AVSIG: B-29 pilot position wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #307032 - 12/23/10 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, Randy, doesn't your computer keyboard have a Backspace key?

Prolly spo. dunno, but anyhow this isn't my computer, it is the Scott countiey Library's.

best, randy

We really gots to get someone to get yer home computer up to speed. This library crapola has a lot of shortcomings.....

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
J. Wiley
Aviation Researcher

Reged: 05/01/04
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #307058 - 12/24/10 05:12 AM

Quote:

First big pressurized airplane to be mass-produced, though the Constellation ran a close second based on "first flight" dates.

And what many do not realize is the Connie was in the LRB competition albeit for a short time as the XB-30.

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #307228 - 12/26/10 02:32 PM

It is my understanding that O'Shaughnessy and others have offered multiple times to go over to Radny's house and set him up. For some reason he keeps declining. He has a nice new computer too.
Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #307461 - 12/28/10 02:09 PM

Quote:

[We really gots to get someone to get yer home computer up to speed. This library crapola has a lot of shortcomings.....

Yup, concur, $2500 bux on that thing over in my office, but still noi intenet, this one at thelocal libary has the advantag eof beoijg cheap, even tho it only gives meone hour, that's the why i can't take the time to correct anything

best, randy

Randy Sohn

Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #307462 - 12/28/10 02:12 PM

Quote:

Even that much could give you problems with any other shape. The circle is ideal, because it loads the skin in pure tension: doesn't add any bending loads anywhere.

Yup, the Boeing guys told me when I was out there to give them those type ratings that hat's the reason they didit that way. Same principle on the B-29 /B-50/B-377.

best, randy

Randy Sohn

Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #307463 - 12/28/10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Randy,

Did they leave the B-29 pressurized when over the target area? I am thinking in terms of rapid decompression and the effects that AA would have on the pressure vessel.

the other bill

Yup, remmeber thgoi tha oinle tha front office, the gunners wais tarea and the rear gunner's position wer epressurized. Big problems at first with blown out plexicglass blisters, that's one big reason we picked 44-62070 for becoming fifi, laess glass to replace.

best, randy

Randy Sohn

Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #307464 - 12/28/10 02:17 PM

Quote:

It is my understanding that O'Shaughnessy and others have offered multiple times to go over to Radny's house and set him up. For some reason he keeps declining. He has a nice new computer too.
Anne

Es verdad, mi amiga! O'S and others have offered and to teach my the Apple also. Hope you enjoyed Hotlanta.

best, randy

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #307472 - 12/28/10 08:41 PM

Quote:

Es verdad, mi amiga! O'S and others have offered and to teach my the Apple also.

The offer is still good, my friend!

Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: INDIANA
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #307477 - 12/29/10 12:08 AM

Quote:

Randy,

Did they leave the B-29 pressurized when over the target area? I am thinking in terms of rapid decompression and the effects that AA would have on the pressure vessel.

the other bill

Dear Bill,

Yes they left it pressurized over the target. Although they discovered that all the money spent on having a high altitude pressurized bomber was for at least against Japan a waste of money. It was something they could never had figured on. The Jet Steam. From the altitude they were bombing from the bombs would suddenly pass their a layer of high winds and then normal, making high altitude bombing next to impossible even with the Norden. The only real way to do it, was to send a pathfind through that would bomb according to what the Norden said was the release point, and check the actual impact point and radio back to the incoming bombers with the appropriate adjustments.

In the end LeMay showed up from Europe and studied the problems and basically said "Sc*ew high altitude pin point bombing!" and ordered all the turrets taken off but the rear gun station, and ordered night bombing at much lower altitude with HE bombs, incendiaries and napalm using radar bombing. The effects was devastating. Unlike the British who almost brought the Germans to their knees (this is according to the Germans after the war) when they used this type of bombing the first tim, who would stop it when they just about had them on the breaking point, due to heavy night bomber losses, LeMay did not stop.

Jack E. Hammond

Randy Sohn

Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Jack E. Hammond]
      #307511 - 12/29/10 04:38 PM

Quote:

[basically said "Sc*ew high altitude pin point bombing!" and ordered all the turrets taken off but the rear gun station, and ordered night bombing at much lower altitude Jack E. Hammond

Jack, concur, with all and thanks for the typing and expalining. I was fascinating for me to do he last5 interview with LeMay , about ath and other things, in the Daedalian room at the O club in March AFB in Riverside, CA. I had three of them there being TVed , Vic Agather, Curt LeMay and Jack Catton, and LeMay would answer and then Jack would sumamrize the comments witha word clip for TV. Great guys!

best, randy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8966

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG