AVSIG: B-29 pilot position wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aircraft

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Ward Miller POU-NY
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: New York
B-29 pilot position [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #306693 - 12/19/10 05:48 PM

Hey, Randy, doesn't your computer keyboard have a Backspace key?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Millikan
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Mid Fla
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #306835 - 12/21/10 05:30 PM

Never sat in the engr's seat.
Our a/c did nothave those primer painted poles near each instrument panel.
trivia.. the front seat throttles were twice as long as the engr's throttles (so we could over power him if need be).
Dave

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Dave Millikan]
      #306837 - 12/21/10 06:05 PM

Well, I've never flown an aircraft that had an engineer seat with their own throttles/mixtures/etc.

The Navy P-3 (and I assume the Lockheed Electra) did have two sets of throttles. It was a VERY wide cockpit. (The landing gear handle could only be moved by the copilot).

On takeoff and sometimes at other times of flight, the FE would move the right 4 sets of thrust levers -and you could always move the other set from the left seat.

They got very good at picking a horsepower level requested.
At low altitude at night over water, the pilots were looking at instruments as well as outside for such things as sonobouy lights, smoke lights and trying to put together the problem of guessing where the submarine was located. Yes the tactical coordinator from the flight deck would give us electronic inputs to our flight screens.

We used the altitude hold feature to hold the aircraft at 200 feet. But you could turn as needed and adjust power in the turns. I never did that low altitude stuff with three engines (feather #1) -but it was allowed. Sure, at altitude I often had #1 shut down on station. Going any distance, it was better to have all 4 engines going.

It was an interesting adjustment in the 60's for Dux to realize that the higher the power (turbine inlet temp) of a turbo jet, the more fuel efficient it was. Sure did not work in the old 3350 P2V's and P5M's.
We used FE's for throttle use on the older B-747. The newer -400, did not have a FE seat and most of the throttle work was automatic.

I know the old B-707.DC-8's, B727s, and first B747/DC-10's did have FE seats.(perhaps the L1011 also?). I don't think any had a totally different set of throttles and stuff for the FE.

The B-29 was perhaps the first big bomber to be pressurized -I don't think FIFI turns on that system.

Regards,

Dux (Minneapolis tonight, DCA tomorrow for a few days)

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #306838 - 12/21/10 06:25 PM

Quote:

I know the old B-707.DC-8's, B727s, and first B747/DC-10's did have FE seats.(perhaps the L1011 also?). I don't think any had a totally different set of throttles and stuff for the FE.

On the DC8 we just have FE's with long left arms.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #306845 - 12/21/10 08:25 PM

Quote:

The B-29 was perhaps the first big bomber to be pressurized -I don't think FIFI turns on that system.

First big pressurized airplane to be mass-produced, though the Constellation ran a close second based on "first flight" dates. They were preceded by the B307, but only 10 of those were built.

The 307 has B-17 wings, engines and tail, plus a circular fuselage to hold the pressure. I believe it was the first airplane to have a dedicated FE station...in the B-17, the FE worked at the power pedestal between the pilots and doubled as the top turret gunner.

John Deakin says that FIFI flies unpressurized, often with an open hatch for ventilation.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Ward Miller POU-NY]
      #306990 - 12/23/10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Hey, Randy, doesn't your computer keyboard have a Backspace key?

Prolly spo. dunno, but anyhow this isn't my computer, it is the Scott countiey Library's.

best, randy

Randy Sohn

Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Dave Millikan]
      #306991 - 12/23/10 04:48 PM

Quote:

Never sat in the engr's seat.
Our a/c did nothave those primer painted poles near each instrument panel.
trivia.. the front seat throttles were twice as long as the engr's throttles (so we could over power him if need be).
Dave

Dave, poles might have been the unit's own, dunno. Also, fifi was tail # 31 while she was at Randolph AFB. Unequal throttlews reminded me of the B-307 Statoliner, when I gave that Buzz Nelson form the Boeing Co. a type rating it also had unequal throttles for the co-pilot.

best, ramndy

Randy Sohn

Re: B-29 pilot position [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #306992 - 12/23/10 04:54 PM

Quote:

>>though the Constellation ran a close second<<

Concur, the Connie had throttles for the F/E also, as did the B-50, C-124, and the C-97s, mebbe more, dunno. Deakin should know, history, that I disab;le theAC system before I brought her home toTexas from China Lake NAS, too much wiring (old).

>> plus a circular fuselage to hold the pressure<,It had only about tow #s of differntial pressure.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Loc: 4CO2
      #307004 - 12/23/10 06:46 PM

Quote:

It had only about tow #s of differntial pressure.

Even that much could give you problems with any other shape. The circle is ideal, because it loads the skin in pure tension: doesn't add any bending loads anywhere.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #307005 - 12/23/10 07:01 PM

Randy,

Did they leave the B-29 pressurized when over the target area? I am thinking in terms of rapid decompression and the effects that AA would have on the pressure vessel.

the other bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8967

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG