AVSIG: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference
      #263697 - 09/07/09 07:02 PM

When my microwave is on it seems to disrupt my 802.11g Linksys signal. I was using channel 9. Anybody know which is the best channel to avoid this as much as possible?

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #263705 - 09/07/09 07:35 PM

Mase -- Use the "Popcorn" setting.

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #263714 - 09/07/09 08:19 PM

Try channel 1 - it's as far away from 9 as you're going to get, not that it's all that far. (You should really be using 1 or 11 anyway, since those don't overlap channel 6, where all of your non-tech-savvy neighbors left their default channel setting...)

The frequency table is here.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #263717 - 09/07/09 08:25 PM

Thanks, I will give that a try.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interfere [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #263731 - 09/07/09 10:07 PM

Or -- get an 802.11n radio with both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios.

They are relatively expensive -- usually more than $140. And, of course, your computer would also need to work on that frequency.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
      #263735 - 09/07/09 11:07 PM

Mase,

The microwave doesn't cause me any problems here, but something did. I use 6, 2.437GHz, Linksys WRT54GL, no problems with that. Thinking back, may have been the cordless phone thing.

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#263737 - 09/07/09 11:14 PM

Scott,

Quote:

...channel 6, where all of your non-tech-savvy neighbors left their default channel setting...

Refresh my memory, the issue with 6 is what?

jb

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Jim Bell]
      #263739 - 09/07/09 11:38 PM

There's not exactly an issue with 6, but it's typically the default channel that routers are set to coming out of the factory. As a result, lots of people end up on 6 because they don't want to monkey with the settings. For example, in my computer-friendly neighborhood I can see about 6-8 routers, and 80% of them are on channel 6. Interfering with each other. I'm on channel 1 avoiding them. 11 would work, too - but everything between 2 and 10 overlaps 6 to some extent, and if you pick something like 9, it'll overlap both 6 and 11 and potentially slow them both down. So... I *like* having people stay on 6, because it makes them easy to stay away from.

And then there are the people who decided they wanted to set up security, so they set their SSID to AD3F611DE9BF and can't figure out why it's still "open"...

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#263740 - 09/08/09 12:02 AM

Scott,

We only have 1->11 here in the US, IIRC my Linksys 54GL defaulted to 11. 6 works better for me, no interference from the neighbors, seems like it solved the cordless phone deal though.

Quote:

And then there are the people who decided they wanted to set up security, so they set their SSID to AD3F611DE9BF and can't figure out why it's still "open"...

Open as in they broadcast the SSID or they don't use any sort of security? I've had "My Documents" show up when I use one of the boxes that allows DHCP, default Win workgroup name, no preferred network. Not getting on yer case here Scott, but this is an area where folks get led astray.

Seems the good thought from the WiFi smart guys these days is WPA2, serious passphrase, let the router broadcast. Otherwise, your wireless boxes are looking for the preferred network you've selected, and asking frequently "Where's AD3F611DE9BF , and btw, here's my MAC address"...ymmv.

EDIT The "My Documents" comment means other folks folders. File Sharing enabled, not so good there.

jb

Edited by Jim Bell (09/08/09 12:10 AM)

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
      #263742 - 09/08/09 12:42 AM

Quote:

(You should really be using 1 or 11 anyway, since those don't overlap channel 6, where all of your non-tech-savvy neighbors left their default channel setting...)

At all depends. I leave mine on default. Between the walls and the proximity, my signal overpowers the neighbors. But anyone wanting to pick off my signal will have to deal with the extra noise.

But yes, if I wanted range, I'd have to pick another channel.

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Jim Bell]
      #263751 - 09/08/09 07:32 AM

"Open" as in they appear to have put what they thought was their hexadecimal WPA key into the wrong box during setup... which, you're quite right, is pretty easy to get wrong.

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
      #263811 - 09/08/09 04:19 PM

Have you considered replacing the microwave? It must be leaking a lot of RF to interfere with WiFi.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #263815 - 09/08/09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Have you considered replacing the microwave? It must be leaking a lot of RF to interfere with WiFi.

Not if the signal is at the fringe. It doesn't take much to push it over the edge.

However, cleaning the door seals might be a good idea.

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #263818 - 09/08/09 04:30 PM

Quote:

Well, possibly, but I don't think so. My router is in the building next door, about 40 feet away, thru two brick walls. My computer is in a corner of the dining room, line of sight blocked by a refrigerator. However, the micro is about 12 feet away on a direct line.

Nevertheless, I get a strong signal usually at 30-50MBps but the micro kills the speed down to 1.0MB. But I changed the channel several times and finally settled on channel 3, and the interference seems to have stopped. At least, it made no difference to hot up a bowl of soup today....had zero effect of the WiFi.

--------------------

Sean Franklin
Top Gun

Reged: 08/15/04
Loc: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
      #263822 - 09/08/09 04:36 PM

Quote:

When my microwave is on it seems to disrupt my 802.11g Linksys signal. I was using channel 9. Anybody know which is the best channel to avoid this as much as possible?

Common problem. This article goes into some detail. The microwave they tested operates at 2,450MHz which puts it right on Channel (drum roll...) 9!

Mine did the same thing, I was also on 9. I moved to Channel 1 and it works great now.

--------------------
Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Re: Best WiFi Channel To Avoid Microwave Interference [Re: Sean Franklin]
      #263825 - 09/08/09 04:40 PM

Quote:

Mine did the same thing, I was also on 9. I moved to Channel 1 and it works great now.

Thanks for posting that. I seem to be ok for now on channel 3, but if that falters or if I start getting bad stuff bleeding thru from channel 6, I will go to 1.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15427

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG