AVSIG: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: INDIANA
Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs
      #140663 - 01/17/07 12:21 AM

Folks,

WARNING> My computer was getting so sluggish that I decided to copy my files and reformat the disk and restore the slow way. But after I restored everything my CD-ROM R/W refused to operate along with another program. But I was smart: I had take the time to do a "mirror" back up to CDs (where the hard drive is copied by sectors) and decided what the heck I will just return the computer to the way it was before I started. THE FIRST CD DISK of the mirror back up gives a read error, but only after it was half way through that disk and nailed the first sectors where the OS is located!!! Here I did everything right and got nailed. I checked with some people over at Compuserves computer forums and they told me that is a problem with optical disk storage (CD and DVD). With back up of files you can have a verification switch (but you can't with sector backup). Was told that most people think it is reliable because of TV, etc disks. Problem is that with watching DVD the errors are there but it is so fast the eye and ear can't catch it. They stated the only sure way was a magnetic media (another portable hard-drive). LESSON LEARNED by ole Jack.

Jack E. Hammond

PS> Getting all the login names and passwords set has been a bear! I mean "A BEAR!" Took me ten minutes to figure out the login name I used for AVSIG -- ie I now use only one login name for forums I join since a year ago.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Budge (W29)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Re: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs [Re: Jack E. Hammond]
      #140674 - 01/17/07 03:01 AM

Jack,

Thanks for the "heads up." Sounds frustrating! I've been putting off upgrading the system in my office for about a year now because reloading everything is so much fun. Glad you're back on the air and found the password for the 'Sig.

Regards,
Joe

James Peters (BAK)
AVSIG Member

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Indiana USA
Re: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs [Re: Joe Budge (W29)]
      #140688 - 01/17/07 06:19 AM

Jack and Joe...I use an ordinary address book and log in the names,password,ID,etc....particularly if I have different passwords for access to different websites.

Just a thought...

Jim

--------------------
James S. Peters Sr.

Jack E. Hammond
AVSIG Member

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: INDIANA
Re: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs [Re: James Peters (BAK)]
      #140799 - 01/17/07 11:35 PM

Dear James,

That is what I am doing now.

Jack E. Hammond

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs [Re: Jack E. Hammond]
      #140866 - 01/18/07 12:09 PM

CDs? You backed up on CDs? Damm your a patient person. I'd at least go with DVDs given the amount of stuff on my hard drive..... But yeah, another drive is the way to go. Soooooo much faster. And cheap if you shop the sales and stock up ahead of time. Maybe 200GB for $60 after rebate or so.

I'm a little puzzled about the errors situation. I think a CD is really about 1TB of space, but it uses a good chunk of it for forward error correction so it's capacity is only about 650 - 700MB. On playback it's all fixed on the fly. If sector by sector copy turned that off, I can see how that's a recipe for disaster.

The biggest issue I've had with burning is making sure the media is matched for the drive. You can't buy any old stuff at the store and have it work reliably. Look and see what the drive manufacturer recommends and things will go much smoother. Also check for firmware upgrades for the drive. There are a number and usually to accommodate different media brands.

Edited by Russell Holton (01/18/07 12:10 PM)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs [Re: Russell Holton]
      #140917 - 01/18/07 07:40 PM

Russell,

>>The biggest issue I've had with burning is making sure the media is matched for the drive. You can't buy any old stuff at the store and have it work reliably. Look and see what the drive manufacturer recommends and things will go much smoother. Also check for firmware upgrades for the drive.<<

I keep telling folks that too, most don't listen. Next thing you know they're at Walmart or wherever buying c*** media (CD or DVD) because it's cheap, and wondering why they've got a pile of coasters. Ya get what ya pay for...

Sidenote...Tonight is one of the maybe 3 times in ~6 years Cablevision has had a sustained (>30 minutes) complete cable failure. Usually it's the TV that'll fail, 'net still works. Quite a treat to be on right now @ ~31 Kbps on the Zoom modem ;-)

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Re: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs [Re: Jim Bell]
      #140970 - 01/19/07 09:08 AM

Quote:

I keep telling folks that too, most don't listen. Next thing you know they're at Walmart or wherever buying c*** media (CD or DVD) because it's cheap, and wondering why they've got a pile of coasters.

*sigh* I have the same problem at work. In that case, it's not so much that it's cheap, it's just where they shop. For some reason the media Plextor recommends can't be bought at most big stores.

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
      #141213 - 01/21/07 06:41 AM

Russell--

You probably already know about MAM-A (Mitsui Advanced Media) gold archival CDs.

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Re: Backing up your hard drive - WARNING about CDs [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #141260 - 01/21/07 11:32 AM

While using CDs for archiving is a complex issue, I think gold is a waste of money. There are other factors that limit the life of the disk before loss of reflectivity of the backing medium comes into play.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
      #141297 - 01/21/07 06:02 PM

Russell,

>>For some reason the media Plextor recommends can't be bought at most big stores.<<

Yup, but you can find it online @ Newegg and others. For my external 716A-U/F external burner (the one I use for archiving either to CD or DVD) I use the Taiyo Yuden disks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3871

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG