AVSIG: Snow Leopard, clean or upgrade? wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Snow Leopard, clean or upgrade? [Re: Jim Bell]
      #263518 - 09/06/09 11:54 AM

Quote:

Hope they get those Retrospect issues worked out but it seems suspect already for the reasons you mentioned. A simple fix like there was with cuteFTP is one thing, sounds like there are core issues with Retrospect.

After reading the forum some more this morning, I don't know that they will ever solve the issues. Generally, when someone says they are going to re-write the software from the ground up, it is because it is so difficult to find and fix bugs in old code. EMC (which bought Dantz) released 8.0 of Retrospect in April. It has have a few patch releases and one major release since then, and still many folks, even including long time supporters, are giving up on it. I think many are hanging on to running 6.1, even though it is unsupported code. Unfortunately, because parts of the OS are now compressed, and this old code doesn't understand the compression, it will not be suitable for a full system restore.

Maybe it is time to look at Time Machine again.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Re: Snow Leopard, clean or upgrade? [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #263553 - 09/06/09 03:28 PM

My current thoughts on backup are to try Chronosync with Chronoagent on the other two Macs.

Since it is primarily a synchronization tool, I need to do some testing, since Backup and Restore seems to be taken for granted, such that there isn't a lot of documentation for it in their manual. Thankfully, I can try it for free.

http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/about/products.html

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
      #263556 - 09/06/09 03:46 PM

John,

While you're trying that backup software I'll be trying Time Machine. No brainer here, it's just for the MBP. That'll have to wait though until I get the other boxes in place, one thing at a time.

jb

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

#263594 - 09/06/09 11:11 PM

Yeah, if I wasn't so set on the network backups, it seems that Time Machine has smoothed out its rough edges. Perfect for a single machine.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#263599 - 09/06/09 11:31 PM

John,

I use Acronis on the PCs, no Mac version I can see though.

I know you have serious biz backups to attend to, my deal here, more just something I should do. Nothing really critical for me that hasn't already been backed up via optical disk, geographically elsewhere. How long those disks last, well, I'm guessing longer than I will <G>.

Took a peek at the Retrospect fora, read the "Upgraded to Snow Leopard, Engine now dies daily" thread, in part. That stuff doesn't sound good. I'm sending a good thought as to the trial ware you're going to try...

jb

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

#263600 - 09/06/09 11:33 PM

Thanks -- I appreciate it!

I've used (and like) Acronis on Windows.

I suppose I don't 'really' have to stick with network backups at home, I'm just used to doing it that way. I like controlling all the backups for all the machines in one place.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

#263641 - 09/07/09 09:41 AM

I completed my Snow Leopard upgrade last night. I went through the machine and manually cleaned up some old and duplicate stuff. I realized that with the machine only 18 months old, and the fact that it came factory fresh with Leopard, that I really hadn't mucked with the system much (unlike my PowerMac in the basement), so I decided to just do the default upgrade.

I did make a full SuperDuper bootable backup in case I need to fall back.

So far, things seem just fine. As expected, it doesn't "feel" too much different. It is a bit snappier opening windows, and launching apps, which is always appreciated.

I use a plug-in for Apple Mail which is not yet compatible, but I knew that before the upgrade. The Developer states he will have an update very soon.

I install the XCode tools, and while they are on the Snow Leopard DVD, they don't get installed as part of the main installation, so they were a separate action after the upgrade.

I haven't checked everything, but the basics all seem fine.

John

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#263643 - 09/07/09 09:54 AM

John,

Glad it all went well! I have to say again how much I'm enjoying using the Mac recently. I'm going to plug the LaCie d2 in later and run Time Machine, starting to have an investment in what's on the MBP now, and having it backed up.

jb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3815

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG