Warning: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /var/www/aerofarm/web/ubbthreads/showflat.php on line 155
AVSIG: Net Neutrality wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Net Neutrality
      #445168 - 11/23/17 04:09 AM

Now that the industry shill running the FCC seems hellbent on blowing up net neutrality, I think VPNs are going to get a lot more popular. Somebody needs to come up with a simpler way to build a high-speed VPN router, though: I'd like to run my whole house network behind one, but the speed penalty is horrendous. I have an Asus 5300 router that can be configured to run OpenVPN, but when I configured it, I only got 40 to 50mb speeds. Since I have gigabit service via fiber to the house, that's a pathetic waste of capacity.

Running the VPN client on each PC/iPad works faster, but is unnecessarily complex and doesn't cover everything like a single VPN connection between house and world would. Apparently the problem is that normal router processors are too slow to keep up with all the encryption needed at high data rates. So...plan B is to basically make an old PC with more processing capability into a stand-alone router, but all the explanations of how to do that launch off into Linux-blather real fast so it's going to take some figuring...

Edited by Mike Overly (11/27/17 01:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Net Neutrality [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #445171 - 11/23/17 04:40 AM

A quick hunt turned up Four Ways to Transform That Old PC Into a Powerful Router. But yeah, you'll earn serious geek cred for doing that.

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Net Neutrality [Re: Russell Holton]
      #445172 - 11/23/17 06:22 AM

Yeah, thatís where I got to - but they sure donít make it easy!

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
      #445211 - 11/24/17 02:36 PM

Have you looked at Strong VPN offerings?

I use the software version a lot, based on recommendations from one of our IT guys in Oman. When I was there, I needed to get one up and running, as Oman blocks ALL VOIP connections.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Edited by Mike Overly (11/27/17 01:47 PM)

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Net Neutrality [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #445218 - 11/24/17 05:40 PM

Yes, we have StrongDNS for some expat TV watching. Works great.

I'm currently using IPVanish VPN client software on my own PC and iPad. That results in tolerable speeds, but what I'd really like to do is leave the individual devices alone and run the VPN service as a buffer between the whole house network and AT&T. The Asus router I'm using is pretty high-end for their non-commercial product line and will indeed act as an OpenVPN client for various VPN services, but the processor isn't fast enough to keep up with the 1Gb data rate on our U-Verse fiber link. So...if I set up OpenVPN on the router, the data rate in/out of the house drops to 40-50mb instead of 900-950ish.

As I understand it, that's largely because routers don't have great processors. Theoretically, it's possible to repurpose a PC as a router using open-source software and reduce or eliminate that computational bottleneck - at least on the user end. I still have no idea whether the VPN server would be able to hold up their end of the deal even if I could encrypt full data rate: they have to be able to catch as fast as I can pitch to make it worthwhile.

Of course, if Mr. Pai at the FCC has his way, perhaps the "free market" solutions he's so fond of will result in hardware companies building better VPN routers for the peons. There may be some Cisco or other commercial-grade product out there that will do it, but so far they appear to be set up for more of a corporate-type setup where the company puts matching equipment at each end to manage an in-house network.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

#445222 - 11/24/17 08:01 PM

I think before getting to far down the "VPN everything" rabbit hole, one might define what the specific concern is.

If we're talking about someone eavesdropping on content, https goes a long way. It won't hide who you're talking to, but it will hide the "what".

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Net Neutrality [Re: Russell Holton]
      #445228 - 11/24/17 09:08 PM

I'm thinking down the road to the wonderful world of non-neutral net, which I find annoying in the extreme. The less opportunity I give AT&T to mess with my data stream, the better. VPN also helps minimize data mining and all that other fun stuff.

Time to go yell at the kids to get off my lawn.

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #445230 - 11/24/17 10:10 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking down the road to the wonderful world of non-neutral net, which I find annoying in the extreme.

Scott,

I have no opinion on the net neutrality issue. It's only been since 2015? I haven't noticed any difference, but then again I get my internet off a water tower two cities over. :))

Bill

Edited by Mike Overly (11/27/17 01:48 PM)

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Net Neutrality [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #445235 - 11/24/17 11:37 PM

To me honest, I'm not sure what to think about Net Neutrality. On one hand, you want a properly managed network. That is, you want things like streaming media to be prioritized over less time-sensitive stuff. Otherwise, services like VOIP and streaming video dies. And frankly, the ISP would love that. Because their offerings run in a different channel separate from the "internet" they deliver to the home. And since management is a form of favoritism, then turning that off is a win for the ISPs.

On the other hand, I understand that Netflix has their own network connection to many cable head-end offices. I think that's a good thing. Netflix users are getting the service they need to work, and non-subscribers are not paying for it. I call that a win-win.

That's not to say I don't have concerns. But so far, I've not seen anything that needs government intervention. Right now, it's become such a hot issue, I can't see where the fire is for all the political smoke.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Net Neutrality [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #445237 - 11/25/17 01:38 AM

Quote:

I have no opinion on the net neutrality issue. It's only been since 2015?

As I understand it, the ruling about Net Neutrality happened in 2015, but it was more of a preemptive rule, to keep the big ISPs (Comcast, AT&T, etc.) from starting to charge different rates to get to different sites/services.

To date, no one has done such a thing, which is why you would not have noticed anything.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7879

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG