AVSIG: Flight Training Devices wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #406431 - 03/23/15 01:44 PM

Quote:

It's difficult to imagine the logistics of moving all of these simulators to a new facility

As the locals up here are wont to utter - "Uff-dah". Shades of the move of NATCO to Hotlanta after the NWA/Delta merger.

best, randy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Randy Sohn

#406432 - 03/23/15 02:15 PM

Quote:

United, after the recent merge with Continental

yrraL, I'd said I'd let you know what they said, Verne Jobst just called me to say the guy in the left seat LOOKS like it COULD be Ed Carlson - but he doesn't know. At any rate, neither guy had his shoulder harness hooked up so it could be demo of the sim to the CEO of Untidy. Verne (ex-Capitol) was #1 at Untidy when he retired, figured he'd know some of those people or planes but nope.The guy with the 4 stripes at the instructor's station isn't known either. The guy in the jumpsuit looks to be a fed.

best, randy

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #406434 - 03/23/15 02:22 PM

Quote:

yrraL, I'd said I'd let you know what they said, Verne Jobst just called me to say the guy in the left seat LOOKS like it COULD be Ed Carlson - but he doesn't know. At any rate, neither guy had his shoulder harness hooked up so it could be demo of the sim to the CEO of Untidy. Verne (ex-Capitol) was #1 at Untidy when he retired, figured he'd know some of those people or planes but nope.The guy with the 4 stripes at the instructor's station isn't known either. The guy in the jumpsuit looks to be a fed.

Since those pictures are posted at the Houston facility I'd bet that they came from the Continental side, not United. Also, my impression is that the "simulator" picture may be of a fixed-based FTD and not a full sim but I don't really have anything solid to back that up. Could be why there's no belts in view?

I'll try to get better pictures later this week. I took them on my way out the door to catch the airport shuttle and didn't check them until I got home.

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
      #406437 - 03/23/15 03:10 PM

Did Randy use the string tapped to the front windscreen. ;)

We used the Link trainers in Army flight school. My class was the second to get a standard instrument ticket. Didn't keep any pics but the technology was sure behind what you're using (and what I use at SIMCOM each year) :)
Hard to believe that was in '71

B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Ashland, Oregon
      #406438 - 03/23/15 03:14 PM

Quote:

Hed received his type rating on it as a result of an FAA experiment with all training being accomplished in the simulator. This experiment predated the FAAs ultimate approval of this process by about twenty-five years.

When I was the tower/approach chief at Pueblo, United had approval to conduct a lot of their training in sims but still had some requirement for time in the actual airplane (The joke was "they need to learn to operate the door, after all.")

To get them out of the Stapleton pattern, they did this stuff at Pueblo, where it was common to have three or four in the airspace at a time--a lively operation, especially if you also had 3 or 4 army helicopters, a t-33-or-39 and a Canadian Convair from COS.

I visited the UAL tng center at Denver a couple times and at that time (79-81) they were still using the wall-mounted "model train city" for all the visuals. Certain instructors could be counted on to put extra crew meals on the Pueblo-bound training flights.

In many ways PUB was the best assignment I had in a rich 30-year career.

--------------------
"Why not be a nihilist? A man has to believe in something."
-Bernie Gunther

Edited by B. Butler (Oregonian) (03/23/15 03:14 PM)

Randy Sohn

Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #406439 - 03/23/15 03:18 PM

Quote:

the string tapped to the front windscreen

Chuckle, great story - but did you ever see that video of of Rapid Robert doing the roll with that glass of water on the glare shield?

best, randy

Randy Sohn

Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: B. Butler (Oregonian)]
      #406440 - 03/23/15 03:30 PM

Quote:

approval to conduct a lot of their training in sims but still had some requirement for time in the actual airplane

Yes, fully cognizant of that - how'sum'eveh I was talking/writing of Carl's TOTALLY in the sim, IIRC it pre-dated that ruling that you refer to by about 25 years or so. I got my 727 type rating in the sim but had to fly the actual airplane one time to finish that rating. Then later, my DC-10 and 747 type ratings were totally in the sims, I never landed the real 10 until later at Honolulu with a check pilot.

One more thing for yrraL here, the shoulder straps are there, just not hooked up. Many people don't seem to know that you can break bones or worse in a sim if it falls, that's why I suspect it was a demo only.

best, randy

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
      #406441 - 03/23/15 03:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the string tapped to the front windscreen

Chuckle, great story - but did you ever see that video of of Rapid Robert doing the roll with that glass of water on the glare shield?

best, randy

Hoover Pouring Tea

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #406506 - 03/24/15 06:06 PM

Quote:

My class was the second to get a standard instrument ticket

Dave,

They were giving out standard tickets in the classes before your class in 1971, but on a limited basis. I was the only one in my class to get one. I flew as good as I could fly. After the first turn in holding I was 59 seconds inbound. Did the ILS to mins with a missed to an NDB. Did the NDB with no A/S, A/I and VSI.

I liked flying the Link. I thought it was very good for working on procedures. It was not nearly as stable as the aircraft I was flying so it made flying the aircraft a lot easier. :-)

the other bill

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Loc: 4CO2
Re: Flight Training Devices [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #406507 - 03/24/15 06:32 PM

I did part of my civilian rating at OPF circa 1968, and they had some of the original Links with the vacuum-cleaner power and the cute little wings. Pretty basic simulation: the turn rate was simply proportional to the rudder position <g>.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14480

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG