AVSIG: Well, That Was A Scare.... wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Bruce Gorrell [EQY]]
      #262030 - 08/27/09 10:22 PM

Bruce,

Quote:

Hard drives are too cheap to take that chance.

Optical media too, hard to believe anyone here doesn't have a burner. Want offsite backup at the consumer level, get a hosting package, upload your pics and such there. Unless Mozy etc. have magical never-fail drives, and multiple geographically separate locations hard to believe there's any difference. Plus you get to put sites up that are really lame ;-) Get an FTP app that'll automate the process, CuteFTP comes to mind, Mac and Win, works a treat.

jb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
      #262035 - 08/27/09 11:16 PM

Quote:

So your machine makes an incremental backup at 0200 while you're asleep (or anytime that you're not watching, then, two hours later, your hard drive goes belly up. During that 2 hours, your online backup provider has decided to go out of business.

I don't see how that's any more likely than having your backed up HD go bad unoticed, or within a short period of time of your primary hard drive going bad. Same thing with fire, flood or theft, etc. With the offsite backup the backup is physically spearated from your primary storage.

Best part is it's completely automatic. Few people will really keep up with a (nearly) once per day incremental backup schedule.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
      #262053 - 08/28/09 04:45 AM

Quote:

During that 2 hours, your online backup provider has decided to go out of business. That's about what has happened to several people as documented in the article.

I did not see anything that suggested that they suffered from a hard drive failure. Only the complaint that they lost files due to the vendor going out of business.

In my case, I have an automatic backup to another drive. So I'd have to have a site failure in addition to a vendor failure to be affected.

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #262069 - 08/28/09 09:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What does happen to ones data if Mozy or EMC, the parent, goes belly up.

You sign up with a different provider?

Your system is making incremental backups about once per day so you'll know very quickly if the service stops working.

So I guess this service can is only for protection against hard drive failure? I would also like something where I am rolling items I do not want cluttering up my hard drive to a near on-line status.

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Jim Bell]
      #262148 - 08/28/09 04:19 PM

One other thing. After installing the LaCie external drive and the D-link USB 2.0 card, I did an 'ultra-deep' spyware scan the next day. It came up with a trojan. According to ZoneAlarm:
    Service: NPF
    File: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\npf.sys

This program enables a remote user to control your computer. It runs in the background and opens a back door on your computer. The back door allows an unauthorized remote user to connect to and access your computer, circumventing your computer's security. When you connect to the internet, this program notifies the remote user that your computer is vulnerable. This program may also have built-in tools used to manage your files, run executables on your computer, control your mouse and CD tray, screens, and retrieve passwords, keystroke, and screen shots.
I deleted it, of course, and blocked incoming and outgoing TCP ports 445 for good measure. The only way I could think of that it got on my computer was via the LaCie drive (which had software pre-loaded on it, manuals and such), or via the D-link driver disk.

Searching the Internet for more information was a fool's errand. Some sites claimed that nsf.sys was a destructive rootkit, and others said it was totally harmless.

My geek friend said, "I wouldn't worry about it", so I'm not.

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #262192 - 08/28/09 07:28 PM

John,

Do you have Nmap, Ethereal or Wireshark installed? The npf.sys file is part of WinPcap, *had* vulnerabilities, seems to be fixed. No problems here, 4.0.2 is current, get it here if you need it.

jb

Ron Rosenfeld (EPM)
Public Guest

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Maine
      #262194 - 08/28/09 07:30 PM

John,

I have that program on my system. It was installed as part of another
program that is used for network traffic analysis. You might be interested
in this : http://www.threatexpert.com/files/npf.sys.html

--------------------
--ron

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#262195 - 08/28/09 07:32 PM

Got involved in the links for the previous post... many have differing opinions as to Mr. Gibson from GRC, but a good rant from the lad about port 445 here ;-) Whatever else he may be, he knows some stuff.

jb

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Ron Rosenfeld (EPM)]
      #262198 - 08/28/09 07:35 PM

Ron,

Looking at traffic is educational and good clean fun :-)

jb

Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #262439 - 08/30/09 09:21 AM

Quote:

So I guess this service can is only for protection against hard drive failure? I would also like something where I am rolling items I do not want cluttering up my hard drive to a near on-line status.

Then you can get two different online backup providers so that one is a backup of the other...

As others have described, I use backup software to keep redundant copies of everything on my in-house network. Then I use JungleDisk and the Amazon "cloud" to do an offsite backup as well. I figure I'll hear reasonably quickly if Amazon goes under. Cost is running about $13/mo for 75GB - and that includes online file access from anywhere.

Life is too short to spend it burning DVD platters.

Regards,
Joe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8312

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG