AVSIG: Fun with FSX-...real video! wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Flight Sims

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Fun with FSX-...real video! [Re: Russell Holton]
      #181133 - 01/10/08 11:08 AM

Russell,

Just discovered something sorta interesting. I was playing the streaming vid in IE when it semi-froze/really long stutter at what appeared to be the cut edits in the video. That was coincidence I think; I was also running Thunderbird, which checks for new mail every 10 minutes. There was mail, Tbird downloaded it, may have streched my bandwidth or maybe mail and streaming video don't get along. Then again...;-)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Fun with FSX-...real video! [Re: Jim Bell]
      #181148 - 01/10/08 01:22 PM

If I had to guess, I think the streaming link is somehow rationing the bandwidth and it's not enough, or perhaps because it is streaming, WMP doesn't keep as large a buffer or some combination of the two.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #181247 - 01/11/08 08:18 AM

Seemed fine on my PowerMac with Leopard and Windows Media Player.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Fun with FSX-...real video! [Re: Russell Holton]
      #181259 - 01/11/08 10:35 AM

Russell,

Quote:

If I had to guess, I think the streaming link is somehow rationing the bandwidth and it's not enough, or perhaps because it is streaming, WMP doesn't keep as large a buffer or some combination of the two.

I think the latter part is probably it. Different on Mac too, but works with Flip4Mac, WMP just sits there trying to connect. Then again, MS doesn't actually support WMP for Mac anymore though it's still available 'as is'. Fun stuff ;-)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Fun with FSX-...real video! [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #181261 - 01/11/08 10:45 AM

John,

Quote:

I thought WMP for Mac was dead, something I read way back I think and didn't bother to look for it now. In any event, tried WMP on both Tiger and Leopard: it just sits there trying to connect for the streaming video. Plays the dnld version fine. I 'uninstalled' it (MS has good directions as to what to remove on their site), installed Flip4Mac on Leopard too, streams and plays the download fine. One thing on the stream though, the audio seemed to lag, probably need to check some prefs. Also, F4M has a nice assortment of tools A/V wise, an info window that actually tells you something and such like that.

Forgot to ask: you tried the streaming, no problem? And the PowerMac is Intel or no?

Rod Madsen (RDU)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: RDU, NC
      #181277 - 01/11/08 02:52 PM

With my Dell XPS on DSL the thing downloaded in 32 seconds and flew without a stutter. Never saw a landing though. You must have been on autopilot because there was no wing waggling, all above VASI.

--------------------
Rod

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Fun with FSX-...real video! [Re: Rod Madsen (RDU)]
      #181284 - 01/11/08 03:55 PM

Rod,

Quote:

With my Dell XPS on DSL the thing downloaded in 32 seconds and flew without a stutter. Never saw a landing though. You must have been on autopilot because there was no wing waggling, all above VASI.

Cool that it ran OK. No AP, just trimmed it and turned wx effects off so I could do the pans of the scenery. A first attempt with the video thing, landing from where the video ends woulda been ugly (you'll note there were no cockpit with panel shots ;-)). When I'm actually trying to fly the sim I do better, usually <g>. Tried to capture some video this AM with the real-time (sorta) dnld wx, heading S from LGA down the East river, TS here today, no way for me to fly from the spot plane view. Actually, wx has been nuts here for ~week.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #181313 - 01/11/08 11:43 PM

Quote:

John,

Quote:

I thought WMP for Mac was dead,

Forgot to ask: you tried the streaming, no problem? And the PowerMac is Intel or no?

WMP is not supported on the Intel Macintosh computers. The PowerMac I have is a PowerPC G5 PowerMac. Streaming was fine with WMP on that machine. On my MacBook Pro (Intel) I have the Flip4Mac plug-in for Quicktime, and the streaming also was fine there.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Fun with FSX-...real video! [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #181323 - 01/12/08 07:59 AM

John,

Quote:

WMP is not supported on the Intel Macintosh computers.

Thanks for the report, guess that explains the no streaming on my MacBook Pro ;-) WMP 9 did play the downloaded file there, Tiger and Leopard, but I 'un-installed' it per the MS directions (MS WMP Mac uninstall). Flip4Mac just does its transparent thing now, nice software, and ya can't beat the price. On other things video related, don't know if you followed the 'L.A. tech help needed-Mac savvy' thread here...finally got what I needed there, Screen Sharing, A/V chat (both via AIM), very cool. Even cooler is to see (literally) the look on someones face when *they* see it work :-)

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #181532 - 01/14/08 08:47 PM

Hey Jim, don't you think you need one of these <g>?

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14985

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG