AVSIG: PiperJet Becomes More Biz Jet Oriented... wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Piper

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
treploW nellA
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: NNJ(me)/DXR(plane)
Re: PiperJet Becomes More Biz Jet Oriented... [Re: Sean Franklin]
      #302498 - 11/01/10 12:08 AM

Quote:

There is a lot to like about a single-engine turbine (jet or prop). Greatly improved reliability over piston twins, good power and speed, but reasonable (almost piston-like) fuel burns. A twin jet is going to be expensive to run, even a Mustang.

Turbine engine fuel flows are proportional to speed and weight. The fuel flow doesn't care if you get the speed out of one or two engines.

A twin engine C425 and a TBM700 both go about the same speed at FL250 with about the same FF. In the equivalent $/nm of DOC one or two engines do not make a lot of difference.

The savings of a single engine are in less weight, less systems, and less OH expense, all at the cost of less redundancy.

--------------------
Allen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mac Tichenor (DAL)
Top Gun

Reged: 06/04/04
Re: PiperJet Becomes More Biz Jet Oriented... [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #302721 - 11/03/10 04:29 AM

Dave -

I've been very pleased with Socata's service and general responsiveness, as well as with my local service center (Cutter @ TKI). In the most recent Pro Pilot magazine survey, Socata's service/support ranked a close second to Pilatus and ahead of both Cessna and Hawker/Beech among turboprops.

About 70% of the 530+/- TBM 700/850s are US based. Perhaps as a result of this US predominance, I have seen no effects of currency fluctuations. All pricing is in dollars and does not vary any more than I've seen with other makes. My sense is that competitive factors control pricing.

As Allen mentioned, there's a lot of good information and advice available at the the tbmowners.org site. And feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it in more detail.

Best,
Mac

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9764

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG