AVSIG: Missing Episode - CSI wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Ed Williams [PHOG]]
      #141738 - 01/25/07 04:36 PM

Quote:

What do you know about the HDTivos?

The Series 3 is great. I've had mine for a while now and have even sold my old Series 2.

The S3 features haven't yet caught up with the Series 2, as the S2 was recently updated, but the rumors are that the S3 will be receiving a similar software update very soon. The only things that will still be missing are the multi-room viewing and TiVo to Go. Those features must be approved by CableLabs and TiVo expects to impliment them later this year.

I was running both the S2 and S3 for a while and almost immediately the S2 became a second-class citizen. I really didn't want to go back to watch anything on the S2 after having gotten used to the S3.

I highly recommend the S3.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed Williams [PHOG]
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Maui
Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #141759 - 01/25/07 10:01 PM

I have a TV and some HD channels - but without TiVo I never watch them.

Ed

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #141768 - 01/26/07 06:27 AM

Mase,

>>Now they have 1080i available and prices are coming way down. The choice are mind-boggling.<<

Mind-boggling covers it for me. My sis and bro-in-law have a wall mount plasma (Panasonic I think). First time I watched it I was sorta hyptnotized. Actually, I was stunned by the clarity.

Any thoughts on what would be a good choice? I'd prefer one of the stand-mounted screens, maybe 30" or so. I've got the digital cable/HDTV with Cablevision and all the HD channels.

Gary Rima - TKI
Public Guest

Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Plano, Texas
Re: Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Johnny Sewell [MKC]]
      #141771 - 01/26/07 07:15 AM

Hi Johnny,

Yes, has been quite a while since we've talked! Still in Dallas, doing well - although I sold the 210 a couple of years ago - costs kept escalating and getting harder and harder. Might try to look for a partnership later this spring.

How's life treating you?

-Gary-

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
Re: Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Jim Bell]
      #141778 - 01/26/07 08:48 AM

I've read that for true 1080 HD you need at least a 42-inch screen to have the minimum number of pixels. Then you have to decide between 3 technologies: Plasma, LCD, or projection. Each has its positives and negatives. I used to be biased against rear-projection TV's but I did a ton of comparison shopping and changed my mind. I got more screen for the money, the picture is amazingly bright (my major objection in the past was a dark screen requiring a dark room) and the clarity is stunning. Mine is a DLP model with the millions of tiny mirrors.

One important thing to check is the quality of a standard definition picture on the HD set. Some models do much better than others at upscaling the SD picture, which is still important considering the amount of SD programming still being broadcast, as well as the standard definition DVD's that will be with us for years.

Another thing to look for is a lot of inputs, preferably at least two HDMI inputs (best quality).

There is no substitute for a side-by-side comparison to help the decision making process.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Johnny Sewell [MKC]
Hangar Rat

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: MKC
Re: Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Gary Rima - TKI]
      #141834 - 01/26/07 07:03 PM

Hello Gary,

Good to hear from you. I seem to pass through DFW on the airlines several times a year but only get to DAL or one of the airports there once a year or so. But I could be there twice next month! So there may come a call when you least expect it.

Johnny

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Ed Williams [PHOG]]
      #141847 - 01/27/07 03:22 AM

Quote:

Larry:

Tivo is offering me a deal where if I buy a Series 3 HDTiVo I can transfer my lifetime subscription from my Series I unit (for $199 - which is what I paid in the beginning).
What do you know about the HDTivos? Are they ready for prime time? I'm resistng switching to HD at home because we can't bear the idea of TV without TiVo.

Ed

Thread HiJack Alert!

Ed,

Get your virtual self over to http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

Lots of discussion of the various options. I'm currently a DirecTV subscriber who decided to purchase a soon-to-be obsolete HR10-250 HD DirecTivo box from eBay rather than lose TiVo and switch to DirecTV's HD DVR. I did this knowing that I won't get any of the local channels via satellite , nor any new HD channels DirecTV adds. I figure this will let me dip my toes in HD while I wait for the HD "sourcing" issue to sort itself out.

I was all set to buy a Series 3, and switch to Comcast, until I started reading about the high likelyhood that Comcast (among many cable networks) would be switching much of their HD traffic to SDV - switched digital - that won't be able to be received by the Series 3! Until TiVo comes out with some sort of statement that they won't let the $600 + investment become worthless within 18 months, I'm not moving to the S3. I need to let things settle for 12 months or so. If you are already a cable subscriber, perhaps the S3 holds less risk for you.

I just bought my first HD TV. A 42" Plasma. It is sitting in the living room. I haven't even hooked it up yet. That is scheduled for this afternoon after a bit of flight instruction.

Jerry Kurata [KLVK]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Northern California
      #141849 - 01/27/07 04:02 AM

Mase or anyone else,

Any thoughts on where prices will be in a year for a 1080i set? I have held off buy since my 40 inch CRT based unit is working fine and I don't want to buy in a rapidly failing market. But the picture on the new sets is so nice.

Also, is the interlacing a concern. I remember that computer monitors used to have interlace settings, but they had a lot of issues with repainting with fast action.. Now most monitors are non-interlacing. Will the same thing happen to HD sets?

jerry

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: Missing Episode - CSI [Re: Jerry Kurata [KLVK]]
      #141860 - 01/27/07 05:20 AM

HD content is either 720p or 1080i.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
      #141865 - 01/27/07 05:50 AM

Mase,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I may know a bit about computers, but zero about HDTV. I remembered that I have an online subscription to Consumer Reports, where they have some really good basic info, so I'm learning a bit now.

I agree that the bottom line is, after learning the pros/cons of LCD/Plasma/Projection, I'll need to go in-store and look at 'em. Interesting point about SD, hadn't thought about that at all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4767

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG