AVSIG: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches
      #413717 - 08/13/15 11:15 AM

Greetings,

While I'm primarily a Mac guy, I have a variety of Windows 7 environments that I maintain. After applying the latest Windows Updates last night, I have a graphics related problem on one virtual machine.

This VM on a VMware ESXi 6.0 host. This particular VM relies on hardware "passthrough" to directly drive a separate video card that is dedicated to the Windows VM, and not shared with any other VM on the host (and, once the host has passed control to the VM, even the host can't use the video card).

After applying the patches and restarting the Windows 7 guest OS, I saw the Windows log-in window, but I could not move the mouse or get any keyboard input to show on the screen. I powered off the VM and restarted it. After this attempt, I could move the mouse and enter my login info. After my credentials were entered, the cursor changed to a swirling circle and the screen says "welcome." There it sits, and the user interface has locked up again.

The machine is still running. I have some monitoring tools watching CPU, memory, disk, etc, hitting the machine from the network, and they are all registering activity.

I think the next thing I can try is boot in safe mode.

Beyond that, I'm wondering what to try next, beyond wiping the VM and starting again. This is a very generic VM, so I'm pretty sure that I won't invest more than an hour in troubleshooting before blowing away the VM, as there is almost nothing on it.

At this stage, it is more of a sleuthing interest, but if there are any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
If I -can- boot in safe mode, for example, is there an easy way to roll back to a configuration before the last set of Windows Updates?

Thanks,

John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nigel Thompson(1D2)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #413721 - 08/13/15 12:09 PM

Sounds like it might be a driver issue. I run Win7 in a Parallels VM on a Mac machine, just to run Jepp Services to update the cards for the plane, as they don't have a version for OSX (its for an old UPSAT GX60/MX20 set up). After the last Win7 patches a few weeks ago it wouldn't recognize the PCMCIA reader. Took some time for Windows to find and down load the right driver that was compatible with the latest patches.

If you try booting into safe mode it should address the video card in "plain Jane VGA" which ought to work, and you can then let it find the updated driver.

Have fun, Nigel.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #413727 - 08/13/15 01:16 PM

Quote:

If I -can- boot in safe mode, for example, is there an easy way to roll back to a configuration before the last set of Windows Updates?

System restore.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Nigel Thompson(1D2)]
      #413732 - 08/13/15 02:07 PM

Quote:

If you try booting into safe mode it should address the video card in "plain Jane VGA" which ought to work, and you can then let it find the updated driver.

Thanks, Nigel, I'll give that a shot. I also run Windows 7 in a VMware Fusion VM on my Mac. I did the same upgrade last night, and that seemed to go OK (as far as not having the same video issue). I will try booting the problem VM in ESXi in Safe Mode and seeing if it can find an updated driver for the video card. The card itself is nothing special -- it's a Radeon 6450 1GB video card.

If that doesn't work - I'll try the system restore that Russell suggested.

Ward Miller POU-NY
Top Gun

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: New York
Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #413734 - 08/13/15 02:09 PM

John, I just started having problems with my Win XP Mode running in a Win
Virtual PC, all under Win7, which updated yesterday.

The only thing I use the XP for is to run TapUBB. This morning I tried to
download new messages and it hung up during the download. Each time I
totally exited TapUBB and began again. On the fourth try, it completed
successfully.

We always said, when you stop installing correction fixes, you stop having
bugs! It is still true, I see.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Nigel Thompson(1D2)]
      #413753 - 08/13/15 07:16 PM

Quote:

Booting into Safe Mode with Networking worked fine. Now to figure out what to try next.

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
      #413755 - 08/13/15 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Booting into Safe Mode with Networking worked fine. Now to figure out what to try next.

I would think it would be the video driver. I never let MS install video drivers on my machines. :-)

the other bill

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#413756 - 08/13/15 07:51 PM

Quote:

If your Windows Update settings allow driver installs you may want to try to roll back the video driver in Device Manager. Do that, reboot normally, see what happens. No joy, do a System Restore from Safe Mode (Control Panel|Recovery, if you're viewing CP in icon mode), or from cmd.exe, rstrui.exe.

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Bill Bridges - 9S1]
      #413757 - 08/13/15 07:53 PM

Quote:

I would think it would be the video driver. I never let MS install video drivers on my machines. :-)

Great minds and all, simultaneous time-stamped posts above <g>

jb

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Re: Graphics lock-up after recent Win 7 MS patches [Re: Jim Bell]
      #413758 - 08/13/15 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No joy, do a System Restore from Safe Mode (Control Panel|Recovery, if you're viewing CP in icon mode), or from cmd.exe, rstrui.exe.

I'm thinking it is more than just the video driver as the keyboard and mouse are frozen too. I think it is something deep that deals with the memory pass-though specific to VMware ESXi.

I'm running System Restore, but sadly, there is only one Restore Point saved, and it is from just after I did the Windows Update last night.

Oh well.

I wonder if I can do a clean install of Windows 10 using the key from Windows 7? I read somewhere you can do that...

As I said, I rarely use this VM, other than the odd time where I need to test something on a "real" PC.

John

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4427

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG