AVSIG: Thinking about a P-Baron wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Beechcraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Tom Gresham (HDC)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Jay Apt]
      #250488 - 06/07/09 10:46 PM

Jay:

Another option is to just FEDEX the stuff for each trip. It would be cheaper than operating a twin. Seriously.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Durden
Top Gun

Reged: 06/07/04
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Tom Gresham (HDC)]
      #250489 - 06/07/09 10:53 PM

Tom,

>>The ride in the Duke was great. Nice plane. I'm not getting a Duke.<<

Sensible.

I've had three friends own Dukes. Each put his on the market within a month of buying it.

The aerodynamics are awful - there are those who said that Beech engineers were told to make the airplane slow so that it would not be faster than the King Air 90. With that power and with a little work on the aerodynamics it would outrun a King Air 90 series easily; but it would have created a marketing nightmare for the turboprop set at Beech.

414A might be right for you, although it's a bit slower than a 340 on the same engines, it carries well and is an utter delight to fly. (Vgs on the 340 bump up the useful load, so a 340A might work, all things considered.) With the current market, a 421C might also be worth doing, although it would depend on the condition of the engines. Hire Mike Busch to coordinate the pre-buy exam.

P-Baron won't work for you, I suspect. Cabin is too small and the reliability history of Beech turbocharging isn't always pretty.

The reality is that you need a supercharged, late version T-Bone or Queen Air. Yeah, you'll have to suck on a bag, but it will carry what you need, go high enough to get decent fuel efficiency and fly like a dream.

Cheers,
Rick

Kcid LlirreM
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Chuckey, TN
      #250518 - 06/08/09 09:41 AM

Quote:

Jay:

Another option is to just FEDEX the stuff for each trip. It would be cheaper than operating a twin. Seriously.

When I moved to Tennessee I brought my new golf cart up in a u-haul. Would have been cheaper to sell the old one in Houston and buy a new one up here.

Dick

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
      #250565 - 06/08/09 04:46 PM

Quote:

But, it's air conditioned, and Pat is going to like that!

AC is a godsend in a pressurized airplane. I had the Keith electrical system which was nice. You could precool the plane with ground power, and there was no prohibition against using it on take off like the hydraulic system. And even thought it was an R-128 based, the Keith system got cold enough to chill the beer in your hand.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Kurata [KLVK] (06/08/09 04:47 PM)

Tom Gresham (HDC)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #250605 - 06/08/09 11:08 PM

I'm looking at the Cessna pressurized twins. The 340 is smaller but faster. I don't know how much room is in the nose and wing lockers for baggage, so I need to see one.

The 414 would be nice, and the 421 would be great. I just wonder if it would feel strange flying across the country by myself hauling all that cabin behind me.

Rick, as you know, I loved the T-Bone. Wonderful plane. But, AC is number one on the wish list. Wider cabin is number two. Pressurization is three.

The mission has changed for me, and I'm not looking for adventure in flying. It's a working tool, and comfort for passengers has moved to the top.

Evad Rellimhtug
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
      #250613 - 06/08/09 11:45 PM Attachment (372 downloads)

Tom,
One of our guys in the Aero Squadron has owned a 414 for many years and he really likes it. It has the higher horse power RAM engines on it and a good avionics suite. He also owns an L39 and a Gazelle helicopter.

I've probably got 20 or so right seat hours on department missions and we've hauled a LOT of crap in it.<g> I especially like how good the A/C system works when we're at the desert airports in the summer.

--------------------
Best,
Evad

Edited by Dave Guthmiller (06/08/09 11:49 PM)

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Evad Rellimhtug]
      #250643 - 06/09/09 12:26 PM

Dave,

Looks like it has Vortex Generators also. We added VGs to the RAM 414 I flew...I had to relearn how to land it. I liked them.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Evad Rellimhtug
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Jeff Hartmann CIC]
      #250650 - 06/09/09 01:32 PM

Quote:

Dave,

Looks like it has Vortex Generators also. We added VGs to the RAM 414 I flew...I had to relearn how to land it. I liked them.

Jeff,
Yes, it does have the VG's on it. It also has a flat screen TV in the back with DVD and VCR player. His wife doesn't like to fly much so she just climbs in the back, closes the curtains and watches movies until it's all over. <g>

--------------------
Best,
Evad

Scott Hartwig
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Southern Illinois
      #259141 - 08/08/09 08:54 PM

Tom,
I'd take a good look at the 340. I get to fly Courtesy's and it serves us well. If there is one of us or six of us, it seems to fill the bill quite well. Feels like cabin class (albeit narrow) yet doesn't seem too wasteful when only one or two of us aboard.
BTW, I camped two rows behind Curt and Debbie Welge at OSH this year, and the T-bone is doing well. We're going to be neighbors with them at IL71 near Carbondale, IL when we get the houses built.

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: Thinking about a P-Baron [Re: Scott Hartwig]
      #259429 - 08/10/09 08:09 PM Attachment (357 downloads)

I tried to find you...here's proof.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Edited by Jeff Hartmann (INT/SVH) (08/10/09 08:11 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32998

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG