AVSIG: Well, That Was A Scare.... wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: sreyoB yrraL]
      #261951 - 08/27/09 05:17 PM

Larry,

Quote:

Burnable CDs/DVDs are not a permanent solution, either. ... Have you looked at the automated online backups?...

I'm curious as to how redundant Mozy, or the other online services actually are. Multiple verified backups of one's data over time or? Especially at the consumer level.

As to CD/DVD deterioration, nothing is permanent. To date I have at least 50 CD-R disks, burned up to 12 years ago IIRC, they're fine, despite very poor storage conditions over time, especially as regards heat. It's also not a stretch, if one is concerned about the permanence of the media to re-burn new disks every n years.

The real advantage imo that online backup provides is that it's offsite, which many fail to do at home.

EDIT Posted subsequent to this one, perhaps better to keep it one piece....I hit 'Ok, submit' too soon...I'd also wonder what assurance there is that 10 years from now Mozy etc. are still in business. I burn disks, at least 2 per backup, one gets mailed elsewhere, the other in a safe deposit box. Many banks offer that service at minimal or no cost with an account.

jb

Edited by Jim Bell (08/27/09 06:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#261953 - 08/27/09 05:22 PM

Larry,

I hit 'Ok, submit' too soon...I'd also wonder what assurance there is that 10 years from now Mozy etc. are still in business. I burn disks, at least 2 per backup, one gets mailed elsewhere, the other in a safe deposit box. Many banks offer that service at minimal or no cost with an account.

jb

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
      #261954 - 08/27/09 05:27 PM

At 62 y.o., 'permanent' is a relative term for me <G>. I just want to keep my 'stuff' for a little while longer.

I thought about online backups, but decided that due to the poor state of the economy I might have to resort to a life of crime, so I decided against it. <another big grin>

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #261955 - 08/27/09 05:35 PM

John.

LOL, hey, @ 56 I'm not too concerned either. I do have a plan though, should I have a premonition of my demise. I'm gonna renew my hosting packages for 5 years, most pages have a 'last modified' SSI deal on 'em...Last modified indeed ;-)

jb

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Jim Bell]
      #261956 - 08/27/09 05:47 PM

Quote:

Larry,

I hit 'Ok, submit' too soon...I'd also wonder what assurance there is that 10 years from now Mozy etc. are still in business. I burn disks, at least 2 per backup, one gets mailed elsewhere, the other in a safe deposit box. Many banks offer that service at minimal or no cost with an account.

jb

In my mind the viability of these businesses is a bigger question. What does happen to ones data if Mozy or EMC, the parent, goes belly up.

Edited by Jerry Kurata [KLVK] (08/27/09 05:47 PM)

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
      #261967 - 08/27/09 06:11 PM

Quote:

Have you looked at the automated online backups? I have been www.mozy.com for about two years now. I use the free account on all of our computers except for one. That one get's the unlimited account which works out to $2.17 per month. I put all of our pictures, music, video, etc. on that computer so it's always backed up.

Have you seen this?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/kr95a4

(Preview to increase confidence that it's not a hacked TinyURL)

Edited by Bruce Gorrell [CLT, mostly] (08/27/09 06:13 PM)

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #261972 - 08/27/09 06:56 PM

Quote:

What does happen to ones data if Mozy or EMC, the parent, goes belly up.

You sign up with a different provider?

Your system is making incremental backups about once per day so you'll know very quickly if the service stops working.

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Well, That Was A Scare.... [Re: Bruce Gorrell [EQY]]
      #261975 - 08/27/09 06:59 PM

That article seems to be talking about archival services--where you don't keep a copy yourself. Mozy is a backup service which creates a backup of whatever you have on your computer. If Mozy goes out of business the (almost) daily incremental backup will fail which will alert you to the problem. You still have all of your files on your system so all you've potentially lost is the online backups. You'd sign up for an alternate service and be on your way.

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
      #261976 - 08/27/09 07:03 PM

I forgot to mention that I have some MAM-A gold archival CDs that I use for important stuff. So far, though, the only thing I've put on them is scans of old family photos from the civil war days.

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
      #262011 - 08/27/09 08:59 PM

So your machine makes an incremental backup at 0200 while you're asleep (or anytime that you're not watching, then, two hours later, your hard drive goes belly up. During that 2 hours, your online backup provider has decided to go out of business. That's about what has happened to several people as documented in the article.

Hard drives are too cheap to take that chance.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8315

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG