AVSIG: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Russell Holton]
      #413759 - 08/13/15 08:35 PM

Quote:

System restore.

Sadly - nothing there. When I choose System Restore the system reboots, and there are no restore points to choose from.

Oh well.

Maybe it's time for Windows 10!

John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #413764 - 08/13/15 09:36 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking it is more than just the video driver as the keyboard and mouse are frozen too. I think it is something deep that deals with the memory pass-though specific to VMware ESXi.

I'm running System Restore, but sadly, there is only one Restore Point saved, and it is from just after I did the Windows Update last night.

John, you sure that restore point is from after the update? Windows Update *always* creates a restore point before the update. I'm sure of that. There may be a few security "fixes" that it won't roll back but otherwise, the box should be as it was.

Lemme know how that Windows 10 deal goes, and yes, MS is still taking "reservations" for the free, what shall I call it, oh, upgrade to W10 <g> Reserve a spot, they're beggin' ya!!! <g>

For the thread, as many others have written before: DO NOT ALLOW AUTOMATIC UPDATES. On any software you have. Ever. Period. Set yerself reminders, especially for that particularly rancid bit of malware also known as Flash, which seems to leak exploits more than the proverbial rust bucket. Windows, just install the "Important" updates. Hmmm, didn't they used to call those "Critical"?

jb

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Jim Bell]
      #413766 - 08/13/15 10:10 PM Attachment (143 downloads)

It turns out there really were no Restore Points on the machine. :(

Looking into the upgrade process, it seems to expect a working system. I think I'll just let this sit for a while and try something again in a few weeks.

It is weird that it does not lock up until after I enter my user name and password and press ENTER. After that the screen clears and a Welcome message is displayed.

As mentioned before, the machine is still runnings as all my WMI remote sensor data is showing that CPU, Disk, Memory, etc., seem fine.

I guess I could try to boot again in Safe Mode and try to look at drivers to see if anything changed.

To your other point, I have this VM set to never update unless I tell it too -- and It is set to only download Important updates unless I manually go look at them.

Weird.

John

Edited by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] (08/13/15 10:10 PM)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #413781 - 08/14/15 12:45 AM Attachment (140 downloads)

Quote:

It turns out there really were no Restore Points on the machine. :(

Huh, that blows :-( I watch it happen here when updating, on both the "real" PC and Mac/Parallels/W7 <shrug> Hey, even MS seems to think so <g>

About trying Safe Mode again, maybe uninstall/re-install new drivers for the vid card, mouse stuff etc. from Device Manager? I know, it's a stretch, but like ya said, "At this stage, it is more of a sleuthing interest...". I get that, it's irritating when stuff don't work!

Images are from tonight's W7 Windows Update and it setting the restore point (the "real" PC, should update more frequently <g>), and on Mac/Paralells/W7, the manual IrfanView install restore point, and what it looks like. My comment about "Critical" being changed to "Important" on the Windows Update page, well, someone maybe forgot to refresh that code in System Restore on the client box <g> Btw, the small number of restore points, I limit how much disk space Win can use to save 'em, the old ones self-destruct...

OTOH, yeah, weird covers it <g>

Later: But wait, there's more! ;-) Create restore points before you install anything, name them sensibly! (not directed to you, John, it's a public forum...)

jb

Nigel Thompson(1D2)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #413785 - 08/14/15 08:09 AM

One other thought, there are actually three systems in play here, OSX, Win 7 and the VM. Could be that a change in any of them has caused this. Did you check that the current versions of both OSX and the VM are compatible? There's been a few patches in 10.10 recently, could that be a problem??

I keep the Mac that runs my VM at a previous version of OSX, as well as the VM, a I know there are no compatibility issues.

Nigel.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Nigel Thompson(1D2)]
      #413789 - 08/14/15 09:36 AM

Quote:

One other thought, there are actually three systems in play here, OSX, Win 7 and the VM. Could be that a change in any of them has caused this. Did you check that the current versions of both OSX and the VM are compatible?

I think you are on the correct path. The problem VM is not running on my Mac with VMware Fusion, it is running on VMware ESXi which I updated last weekend from 5.5 to 6.0. The Windows VM continued to run fine through a few reboots between the update Friday (a week ago) and the problems from the Wednesday night update/reboot.

One thing that came to mind is that the VMware Tools probably need to be updated in that VM. I'll have to see if I can do that from Safe Mode.

The universe of people running Windows 7 on an ESXi hypervisor is pretty small. The circle gets even smaller when you add in the fact that I'm using direct-memory-access for hardware passthrough to dedicate hardware (the video card) to this VM.

There used to be a great blog and forum for this stuff which finally helped me get it set up after trying in 2009 and failing. Unfortunately, the blog and forum is now a ghost town.

http://thehomeserverblog.com

Thank goodness this isn't a system I care about. It's just a little research project at this point. The systems I actually care about are backed up at least three different ways. :)

John

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Jim Bell]
      #413790 - 08/14/15 09:42 AM

Quote:

About trying Safe Mode again, maybe uninstall/re-install new drivers for the vid card, mouse stuff etc. from Device Manager? I know, it's a stretch, but like ya said, "At this stage, it is more of a sleuthing interest...". I get that, it's irritating when stuff don't work!

Yeah, along with checking the VMware Tools, I think I will try to check out the video driver.

I just checked my Windows 7 VM on my Mac, and was glad to see there were some Restore Points there. I had never checked before.

Oh well. Off to do some paid work. Maybe I'll poke at this more this weekend.

Thanks!

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

#413820 - 08/14/15 09:00 PM

Well, I poked at it a bit more today. I was able to get a bit further by manually toggling different startup items, but it never worked for more than a couple of minutes without hanging.

I decided to blow it all away and start over. I didn't even keep the VM disk image. That'll teach 'em!

One of the benefits is that I can start over with a "thin" disk that gets provisioned as whatever size I deem, but only consumes the space it needs. I had too little room left to do an in-place Windows Repair install (which needed 8+ Gb). The first batch of Windows Updates, including SP1 are being installed now.

Besides, Windows (and really, all OS's that I've seen (Mac, Linux)) benefit from a clean start every few years.

John

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

#413848 - 08/15/15 09:19 AM

Quote:

The first batch of Windows Updates, including SP1 are being installed now.

Holy Hannah!

I think I did about 4 reboot cycles last night, with perhaps 40 patches, including SP1 and manually upgrading from IE 8 to IE 11. This morning I woke to the system ready to apply 198 patches!

I would have thought that Windows 7 would have more of a "roll-up" situation to get you close to current... Oh well.

John

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#413854 - 08/15/15 01:23 PM

Quote:

I think I did about 4 reboot cycles last night, with perhaps 40 patches, including SP1 and manually upgrading from IE 8 to IE 11. This morning I woke to the system ready to apply 198 patches!

Smiling here, even though the OEM W7 Pro disc I got for the Mac already had SP1 it still took forever to get current. Those occasional jumbo-size OS X updates can be tedious, but it does get it done in one shot.

jb

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4424

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG