AVSIG: Mooney wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Mooney

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Erwin, TN
Mooney
      #387496 - 03/04/14 02:31 PM

ALL:

The only Mooney I ever flew had manual gear extension and retraction (great system, BTW). Does anyone remember when Mooney changed to non-manual gear.
And--just for the fun of it--does anyone remember seeing the Mooney Mite--often called the Mighty Mooney Mite?

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stephanie Belser
Top Gun APC

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: KFAM
Re: Mooney [Re: Ralph Hood]
      #387497 - 03/04/14 02:50 PM

I saw a Mooney Mite at LWM about 24 years ago. Looked like it'd be fun to fly. It was the only one that I remember seeing.

--------------------
What the hell is an "aluminum falcon"?

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
      #387498 - 03/04/14 03:23 PM

Back around 1969 I was supposed to deliver a Mooney Mite from Miami to New York.

I test flew it before an annual inspection. Just fun, like a Cassutt...in that you felt like you were in a model airplane. But, slower...and with the canopy open. It had a mechanical (cable) adjustable prop, looked like the crank from a very early auto vent window.

Then they did the annual....and found dry rot in the center section. ( glad I didn't do anything stupid!)

I also flew an early Mooney, with fixed gear and manual hydraulic flaps.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
      #387501 - 03/04/14 05:15 PM

Ralph -- From what I can glean, it's about 1969 that Mooneys got electic gear. It's not as early as '66, as Ed Williams' page on a '66 M20E (http://williams.best.vwh.net/m20e/mooneysys.pdf ) shows the earlier system.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Mooney [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #387502 - 03/04/14 05:26 PM

I was in a club in 1965-68 that had an M20E, with manual gear and hand-hydraulic flaps. Working the gear took a little practice...you had to do it in one motion or you'd bog down. We had a woman member who had to do a slight pitch motion to get it down.

The checklist-standard takeoff was with one pump of flaps, and you couldn't bleed that off when done with them: you just pushed a pressure-dump button with your thumb and they snapped up. You needed to do a small, carefully-synchronized pitchup to avoid scaring passengers.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Re: Mooney [Re: Stephanie Belser]
      #387505 - 03/04/14 10:27 PM

Stephanie B:

Their was a time when all of the reps of National Aviation Underwriters covered their territory in Mooney Mites. I wasn't one of them until later. It had no really luggage space, no heater--how they did it, I don't know. The last one I saw was in the '60s or early 70s. Tiny!

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #387506 - 03/04/14 11:02 PM

Quote:

Stephanie B:

Their was a time when all of the reps of National Aviation Underwriters covered their territory in Mooney Mites. I wasn't one of them until later. It had no really luggage space, no heater--how they did it, I don't know. The last one I saw was in the '60s or early 70s. Tiny!

Ralph H

The last Mite I saw was at T47 in 1969. One minor problem with the tail assembly as I discussed with Randy a while back. :-))

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
      #387509 - 03/05/14 07:08 AM

Ralph,

According to this article, Mooney introduced electric gear with the J model. Wiki says that was 1977.

Regards,
Joe

Ralph Hood
Top Gun

Re: Mooney [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #387514 - 03/05/14 10:57 AM

Joe B:

RE: MAPA Article

Shoot. I spoke for MAPA (Mooney Airplanbe Pilots Assoc)in JUne, 1997 in Savannah, GA. Shoulda kept some names and phone numbers.

Ralph H

--------------------
Ralph Hood
www.ralphhood.com

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Mooney [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #387525 - 03/05/14 02:21 PM

Joe -- Seems late...1977. This article says 1969 (which may be early):
http://home.comcast.net/~mjcoyle/aviation/gear-motor.html

And another vote for 1969:

"Electrical failure in earlier models presents no major dramas. Up until 1968, all Mooneys had a bullet-proof manual gear retraction system. Hinged from the floor, the long gear handle, or Johnson Bar, locks forward into the bottom of the instrument panel for the down position. To retract, the thumb button is depressed while sliding the locking mechanism downwards and the handle is pulled to floor between the seats.

"The entire retraction of all three wheels seems almost instantaneous and is effortless if done before too much speed is gained. Flaps are extended hydraulically through a manual handle located next to the gear. Full flap is obtained with four complete pumps, and the flaps will retract automatically. Mooney introduced electrically operated landing gear and flaps as standard in 1969, however, the manual gear is so popular there is no price difference between electric and manual gear when purchasing an early Mooney."

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20performance/Mooney/31.htm

Edited by Scott Dyer [HPN/NY] (03/05/14 02:24 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20423

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG