AVSIG: Small camera choices wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Andy Alson (HPN/NY)
THE TOP GUN!

Reged: 08/31/01
Small camera choices
      #443890 - 10/15/17 11:09 AM

So we've got some miles on an old credit card that we don't use that are usable on airlines we don't fly and not transferable. Since I've still got an old flip phone (which works just fine for me) I'm thinking of using the miles for a small pocket camera.

Two choices I see on their website.

The Canon PowerShot SX730HS, and

The Nikon Coolpix A900.

Specs seem pretty similar, the Nikon will take videos in 4K while the Canon won't, the Canon is slightly smaller with a slightly greater optical zoom.

Anyone used either of these or have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rod Madsen (RDU)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: RDU, NC
Re: Small camera choices [Re: Andy Alson (HPN/NY)]
      #443891 - 10/15/17 11:37 AM

I never thought much about video until I had grandchildren. Then it became a must.

--------------------
Rod

Andy Alson (HPN/NY)
THE TOP GUN!

Re: Small camera choices [Re: Rod Madsen (RDU)]
      #443893 - 10/15/17 12:18 PM

Both cameras take video, one only hi-def the over 4K. Not sure the additional quality is needed, but available if I go that way.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #443895 - 10/15/17 01:15 PM

Quote:

Specs seem pretty similar, the Nikon will take videos in 4K while the Canon won't, the Canon is slightly smaller with a slightly greater optical zoom.

Most often video seems to be shared at a lower resolution that it was taken anyway. I bought a 720p camera (for a webcam) at 30% less than a 1080p camera for that reason.

These days, the megapixel race is pretty much over for consumer cameras. I'd vote for the camera with the better lens/better light gathering capability, or better zoom.

John

Nancy Zeitlin [HPN]
AVSIG Member

Loc: KHPN
      #443900 - 10/15/17 03:43 PM

I've got the SX730. It replaced an SX200 which served admirably for many years, but is getting a bit long in the tooth.

The SX730 hasn't been used as heavily as my SX200, but I have no hesitation in recommending it for still photos. I don't do video, but a fair amount of my use is at the full 40x telephoto and so far I'm pleased.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
      #443901 - 10/15/17 03:47 PM

While I don't think the Nikon is anything to sneeze at, it seems like a number of photos I like come from a PowerShot.

Unless you have a 4K TV, the 4K video is pointless.

However, Looking at the reviews, the Nikon seems to be favored (of the two), while there is concern over the battery life of the Canon.

One issue of the Canon - I believe that's the type where the lens zooms in/out for each power cycle. At some point that wears out and spells the end of the camera. So, the Nikon may be more durable.

It looks like the Nikon also has a GPS receiver - so it should be able to record where you are when you take the picture. A potential privacy concern when you share the photo (I think most social media strips that out now), but handy on traveling vacations when someone asks "where was that?"

Given a choice between the two, I think I'd lean toward the Nikon.

Nancy Zeitlin [HPN]
AVSIG Member

Loc: KHPN
Re: Small camera choices [Re: Russell Holton]
      #443905 - 10/15/17 05:45 PM

For me, battery life was never a problem with my SX200 as long as I used Canon batteries. Third party equivalents just didn't hold up as well. And its lens mount is still fine.

Not valid for Andy with his flip phone, but the SX730 has bluetooth to talk to my iPhone and use its GPS for geotagging. (And other good stuff, like remote trigger, viewer.)

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
      #443916 - 10/16/17 09:27 AM

What has not been mentioned is, there are Canon people and there are Nikon people. And they seldom cross brand lines.

:)

They both make great cameras and lenses. And if you get a group of photographers together, you can start a HUGE "conversation" about one over the other. Like Chevy vs. Ford or Piper vs. Cessna. :)

I am a Canon person. So baring any MAJOR differences, I will but the Canon.

But I only have about 20 Canon cameras (mostly film cameras).

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Andy Alson (HPN/NY)
THE TOP GUN!

Re: Small camera choices [Re: Russell Holton]
      #443917 - 10/16/17 09:32 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. As far as I can tell the Nikon doesn't have an internal GPS either.

Looks kind of like a tossup between the two. Although since Nancy is the only one who has actually used either her comments definitely have some weight.

Thanks again.

Andy

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
      #443919 - 10/16/17 09:44 AM

Hi Andy,
Perhaps this is helpful: Nikon A900 vs Canon SX730 HS

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3794

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG