AVSIG: Student Pilot - Landing Problems wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Training & Proficiency

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Dan Barclay [ORG]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Roger Ferrer]
      #248211 - 05/21/09 12:46 AM

Gill's advice is right on target. It's hard to force yourself to look at the
*far* end of the runway but, trust us, it's what you need to do if you're not
doing it.

The advice about getting the tasks down one at a time is good as well. One
exercise that your instructor will likely do with you at one point is to go
to an airport with a very long runway. Fly down the runway very low, almost
landing. Maybe lightly touch the upwind wheel with a crosswind. That will
help you pull it together.

Again, avoid the tendency to look at the runway right in front of the
airplane. That's what most of us will try to do by default. You'll get a
better "big picture" of pitch and alignment if you look down the runway and
let your peripheral vision tell you where you are.

Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #248213 - 05/21/09 01:01 AM

How many total landings do you have in your logbook so far?

Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

Reged: 04/29/09
Loc: Maryland, Harford
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #248250 - 05/21/09 09:41 AM

Thank you guys for all the feedback. Now I have somthing to work with. I am sorry about the Rf signature, I get kind of lazy these days. :-)
I have about 15 hrs of dual instruction, I am 48 yo and had no clue about aviation before starting this training.

In my opinion, you guys all right on the money. Although my primary instructor is very good, for some reason I wasn't understanding his commands very well and I got kind of frustrated while the instructor was confident that with time, everything would come together.

About a week ago I started flying with a second instructor who is very young but I learned few tricks about flying around the pattern, maintaining pitch and altitude on slow flights, etc from this young instructor.

Flying with two different instructors has helped me a lot and I think that it has also accelerated my learning experience. At the beginning I was worried that it would offend my primary instructor but so far that hasn't happened.

I got the idea from the book "Your Pilot's License" from Jerry A. Eichengerger. Where he explains the importance of picking the right instructors, the different reasons to be an instructor the CFIs have, etc.

You guys are helping a lot because the most frustrating thing to me has been not knowing what is it I am doing wrong.

Bill, I think Scott is right, there is not limitation to be allowed for the solo. Everyting is at your instructor's discretion and I am not sure but I think there is a written test and a physical exam (Class 3 medical exam) you have to pass before the solo (Maryland State).

Thanks,

Roger

Edited by Roger Ferrer (05/21/09 09:43 AM)

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
Re: Student Pilot - Landing Problems [Re: Dan Barclay [ORG]]
      #248258 - 05/21/09 10:33 AM

That also works for hovering and landing a helicopter, also jumping a horse over the fence.

With the former, you are using your total vision especially your peripheral vision to assess where you are. In landing if you look down 9 times out of 10 your nose will go where your eyes are and you won't land flat on the skids. Not a good thing.

With jumping if you look down you will disrupt the horses balance and that is not a good thing either. <G> Let the horse determine how high and how far he has to jump. Keep your eyes on the horizon and you will have good balance. All that helped me when learning to fly/hover the helicopter.

Now, it "did" take me a long time to land an airplane. They just don't want to come to a hover on the numbers.

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Mick Ruthven
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
      #248259 - 05/21/09 10:33 AM

My experience when I was taking flying lessons a long time ago was that I learned different things from different instructors and that was a good thing.

Quote:

Flying with two different instructors has helped me a lot and I think that it has also accelerated my learning experience.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#248264 - 05/21/09 11:24 AM

Roger,

How many landings do you have logged?

Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

#248269 - 05/21/09 11:41 AM

I have practice with the instructors about 15 to 20 "touch and go" over the last 2 weeks. The instructors usually take me to an airport with a long runway and no so much traffic. On my own, I have only done it about 4 or 5 times with the instructor giving advice. Like I said before, my landings still horrible. I am going back today since the weather remains good for VFR.

Roger

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

#248279 - 05/21/09 12:06 PM

Roger,

Go to your logbook and count up how many total landings you have logged. I have some comments to offer but want to know how many landings you've done so far to put them in the proper context.

Roger Ferrer
Public Guest

#248281 - 05/21/09 12:16 PM

sreyoB,

I am sorry, I don't have the logbook with me right now but I will get back to you this evening after the flight with the exact amount. Thanks.

Roger

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
      #248285 - 05/21/09 01:02 PM

Hi Roger,

Welcome to Avsig!

I show my students the similarity between the landing flare and the entry to slow flight or a power-off stall. In the air, you can practice slowing to a power-off stall, maintaining altitude perfectly (keep raising the nose to maintain lift) until the airplane won't do it any more. Of course, you stay pointed at some visual reference on the horizon the whole time, too.

In the air, you'll pitch down and recover. One foot above the runway, you'll land. The pitch-down part of the stall doesn't happen right away. You mush down tail-first for a bit until you develop a little vertical speed. With a runway just below your wheels, there's no room to develop much vertical speed.

That leaves the problem of judging your flare height, which depends upon airspeed, descent rate, and airplane performance. The route to the right flare height is the same as the route to Carnegie Hall -- practice. It helps if you're consistent about your approach angle and airspeed at first. If each approach is the same, the flare looks and feels the same. Later on, you can experiment with the effects of being flat, steep, fast, or slow, strong headwind, no wind, etc.

Ray

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 64364

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG