AVSIG: Ecuador, really??!! wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Ashland, Oregon
Ecuador, really??!!
      #446221 - 12/25/17 05:49 PM

I have to say, i'm a little surprised that nobody reacted to the fact that ol' 30T is going to another continent. I was at least expecting Randy to remind us of his days as El A'quila de los Andes.

It is a story still in progress, but the first couple chapters have been pretty interesting.

--------------------
"Why not be a nihilist? A man has to believe in something."
-Bernie Gunther

Edited by B. Butler (Oregonian) (12/25/17 05:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Ecuador, really??!! [Re: B. Butler (Oregonian)]
      #446222 - 12/25/17 05:57 PM

The closest I've been is Bogota. We fly to Quito but I've never done that trip. (I think it's mostly IAH crews)

Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
      #446224 - 12/25/17 06:51 PM

My old '84 Seneca III went to Europe and then...poof! Never knew what happened to N992KT after it made landfall in Denmark.

Best,
Andy

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
      #446226 - 12/25/17 07:05 PM

Bill -- We're so jaded. <G>

I'm heading to Guyaquil, Quito and Coco (and points east of there) in March. Need a ferry pilot?

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Re: Ecuador, really??!! [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #446228 - 12/25/17 07:42 PM

Quote:

Bill -- We're so jaded. <G>

I'm heading to Guyaquil, Quito and Coco (and points east of there) in March. Need a ferry pilot?

Wow! That's a kink in the narrative arc indeed. Story follows:

Airplane has been with a local broker since last winter. A few inquiries; one in June developed through sales contract, frantic doc prep, signatures (remember, I'm in Canada)...no money.

In October inquiry from Ecuador: does it have right-hand brakes?. Reply: no, but commonly flown from right seat, just use hand brake. Counter: Must have right brakes, will you install?

Me: No.
Him: I'll pay, how much?
Me: quien sabe? Muestrame el dinero.

So he sends $5000, nonrefundable, to hold the airplane, find and install the brakes and secure the export license. ...and he asks how much for me the install.

We find a salvaged brake assembly pretty soon, but quickly realize, you don't ADD the brakes, you start all over from NO brakes.

In the course of our search, we are told, "Can't be done." "I did it; never again." "It's pretty easy after you cut the hole in the side of the airplane."

We assure him we can do the install, but my shop refuses to give a price. He wisely says, Put the box in the luggage compartment, he'll get it done in Ecuador, to the enormous relief of me and my shop manager.

--------------------
-Bernie Gunther

Edited by B. Butler (Oregonian) (12/25/17 08:34 PM)

B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

#446230 - 12/25/17 08:00 PM

So the guy says he's on his way to take the airplane mid-December, by which time I'm in Mexico, of course, generating a lot of email. Here I should mention that my buyer is a monoglot who is clearly relying heavily on Google Translate; while I'm too slow to be truly fluent in Spanish, I do read and write passably. My broker is challenged in her native tongue, English.

Then he wants airplane delivered in Mexico, can we? Broker says sure; I say, "Mue'strame el dinero."

Then he discovers that while los Estados Unidos y Mexico have no insurance requirements, several of the countries he will overfly require liability coverage. His broker has given him a ridiculous quote; can we help?

--------------------
-Bernie Gunther

B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

#446232 - 12/25/17 08:32 PM

Needless to say, I see my deal sliding away, leaving me with a brake assembly I have no use for, a useless export license, an airplane I no longer want and a couple grand for my trouble

My broker shops the insurance and gets gets one quote: $7500 for ten days, liability only.

I'm in Puerto Vallarta, trying to drown my troubles, when I get an email from my broker saying, "Balance hit our bank today, will be in yours tomorrow."

Buyer... no, belay that...the new owner has decided to work on the insurance issue, and if he can't work it out by February, we are to disassemble the aircraft, box it and ship it to him.

So, it's taken a while to get to the punchline, but the answer to your ferry pilot question is: Maybe, talk to your insurance broker.

--------------------
-Bernie Gunther

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #446233 - 12/25/17 09:07 PM

Quote:

So, it's taken a while to get to the punchline, but the answer to your ferry pilot question is: Maybe, talk to your insurance broker.

Wow.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
      #446236 - 12/25/17 09:31 PM

Quote:

Needless to say, I see my deal sliding away, leaving me with a brake assembly I have no use for, a useless export license, an airplane I no longer want and a couple grand for my trouble

My broker shops the insurance and gets gets one quote: $7500 for ten days, liability only.

I'm in Puerto Vallarta, trying to drown my troubles, when I get an email from my broker saying, "Balance hit our bank today, will be in yours tomorrow."

Buyer... no, belay that...the new owner has decided to work on the insurance issue, and if he can't work it out by February, we are to disassemble the aircraft, box it and ship it to him.

Quite the saga, Bill! It's fabulous that you've gotten the cash.

Since I'm already booked on American for the Ecuador adventure, your owner will likely do better with the box and ship method. OTOH, if he can wait until April .... <G>

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: Ecuador, really??!! [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #446250 - 12/26/17 08:06 AM

If you end up doing it and needing/wanting a co-pilot, let me know.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3109

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG