AVSIG: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Jim Good]
      #263627 - 09/07/09 08:20 AM

Quote:

Punkin Chunkin season will be here in a few weeks...

LOL! At our last house a neighbor and his kid were into the contest. They designed and tested their gear in the back yard, launching their pumpkins out into the creek behind us. It became a seasonal thing to watch those pumpkins float by.

It's not Punkin' Chukin' time yet but I do know somebody at Burning Man....

Quote:

You ought to be able to find SWMBO a brand new laptop for less than the cost of the therapeutic counseling that you will need if you continue to try to salvage the old `puter.

The intertubes tell me that Best Buy has a PCMCIA card for $29.95. I think I'll find out why that won't work first <g>.

Regards,
Joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Gifford
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Montgomery County MD
Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #263628 - 09/07/09 08:42 AM

Quote:

The intertubes tell me that Best Buy has a PCMCIA card for $29.95. I think I'll find out why that won't work first <g>.

"Warning. Warning. Your good-money-after-bad alert system is on condition red. Warning. Warning. Your good-money-after-bad system has detected a potentially dangerous situation."

Spend the $29.95 on a nice lunch and some pie in a shiny diner with SWMBO, after which you give her a $1 bow wrapped around a pretty new $300 netbook that actually works.

(I have spent weekends trying to rehabilitate older PCs, too, and I don't even have any Scots ancestry. There is ALWAYS some unanticipated hardware or software incompatibility problem that keeps the old computer from doing the desired job... and then I spend $25 or $50 or $100 on component upgrades that are hard to find because no one stocks gear that recognizes that old operating system... but it's okay, because a new computer would cost much more than that, I think... and I install the hardware band-aids and I wrestle with their software... and the thing STILL just doesn't work. There is always an unanticipated problem #2 or #3 that then crops up.)

I feel your pain.

Want a FREE Windows 98 desktop PC with a CRT and an ink-jet printer? I have some BRAND NEW bits in there, wireless network card, USB hub, etc., which would ALMOST allow it to connect to our home wireless network, if only the PC actually had Windows 98 Me instead of just Windows 98. Just send me $301 for shipping to:

Jim's wife
301 Dollar Lane
New Netbook, MD 80286

--------------------
Be well,
-Jim

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Jim Gifford]
      #263629 - 09/07/09 08:47 AM

Jim,

Quote:

Warning. Warning. Your good-money-after-bad alert system is on condition red...spend the $29.95 on a nice lunch and some pie in a shiny diner with SWMBO, after which you give her a $1 bow wrapped around a pretty new $300 netbook that actually works.

Glad someone said it!

jb

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
      #263633 - 09/07/09 09:15 AM

I have my son's old laptop with who knows what on it that I'm willing to offload.

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Ward Miller POU-NY]
      #263634 - 09/07/09 09:17 AM

Remember that some things shouldn't be in the trash. I think it needs to be disposed of properly due to nasty stuff (hardware, not software) inside. Or, am I wrong about that?

Anne

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #263635 - 09/07/09 09:21 AM

Quote:

Eldest son is off to college - down at that ramblin' tech school in Atlanta.

Ask him if that little tunnel under the expressway still smells the same.

EE '62

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #263636 - 09/07/09 09:23 AM

Windows Me making something work better? Now that's a scary thought...

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #263638 - 09/07/09 09:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"Warning. Warning. Your good-money-after-bad alert system is on condition red. Warning. Warning. Your good-money-after-bad system has detected a potentially dangerous situation."

Yep -- unless you are purely doing this work for its therapeutic value, I'd stop right now, head down to Best Buy, or online to newegg.com and get a new machine for a few hundred dollars.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Another #@$%! Dead Soldier [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #263640 - 09/07/09 09:39 AM

Anne,

Plenty of toxic stuff inside computers, and yes, most states and the feds 'regulate' how it's disposed of. Which in reality lets people feel good about doing the 'right thing'. The waste still generally ends up somewhere in India and elsewhere. A google with "ewaste children india" should suffice to remove the self-satisfied feeling some I know have because they followed the 'rules'. Tossing a computer in the trash is just a more direct method of achieving the same result imo. An interesting .pdf link from .gov is here. Happy Labor Day ;-)

jb

Jeff Hartmann CIC
Top Gun

Reged: 05/18/04
Loc: Chico,CA
      #263648 - 09/07/09 10:40 AM

>>>where the dime was rolling back and forth. Every once in a while it'd bridge the right couple of contacts...<<<

that's too much, RMOAS...had a transponder, would occasionally squawk 7700....they found an errant screw that could roll into a position that caused the code.

--------------------
Jeff

nothing clever to say right now...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4221

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG