AVSIG: Coming to a Tower Near You? wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Air Traffic Control

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Coming to a Tower Near You? [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #415325 - 09/16/15 10:11 PM

I think it's a good idea. Given the proliferation of cheap sensors of various sorts, there is really no reason to stick to the model of a bunch of people on top of a building that sometimes end up in the clouds even when the surface visibility is better. Low-light and infrared cameras can help a lot with night work, and motion sensing could help, too. There is a lot of potential for giving controllers a much better view of what's going on from a variety of perspectives, not just one. We'll probably get the grand Leesburg tour at some point - I'd like to see it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gil Buettner [KAUW]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: Gateway to the Northwoods
Re: Coming to a Tower Near You? [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #415346 - 09/17/15 12:23 PM

Quote:

Gil -- A month ago I was switched to Approach at ILM by Seymour Johnson approach around 9PM. Couldn't get 'em, went back to Seymour. Apparently it was a complete transmit failure at the TraCab at ILM, approach and tower transmitters were out (I assume Ground, too). Seymour told me to stay with him, he'd see me most of the way, and then enter the pattern for a visual and look for light gun signals.

LIGHT GUN SIGNALS!?!?!?!

Thankfully the clipboard that I use on flights is one my wife gave me, and it has the light gun signals on it. Got that in hand quickly, ready to go, heart-rate returning to normal. <G>

As it happened, they got the transmitter working again (another Quarter in the box?) before I got to see any lights.

Taxiing in, I told the local controller that I'd had a moment of panic before I got my cheat sheet in hand. She told me that she got pulled out of the break room because they wanted someone who (supposedly) knew how to work the gun. Who knows?

It is pretty basic - green means GO, red means STOP (which is hard to do in an airplane, of course). But what about flashing green, which supposedly will be followed by a steady green for landing clearance? One tower controller said he can't tell if he is pointing the light directly at the airplane so he waves it back and forth... in effect, making it flashing and never steady.

--------------------
-Gil

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: Coming to a Tower Near You? [Re: Gil Buettner [KAUW]]
      #415347 - 09/17/15 12:31 PM Attachment (192 downloads)

Quote:

It is pretty basic - green means GO, red means STOP (which is hard to do in an airplane, of course). But what about flashing green, which supposedly will be followed by a steady green for landing clearance? One tower controller said he can't tell if he is pointing the light directly at the airplane so he waves it back and forth... in effect, making it flashing and never steady.

Put a copy of this on your knee board:

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Edited by Mase Taylor (09/17/15 12:32 PM)

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Coming to a Tower Near You? [Re: Gil Buettner [KAUW]]
      #415352 - 09/17/15 02:43 PM

Gil -_ The steady red/green wasn't going to be a problem...it's that flashing stuff, in the air and on the ground. Cheat sheets 'r us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5094

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG