban 8. After that accident was closed, they re-opened the COS UAL accident that was previously attributed to a rotor (and some other whacko theories).

Bruce, you're right. I've got the NTSB video of that crash as well.... very interesting.

--------------------
Gunny

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

#386219 - 02/11/14 07:24 AM

Quote:

Bruce, didn't they increase the V2 or something like that also?

best, randy

I don't recall the V2 being increased, but the approach speed is MUCH higher than it needs to be in order for the flight controls to have enough authority to overcome a rudder hardcover at the old approach speed. In both accidents the speed was a factor in the upset.

--------------------
Gunny

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
Top Gun

Reged: 06/04/04
      #386263 - 02/11/14 05:07 PM

Quote:

No, they increased the Flaps 5 minimum airspeed to make is faster than the "crossover speed" which is where the ailerons can overpower a hard over rudder. The aileron droop starts at flaps 5.

Different deal, but the drill in a [Socata] TBM with runaway rudder trim is to slow down so the hard over rudder isn't exerting so much aerodynamic force (also makes the counterforce one can exert on the rudder pedal more relevant).

This emergency procedure came about from an incident in which a pilot cruised in that condition for a while, the fuel level got low enough to unport the intake on the high-side wing, and the predictable consequences ensued, including a power off landing.

Mac

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
      #386305 - 02/12/14 05:12 PM

Well I've had a few wake issues in my flying -but in my B-747 days, we had a lot of room and a lot of mass.

I've had a few wake issues in the B-727. Nothing too bad except they were close to the ground. Yes, I always assumed the wake decended and would follow any cross wind.

Regards,

Dux -from Tucson and will not mention the temps as it bothers Randy a lot. Read the paper.

Randy Sohn

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #386309 - 02/12/14 07:28 PM

Quote:

Dux -from Tucson and will not mention the temps as it bothers Randy a lot. Read the paper.

Nope, not really, just chuckle.

re >>wake issues<<

Dunno, I've always just made my new target touchdown point at the point where he de-rotates. Tho after reading what happened to Scott, now I gotta wonder?l

best, randy (who's listening to the radio and wondering if the WX is really that bad in Carolina - or whether it's just some more of the wide eyes?)

Edited by Randy Sohn (02/12/14 07:32 PM)

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

#386310 - 02/12/14 08:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, not really, just chuckle.

re >>wake issues<<

Dunno, I've always just made my new target touchdown point at the point where he de-rotates. Tho after reading what happened to Scott, now I gotta wonder?l

best, randy (who's listening to the radio and wondering if the WX is really that bad in Carolina - or whether it's just some more of the wide eyes?)

Half and half. Eight inches of snow and ten pounds of stupid.

Randy Sohn

#386312 - 02/12/14 08:42 PM

Quote:

Yup, thought meb'be like that but didn't know, been thinking 'bout you down there, hearing about ice!

best, randy

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

#386348 - 02/13/14 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yup, thought meb'be like that but didn't know, been thinking 'bout you down there, hearing about ice!

best, randy

It was -ZR all night, but it's turned back to S this morning. Nice and crusty outside.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#386349 - 02/13/14 01:11 PM

Quote:

It was -ZR all night

You're showing your age!

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #386351 - 02/13/14 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It was -ZR all night

You're showing your age!

And proudly so, I might add.

Randy Sohn

#386352 - 02/13/14 01:30 PM

Quote:

It was -ZR all night, but it's turned back to S this morning. Nice and crusty outside.

I just told Sir Ralfus on the phone 'bout your half and half joke!

best, randy

Randy Sohn

Re: New (to me) Wake Issue [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #386353 - 02/13/14 01:35 PM

Quote:

-ZR all night....You're showing your age!

Yup, might well be - but (the way I learned it on the 747s to the Orient was "Blowing Rice") -ZR beats BR. Chuckle.

best, randy

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
      #386357 - 02/13/14 04:03 PM

Up here'n Statesville we had a mixture of UP and SN, later IP. Then this morning got at least 6 inches of new snowball packable snow.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
      #386387 - 02/14/14 11:27 AM

I saw the governor (?) of one of the Carolinas, or mayor of Columbia perhaps, say on TV before this storm hit that it wasn't going to be like Atlanta. They were planning ahead. He kind of trashed Atlanta for letting the icemagedon happen. But then, I saw the major highways in that state completely blocked with cars like Atlanta had been the week before. Nope, not a good idea to let everyone out from work at the same time. One lesson not learned….
Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7980

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG