AVSIG: Removing HyperWRT help wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Hardware/Software

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Removing HyperWRT help
      #127872 - 09/26/06 03:53 PM

Gary, all,

Since I got the WRT54GL and flashed it w/HyperWRT I've been having odd email problems. email I send from my main cable optonline (Cablevision) account just don't git there sometimes :-(

Never had a problem before in 5+ years with optonline mail, have tested with multiple Netsol accounts and my earthlink dialup backup email accounts, random failures, no bounce messages...I don't believe in coincidence.

The 'Clear NVRAM, restore factory defaults' doesn't do that, just clears the password and restores the default HyperWRT settings. I've googled, maybe I'm just missing how to get the router back to the original Linksys firmware.

Tia,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Removing HyperWRT help [Re: Jim Bell]
      #127886 - 09/26/06 05:49 PM

Jim,

Given the function of the WRT54GL, I have a hard time thinking that a sporadic mail delivery problem could be caused by the box.

Here is a link to the Linksys firmware. I would think you would navigate to the firmware upgrade page and then choose this file to flash the Linksys firmware on to the WRT54GL.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417109974&packedargs=sku%3D1133202177241&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Removing HyperWRT help [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #127891 - 09/26/06 06:43 PM

>>> Given the function of the WRT54GL, I have a hard time thinking that a sporadic mail delivery problem could be caused by the box. <<<

I believe it. When I visit my mom's house with a Linksys wireless router, I can't check my Compuserve email from Outlook at all. At home using my my older generation Linksys wireless router with the same laptop I have no problems. I've played with it and I can't figure out what's going wrong. There is a newer firmware for my mother's router. I may try loading that.

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#127898 - 09/26/06 09:12 PM

John,

Thanks for the FW link, I was going in circles, looking. Flashed it back to FW v.4.30.5, I'll post if things change for better or worse. It works, using it now to post.

Had it been one browser on one box I'd think, OK, problem there. This was across the board, Mac mini, Macbook Pro, 2 XP Pro boxes, Firefox, Netscape, IE (Win boxes).

Next post: Why Flash 9.x requires the Mac to use Rosetta mode for Firefox and Netscape. Adobe, thanks for the Macromedia purchase, and also, thanks for the un-installer, which can't un-install v 9.x ;-)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Removing HyperWRT help [Re: Russell Holton]
      #127899 - 09/26/06 09:26 PM

Russell,

>>When I visit my mom's house with a Linksys wireless router, I can't check my Compuserve email from Outlook at all.<<

Odd stuff, I'm hoping the re-flash back to the Linksys FW that John posted the link to will resolve my issue.

Then again, given the fast optonline cable connection, I may just put the old and *reliable* BEFW11S4 router back in play, .g doesn't make a big difference to me.

In between actual work, getting my friends up to date (and me too) on Tiger on the Mac, router c*** is the last thing I need ;-)

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

#127900 - 09/26/06 10:54 PM

John,

I wrote in part: >>Next post: Why Flash 9.x requires the Mac to use Rosetta mode for Firefox and Netscape. Adobe, thanks for the Macromedia purchase, and also, thanks for the un-installer, which can't un-install v 9.x<<

I'm an idiot. This Adobe technote explains the Rosetta part for Intel Macs: Flash 9-Rosetta. I'd almost swear that 24 hours ago I had to open Flash content with Firefox in Rosetta mode with Firefox 1.5.0.7 Mac. Not, I guess. The v 9.x un-installer thing, at least that was correct, maybe ;-)

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

#127902 - 09/27/06 12:45 AM

>>> I may just put the old and *reliable* BEFW11S4 router back in play, .g doesn't make a big difference to me. <<<

Unless maybe you've got Verizon's fiber service, the only place you'd see speed improvement is communicating to your LAN. The Internet connection is far too slow to be bothered by the "slow" speed of B.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
      #127911 - 09/27/06 03:34 AM

Quote:

John,

I wrote in part: >>Next post: Why Flash 9.x requires the Mac to use Rosetta mode for Firefox and Netscape. Adobe, thanks for the Macromedia purchase, and also, thanks for the un-installer, which can't un-install v 9.x<<

I'm an idiot. This Adobe technote explains the Rosetta part for Intel Macs: Flash 9-Rosetta. I'd almost swear that 24 hours ago I had to open Flash content with Firefox in Rosetta mode with Firefox 1.5.0.7 Mac. Not, I guess. The v 9.x un-installer thing, at least that was correct, maybe ;-)

Nope - you aren't an idiot. It has been a good nine months since the Intel Macs (with Rosetta) have been out. I can understand Adobe Creative Suite not being released in a Universal Binary version yet, but you'd think all the smaller plug-ins, like flash, etc. would be UB by now.

John

Dan Barclay [ORG]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/06/04
Removing HyperWRT help [Re: Russell Holton]
      #127920 - 09/27/06 07:30 AM

>> When I visit my mom's house with a Linksys wireless router, I
>> can't check my Compuserve email from Outlook at all.

Can you do other things, like check mail on other servers?

If so, do you and your mother have different ISP's? Some mail servers are
picky about where you are when you connect to them. I wouldn't expect this
from Compuserve servers, but it wouldn't completely surprise me if you were
using a CIS owned connection at home and your mom wasn't.

If you find that's the cause, forget the router and check your email
signon/authentication properties.

Dan

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Re: Removing HyperWRT help [Re: Dan Barclay [ORG]]
      #127937 - 09/27/06 10:36 AM

>>> Can you do other things, like check mail on other servers? <<<

All my other accounts work fine.

>>> If so, do you and your mother have different ISP's? Some mail servers are picky about where you are when you connect to them. I wouldn't expect this from Compuserve servers, but it wouldn't completely surprise me if you were
using a CIS owned connection at home and your mom wasn't. <<<

Being picky is absolutely true when it comes to sending mail, but I've not encountered any problems retrieving - even when I was visiting in Japan. As for being associated with Compuserve, my mom is using a Time-Warner cable ISP. It would seem to have a better association to Compuserve then my home ISP.

As I recall, I jacked in directly to the cable modem and everything worked fine. So it's something in the router.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4072

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG