AVSIG: OOPS On Detroit Taxiway wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gil Buettner [KAUW]
Top Gun

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: Gateway to the Northwoods
Re: OOPS On Detroit Taxiway [Re: Anne Umphrey (KBED)]
      #422061 - 02/20/16 10:45 PM

Quote:

Maybe he is still buried in snow in the wilds of northern MI.
Anne

Last I heard, he was headed for Ann Arbor for a special Valentine's Day dinner.

--------------------
-Gil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: The west coast of Florida
Re: OOPS On Detroit Taxiway [Re: Jeff Hartmann CIC]
      #422084 - 02/21/16 12:13 PM

Quote:

Happens at little airports too...

Hi Jeff,
The image you attached reminds me of an incident long time ago. Perhaps 1968. I43 James A Rhodes Airport 5 miles SE of Jackson, Ohio. I was flying charter and instruction out of KPKB Parkersburg, WV. My boss had cut a deal with his old hometown over in Jackson, Ohio to provide services. So I would once a week fly a C-150 the 65 miles over to Jackson to provide flight instruction.

So anyhow, one day this Grumman G-I operated by the Purina Co. drops in and promptly drops through the new tarmac taxiway down to the axel.

Circus ensues.

Two local farm tractors (red) get chains’n ropes attached to each main gear leg. That’s one tractor per side. Now yer think’n they’re goin’a need to pull evenly on each side. Turns out they can’t. Yup the G-I front fuselage slides sideways into one of said red tractors. Luckily it barely scratched the airframe. It was buff out-able and in the end all was good cept for the trench in the tarmac<g>.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (oh yea, then there was the self proping incident/deal with an airknocker)

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Re: OOPS On Detroit Taxiway [Re: Randy Sohn]
      #422085 - 02/21/16 12:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Awww...

Concur - X 2!

best, randy

Yup - X 3

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------
The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, 1939.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: OOPS On Detroit Taxiway [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #422090 - 02/21/16 01:38 PM

Quote:

KPKB Parkersburg, WV

SWMBO and I went there some years back for a family visit across the river in Marietta. We were on a UAL (IIRC) codeshare whose name I've forgotten; the entire service at PKB was four roundtrips a day to PIT with a Beech 1900.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Tom Charlton
Top Gun

Re: OOPS On Detroit Taxiway [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #422119 - 02/21/16 10:41 PM

Quote:

SWMBO and I went there some years back for a family visit across the river in Marietta. We were on a UAL (IIRC) codeshare whose name I've forgotten; the entire service at PKB was four roundtrips a day to PIT with a Beech 1900.

Hi Ralph,
During my stint at KPKB it was Piedmont and Agony operating F-27s, YS-11s and Convairs.

Runway 3/21 had a big ole hump in the middle so you can’t see one end from the other. Common characteristic to a number of typical hilltop airports. Remember’n one day rolling for takeoff on runway 3 whilest one of the aircarriers was depart’n on 21. We both got a clue bout the same time and aborted. On field Flight Service Station advise’n 3 but I think the aircarrier was looking for a more direct heading departing toward KCRW. As Randy might say . . . got another ration of salt that day.

Regards,
Tom Charlton

--------------------

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: OOPS On Detroit Taxiway [Re: Tom Charlton]
      #422121 - 02/21/16 11:03 PM

Quote:

of salt that day

Prolly hadda have a "system chief pilot" named Arthur Hinke to really understand that. Art truly was an "old salt".

best, randy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5822

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG