AVSIG: WiFi vs wired internet connections wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: WiFi vs wired internet connections [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #263748 - 09/08/09 06:28 AM

Jerry,

Quote:

You know what they say about teaching an old dog.
BTW, Do you audio guys use bass and treble?

Woof to you too <g>

When fishing for the former, the latter (sorry, that was a meatball right over the plate, a blooper into left center) <G>.

For real, a 10+ band graphic equalizer, if you can find one these days (eBay?) can be useful. For surround you can also make yourself crazy with gear like that. If sound matters to you, look for movies that have awards for Best Sound, I could post a list of the best re-recording mixers if you'd like, but they're probably as old and deaf as I am now <g>

jb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: WiFi vs wired internet connections [Re: Jim Bell]
      #263797 - 09/08/09 02:46 PM

Quote:

look for movies that have awards for Best Sound,

There are sure a lot of movie DVDs out today with perfectly terrible sound. Granted, I'm 68 years old and my hearing hasn't been all that good since I had industrial-grade measles at age 9, but my son's hearing is super and he says the same thing. Sometimes it's as bad as the screenwriting...;-)

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
      #263805 - 09/08/09 03:51 PM

Quote:

For real, a 10+ band graphic equalizer, if you can find one these days

RADIO SHACK has a 16-band 2-channel EQ. They also have a 7-band one.

HERE's another one. at Buy.com.

HERE's a whole mess to choose from...

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Edited by Mase Taylor [L.A] (09/08/09 03:53 PM)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: WiFi vs wired internet connections [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #263807 - 09/08/09 04:05 PM

Ralph,

Quote:

There are sure a lot of movie DVDs out today with perfectly terrible sound. ... Sometimes it's as bad as the screenwriting...;-)

Can't address the latter, good sound though, it really can be an art.

<opinion> ... Best movie mix is the one you don't hear. Leaving out the usual suspense movie scene of dropping audio before the throat slashing moment, mixing dx/mx/fx so you have that suspension of disbelief creates some amazing moments. Right now Jaws comes to mind, the scene where Quint tells the Indianapolis story. Close to perfect, and most have no idea why. Of course, as a former audio guy I have an opinion ;-)

I watch silent movies when they run (TNT and AMC from time to time). I mute the lame updated music tracks that attempt to simulate the live organist in the theater in the day, and try to figure out how they'd have been improved by sound. Sometimes (Chaplin, Harold Lloyd et al.) not at all, others, "It Happened One Night" among many, well, sound is a good thing :-)

Knowing what the technology was in those days was always of use to me when I did my work. Btw, for others, re-recording mixer, when you see that credit, is a direct throwback to the early days of 'soundies'. There's production sound, the real deal as it happens on set, live, then it gets, well, re-recorded in the mixing studio ;-) </opinion>

jb

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
      #263812 - 09/08/09 04:21 PM

I need to look for some, but I've always been fascinated by radio shows. Where the sound is everything. I think what made it more fascinating to me is that it seemed more personally obtainable. With film/movie, you need a camera, sets, lighting, editing, etc, etc.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: WiFi vs wired internet connections [Re: Russell Holton]
      #263826 - 09/08/09 04:42 PM

Russell,

Radio is great, here's a link, CBS Mystery Theater, ymmv as to content. All of it pales though compared to reading imo, where you create AND hear everything in your own mind. My comment to Anne about the audio books was about that, though I'm not so sure I want an actor playing the roles in a favorite book. I think a visit to the ophthalmologist to finally get some real glasses that work for me will get me back to reading.

That said, mixing sound for TV or movies, well, if it's done well, hard to describe those moments when you *know* it's going to create a reaction in the audience. Cool stuff, just the others one needs to work with, how many times can you politely remind someone that powdered noses went out with Napoleon or somesuch dead guy ;-)

jb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4015

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG