AVSIG: FAA Administrator DUI wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> FAA Topics

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: FAA Administrator DUI [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #330731 - 12/10/11 01:27 PM

Quote:

Ray,

The hardest thing for me as a manager was having to terminate employees. I always tried to run my staffs a little lean to avoid such things, but sometimes there are things that a manager can not control. I always handled it myself. :(

the other bill

Yep. me too, hated that, whether it was due to performance issues or staffing levels. In fact, IMO if one enjoys that sort of thing they are not good management material. I always tried to run one head short of authorized levels and cover the shortage with overtime. Unfortunately it was often a "use it or lose it" proposition and if a job went unfilled for an extended time the authorization sometimes would disappear.

Unfortunately, the way things were in the business, I got quite good at handling out layoff letters.

One thing that surprised me, although it shouldn't have, was the way people watched what I did and followed my lead. I got transferred to one city, got a temporary apartment and started house-hunting. One guy said, "You aren't going to buy house, are you?" I said sure, why not.

"Well the rumor is they are going to close this city, and after all, you are the "Closer" are you not?"

I bought a nice house, everyone relaxed with the knowledge that the boss had some confidence in our longevity, and it took two years to close that particular city. I wasn't as lucky in Milwaukee. I was in the house from July 4th to Christmas.

I had a guy who was waiting on buying a new car until he was sure the company was going to survive. One of the other guys asked how he would know when that was true. A week later he bought the car. He had it paid off by the time anything bad happened to the company.

My general advice to folks was to live their life, be prudent in their decisions, be flexible and open to the possibilities. Some of life's best opportunities are disguised as problems.

Edited by Mase Taylor (12/10/11 01:50 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Ashland, Oregon
Re: FAA Administrator DUI [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #330753 - 12/10/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

As Mr. Babbitt has shown, it's easy to go from hero to zero quite quickly. (And speaking of bureaucratic skills, letting LaHood find out about the DUI bust from the cops two days after it occurred was a career-limiting move all by itself. Having that occur while Mr. Babbitt was out flying an FAA airplane was just frosting...)

Does the name Duane Freer mean anything to you?

--------------------
"Why not be a nihilist? A man has to believe in something."
-Bernie Gunther

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
FAA Administrator DUI [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #330761 - 12/10/11 06:16 PM

Fortunately, the only two firings I've done were absolutely clear-cut cases.
It was still difficult, but the lack of ambiguity helped.

The nagging question for me was always why the person behaved the way he did
and whether there was anything I could have done to head it off earlier.

--------------------
Ray,

Owner, Lake Wood Be Gone

Turning quality lumber into sawdust and noise since 2013.

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: FAA Administrator DUI [Re: B. Butler (Oregonian)]
      #330986 - 12/13/11 10:07 PM

Yep,

Management of a few B-747's or even being Air Safety Chairman for the pilot union is not enough for a position as FAA Administrator.

Well, I should also note that Randy was President of a pilot union with (then) 72,000 pilots and a country wide staff of over 900 full time folks-attorneys, engineers, etc.

I'm sorry to see him leave -but it is a terrible job for sure.

He was a good friend -and as I originally noted, this would have been page 5 in the papers 30-40 years ago.

Today, I doubt if any major airline Chief Pilot could stay on his/her job with a public DUI. Hey, they's the stuff today, and the crashes and deaths from DUI drivers has gone down drastically -I think.

Regards,

Dux

Ken Korshin KMIA
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Key Largo, Florida, USA
Re: FAA Administrator DUI [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #331265 - 12/19/11 11:37 AM

Dux,
Quote:

I'm sorry to see him leave -but it is a terrible job for sure.

Enough to drive him to drink. A thankless and difficult job even in with funding.

--------------------
Best,

Ken

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: FAA Administrator DUI [Re: Ken Korshin KMIA]
      #331298 - 12/19/11 10:25 PM

Hi Ken

Looked at a recent article about the AA Chapter 11 (different thread).

They still have a bunch of MD-80's (or are they "Super 80"?

My son flew them for many years as 1st Officer and Captain. Now it looks like the B-737 (he is an instructor on that) will sorta replace them. Before 9/11 he was an instructor Captain on the 757/767. With the Chapter 11, he will be happy to just stay as an instructor and in the left seat I think.

Perhaps even Airbus A-321's.

The FAA will not be much into the future of AA, except for reviewing their maintenance when they fourlough 1,000-3,000 mechanics in the next two years. Hell, it could be 4,000.

Oh yes, and drop that scope clause, which will allow a potential AA LCC to fly the A-319's or other 100 passenger jets with non mainline AA pilots and crew.

I'm sorry that the FAA has lost Randy. He was a safety oriented ALPA president, and the only ALPA official that really gave credit to the APA, American, and FAA for the original ASAP program.

I expect you could write a book about the MD-80 birds. Tell me again why they need that strip under the cockpit -perhaps to keep the nose straight with an engine out?

Regards,

Dux -soon off to DCA for a few days -and coming back to Tucson in January on a Delta -90 with 160 seats? Is that just a Delta version of an MD-80?

Tony Williams [MYF]
Public Guest

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: San Diego, California or Baghd...
      #331652 - 12/24/11 10:57 AM

Quote:

Hi Ken

Looked at a recent article about the AA Chapter 11 (different thread).

I think only the factory (Douglas) and AA called the planes by their proper name, DC9-Super 80, instead of the McDonnell monicker, MD-80. The blueprints and production certificate also used the proper terms.

I built engine wiring harnesses, in Long Beach, on the Super 80.

--------------------
Tailwinds always,

Tony Williams

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
      #332039 - 12/30/11 09:22 AM

[quote (or are they "Super 80"?

Tell me again why they need that strip under the cockpit -perhaps to keep the nose straight with an engine out?

The dash 50s also had that strake, an aerodynamic deal. Nosewheel tires on the -50s and subsequent had a sidewall chine, that was for diverting water flow.

We always just called them "crash 10"s , "dash 30"s, "dash 50"s, "dash 80"s, the type rating on your certificate just says DC-9. I think saying MD80 or Super 80 was sorta an affectation.

best, randy

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #332048 - 12/30/11 10:31 AM

Quote:

Douglas initially called the MD80 the "DC9 Super 80". AAL was the only airline that I know that stuck with the "Super 80" name after McD rebranded it the MD80.

Quote:

Tell me again why they need that strip under the cockpit -perhaps to keep the nose straight with an engine out?

I never flew a DC9 larger than than DC9-41, which doesn't have the strakes, but did hear the answer to this once. If I remember correctly, it had to due with longitudinal stability at high angles of attack and was needed when they stretched the -41 into the much longer -50 series.

Quote:

coming back to Tucson in January on a Delta -90 with 160 seats? Is that just a Delta version of an MD-80?

The big difference in the MD90, other than a newer generation avionics, is the engine. The IAE V2500 replaced the JT8D family of engines that had powered the DC9 line all the pay back to the -7 in the 10-series. It's also about 5' longer than the MD88.

Looks like my Douglas days may be nearing an end. The continued reduction in the DC8 fleet is going to bump me over to the B767. I guess it was inevitable, and I'm sure I'll like the airplane, but I'd stay in the old Douglasouras a bit longer if I could.

"Boeing builds airplanes. Douglas builds character."

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
Re: FAA Administrator DUI [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #332057 - 12/30/11 12:16 PM

Apropos of nothing. I flew DL 2288 from Atlanta to Boston yesterday. It was listed as being on a 737-800, but was actually an MD-90.

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8523

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG