AVSIG: Nailing Unauthorized Users wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jim Brownfield [KFUL]
Public Guest

Reged: 05/22/04
Loc: KFUL, Fullerton, CA
Re: Nailing Unauthorized Users [Re: Stephanie Belser]
      #129014 - 10/06/06 01:35 PM

We had a similar problem several years ago. One morning, we came in and found the cleaning crew had helped themselves to the sodas in the fridge, and were having pizza while surfing the net on one of our machines. These bright bulbs left partly-eaten pizza, a pizza box, and empty cans in the trash (this was the cleaning crew).

We called the cleaning company owner who called other clients on the two guys' route. Other people had similar issues. The pair was relieved from the stress of being employed. We changed the locks and now only have the cleaning crew come in during the day.

If this is an open area, I'd set up a hidden camera (like a wireless ethernet camera or a reasonably long-running hidden video camera). If you catch the culprit(s) on tape (or disk), you'll have rock-solid evidence against them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Churchill
Public Guest

Reged: 02/22/05
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Nailing Unauthorized Users [Re: Jim Bell]
      #129024 - 10/06/06 02:38 PM

Quote:

...click the Desktop and select 'Properties', go to 'Screensaver', click the box that says something like 'On resume, password protect'. Also, set the screensaver 'Wait' time to a short interval. That can be annoying, but avoids unattended machines from being compromised. Here's a page that walks you through it with screenshots in a more formal way, but what I described just gits it dun <g>

Good tip, Jim. I just used your instructions to set mine up that way, worked great.

--------------------
- Dave [KFFM]

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Re: Nailing Unauthorized Users [Re: Dave Churchill]
      #129120 - 10/07/06 05:00 AM

Dave,

Good deal, you obviously got that I should've said *right-click* the Desktop <g>.

Where I live, regardless of what my lease says about 24 hrs. notice for maint. work, they tend to just show up, when I'm not here. The main XP box is on 24/7, client data on it etc., just easier to know that when I leave it'll protect itself.

Having recently gotten an ADT alarm installed, and no seperate code for them (which actually violates the lease on my side, gotta do something about that;-)), they've learned that's not such a good idea. It's USD $100 when the PD shows up for a false alarm, but sure makes an impression as regards walking in, with no notice <GGG>.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3712

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG