AVSIG: We are the Borg wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
Re: We are the Borg [Re: Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago]
      #418652 - 12/04/15 05:20 PM

Interesting article Jeff.

the other bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: We are the Borg [Re: Terry Carraway]
      #418654 - 12/04/15 05:46 PM

Quote:

but many still have a slide rule on their belt.

In my day, Grasshopper, we measured the difficulty of a test by the temperature the slide rules reached...;-)

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
Re: We are the Borg [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #418663 - 12/04/15 08:49 PM

That's funny...I can smell the wood now....

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #419277 - 12/14/15 05:34 PM

...and now Comcast is not to be outdone. I received a mysterious box from them; the first thing out of the box was a brightly-colored "Getting Started" card. If you follow the instructions on it, a new wireless gateway gets hooked up to your cable connection.

A little googling discloses that they expect me to make my house a public access point for anyone who has a Comcast account.

No worries: Comcast says it's just ever so secure. I feel better now...;-)

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
      #419286 - 12/14/15 07:17 PM

Back to Windows 10; several complaints on another board by folks that upgraded and couldn't find files or other issues. Tech support wasn't real helpful. Others did fine. Press the link and take your chances.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #419365 - 12/16/15 05:32 PM

Quote:

...and now Comcast is not to be outdone. I received a mysterious box from them; the first thing out of the box was a brightly-colored "Getting Started" card. If you follow the instructions on it, a new wireless gateway gets hooked up to your cable connection.

A little googling discloses that they expect me to make my house a public access point for anyone who has a Comcast account.

I had their box that offered that "service." I had previously owned my own cable modem, but when I added Comcast Voice services, went back to their box. I didn't care for the inbuilt WiFi (as I had a downstream solution that worked better for me. I found that I could indeed purchase a unit on my own that would be supported by Comcast.

I installed it, and then returned the Comcast cable modem. The person at the counter didn't think I could do what I was doing... But I did. Clearly it is not a common option.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Now I no longer have a monthly fee, and I separate the functions to better suit my needs.

John

Cole Loftus [C89]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
      #419778 - 12/24/15 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And, really, OS flame wars seem so... retro ;-)

When I was young, Grasshopper, it was between Post and K+E slide rules <g>.

Post? Seriously?

Quote:

For me, it was TI vs. HP calculators.

I could never go back from HP. I've got PC and Android HP calculator apps over the years, too.

Quote:

No worries: Comcast says it's just ever so secure. I feel better now...;-)

I discovered that when Xfinity WAPs started showing up on my travels. I've got Comcast, but use my own modem and router.

Regarding Windows 10, I wish that I could use it, but it comes with Microsoft as system administrator. I'm curious to see how they do with a combination of free upgrade and shifting control of the computer further towards MS.

Ken Korshin KMIA
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Key Largo, Florida, USA
Re: We are the Borg [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #419781 - 12/24/15 10:31 PM

I called Comcast and asked to have the Hot Spot removed from my system. ( I don't know how it got there. For almost an hour the agent kept telling me how to secure my WiFi. When I said I would call the FCC to see if Comcast could put something on my computer that I didn't want she removed it in about 20 seconds.

If I buy a GE appliance does that give a GE service man the right to come into my house with out my permission? <G>

--------------------
Best,

Ken

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: We are the Borg [Re: Ken Korshin KMIA]
      #419785 - 12/24/15 11:08 PM

Quote:

If I buy a GE appliance does that give a GE service man the right to come into my house with out my permission? <G>

I donno. What did the ULA say? <g>

Terry Carraway
Top Gun

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Maryland
Re: We are the Borg [Re: Cole Loftus [C89]]
      #419832 - 12/25/15 11:24 AM

Quote:

I could never go back from HP. I've got PC and Android HP calculator apps over the years, too.

I discovered that when Xfinity WAPs started showing up on my travels. I've got Comcast, but use my own modem and router.

Regarding Windows 10, I wish that I could use it, but it comes with Microsoft as system administrator. I'm curious to see how they do with a combination of free upgrade and shifting control of the computer further towards MS.

Same here. Excaliber is the PC based RPN calculator I use. And best, it is free.

The HP-41CX app for iPhone is very nice, and even looks like an HP-41, but a neat addition, is above the main display, is a row of small boxes showing the stack contents.

I have a couple of HP-41s around, and a printer and card reader and a couple of app packs (including the Aviation one). And an HP-48 or 49. Basically a big -41, with a large graphics screen.

Same here with Comcast. My equipment.

Did not know that about Win10. Interesting.

I wonder how that will play with government agencies, where most employees do not have admin access.

--------------------
Terry
Mostly 0W3

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9274

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG