AVSIG: ATC Hiring inadequate wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> FAA Topics

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
ATC Hiring inadequate
      #417144 - 10/26/15 08:07 PM

Not quite the article I saw in today's paper, but seems close. Both FAA and the union say they need to step up the hiring of new controllers.

America's air traffic controller shortage

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Russell Holton]
      #417145 - 10/26/15 08:34 PM

They might get some better qualified applicants if they go back to the old way of qualifying and interviewing folks instead of the current politically correct travesty.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Russell Holton]
      #417147 - 10/26/15 08:55 PM

Well, it is an interesting situation. We certainly need a lot of replacement ATC folks (think the strike about 29 years ago).

I need some valid income information for what a 30 year career ATC controller could make over that period. OK, that might be a lot of expensive overtime -and what does the retirement look like. Do they have to retire at a certain age? Could they make over $200,000 a year if they worked 60 hours a week? Should that be allowed.

Yes, a stressful vital job -and we are in this situation of needed a lot of new employees for the next 3-4 years -then perhaps not so much2
Somehow we will find qaualified applicatents?

Regards,

Dux

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #417150 - 10/26/15 09:23 PM

Dux -- Until someone who really knows something answers your questions, from the BLS website: Quick Facts: Air Traffic Controllers
2012 Median Pay $122,530 per year
$58.91 per hour

Entry-Level Education Associate’s degree

Work Experience in a Related Occupation None

On-the-job Training Long-term on-the-job training

Number of Jobs, 2012 25,000

Job Outlook, 2012-22 1% (Little or no change)

Employment Change, 2012-22 400

They have a max hiring age of 30 (i.e., 31 and you need not apply), and (generally) a retirement age of 56.

Absolute pay will depend on location of work and the level of the facility. OT right now in NY Tracon is pretty much a mandatory 1 day per week as they are regularly scheduled for 6 day weeks and that will continue at least well into next year from what I'm told.

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #417157 - 10/27/15 01:28 AM

I don't know their exact status, but typically Gov workers are limited to being paid what a Congress critter makes. Which is currently arouns $175K.

No matter how much over time or premium pay.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #417287 - 10/30/15 09:10 PM

A lot of people at NY Tracon are working six-day weeks with base pay over $180K - - and they do get overtime pay, so some are well over $200K.

But for the non-union-contract part of the Gummint, yes, there are a couple of statutory limits that kick in. When I went to Malaysia for the MAS370 investigation, I had about 60 hours OT the first week. As I recall, I cleared about $80 extra.

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #417290 - 10/31/15 01:34 AM

Quote:

A lot of people at NY Tracon are working six-day weeks with base pay over $180K - - and they do get overtime pay, so some are well over $200K.

But for the non-union-contract part of the Gummint, yes, there are a couple of statutory limits that kick in. When I went to Malaysia for the MAS370 investigation, I had about 60 hours OT the first week. As I recall, I cleared about $80 extra.

I was wondering about the union deal. And where the statutory limits applied and did not apply. I know for people going to Kabul or Baghdad, where there is a huge Danger Pay and Hardship Differential, if you hit the cap, they will defer one of the two until the next year. It also helps, that tours are summer to summer. :)

When was that? Gov used to have the stupid setup, where overtime pay was capped at a GS-10 Step 10 hourly rate (not 10-10 x 1.5). So many people made less for overtime work, than they did for straight time.

AND, the gov payroll system, assumed you made that pay periods pay, for ALL pay periods, and taxed accordingly. So for that pay period, you were taxed as if you made that all year.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #417296 - 10/31/15 07:31 AM

Quote:

AND, the gov payroll system, assumed you made that pay periods pay, for ALL pay periods, and taxed accordingly. So for that pay period, you were taxed as if you made that all year.

Taxed or withheld?

That's the way it's always worked for me in the private sector. Each check is withheld as though that's what I make each pay period. It all gets evened out when you file your return for the year.

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #417297 - 10/31/15 08:19 AM

Quote:

When I went to Malaysia for the MAS370

Did you work with a Malaysian named Mior Norbadlishah. He went through CJ4 initial with me. After his boss retired, he became lead on the 370 deal.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
ATC Hiring inadequate [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #417299 - 10/31/15 09:04 AM

>>> the gov payroll system, assumed you made that pay periods pay, for ALL
pay periods and taxed accordingly.

That's not just a gov deal. I've had it happen at bonus time with four
different employers. At least one explained that's how IRS wants it
calculated.

--------------------
Ray,

Owner, Lake Wood Be Gone

Turning quality lumber into sawdust and noise since 2013.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5650

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG