AVSIG: AA-USAIR wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ken Korshin KMIA
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Key Largo, Florida, USA
AA-USAIR
      #340853 - 04/20/12 01:49 PM

ALLIED PILOTS ASSOCIATION, ASSOCIATION OF PROFESSIONAL FLIGHT ATTENDANTS AND TRANSPORT WORKERS UNION JOIN IN SUPPORT OF AMERICAN AIRLINES-US AIRWAYS MERGER

Union Leaders Pursue Best Path to Restore American Airlines to Preeminence

Fort Worth, Texas (April 20, 2012) — The Transport Workers Union (TWU), the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Allied Pilots Association (APA) issued the following joint statement today:
“On behalf of nearly 55,000 American Airlines front-line employees—including the 17,000 members of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, the 10,000 members of the Allied Pilots Association and the 26,000 members of the Transport Workers Union—we are pleased to confirm our support of a possible merger between our airline and US Airways. We have reached agreements on terms sheets for collective bargaining agreements that would govern the American Airlines employees of the merged airline with US Airways.
“This significant step represents our shared recognition that a merger between American Airlines and US Airways is the best strategy and fastest option to complete the restructuring of American Airlines, enabling it to exit the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process and restore American Airlines to a preeminent position in the airline industry.
“As envisioned, a merger of US Airways and American Airlines provides the best path for all constituencies, including employees of both American Airlines and US Airways. The contemplated merger would be based on growth, preserve at least 6,200 American Airlines jobs that would be furloughed under the company’s standalone strategy, and provide employees of both American and US Airways with competitive, industry-standard compensation and benefits. Over the long term, the combined new airline would support greater job security and advancement opportunities for both American Airlines’ and US Airways’ employees that are far superior to those available to employees at either airline on a stand-alone basis. Importantly, by avoiding a lengthy and contentious 1113 process, the new carrier would be able to emerge from bankruptcy more quickly.
“A merger would create a foundation to establish American Airlines as a vigorous competitor of the two larger network carriers and the industry at large. Customers of both airlines and air travelers in general will benefit greatly from a viable third network carrier and significantly enhanced travel choices.”
That is the full text of the unions’ joint statement.

--------------------
Best,

Ken

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Re: AA-USAIR [Re: Ken Korshin KMIA]
      #340856 - 04/20/12 02:13 PM

Wow! I didn't expect that.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
AA-USAIR [Re: Ken Korshin KMIA]
      #340859 - 04/20/12 02:37 PM

Ken -- I saw that......interesting.

--------------------
www.scottdyercfi.com

Randy Sohn
Gradn Exlated Ordre of teh Fyling Fingres

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: Savage, MN - U.S.A.
Re: AA-USAIR [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #340864 - 04/20/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah, likewise, my initial thought, "Huh?

best, randy

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Minneapolis/Tucson
      #340874 - 04/20/12 04:19 PM

Well such a merger has been in the rummor mill for some time.

Don't know if the Chapter 11 will accelerate such a merger -I'm not an expert on the subject, but it's happened before.

Perhaps the AA union employees are concerned about some already noted coming massive layoffs.

Don't know how the US Air union folks will take this statement. As we all know, the workers at US Air are very divided between the original US Airways and the new ownership in Arizona.

Still, this jointly approved union statement caught me a little by surprise. Our son, an instructor Captain at AA, has not mentioned anything. Working in the commercial aviation industry is certainly not a dull career in terms of vocational stability. BTDT. Most AA employees are making less than before 9/11, including the pilots.

Alaska still seems to be OK on their own. And the big cargo guys are also doing OK (Fedex/UPS).

Regards, -my old Northwest uniform is in the NWA history museum. Things change.

Dux from now too hot Tucson -soon back to Minnesota

Bill Bridges - 9S1
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: 9S1
Re: AA-USAIR [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #340875 - 04/20/12 04:20 PM

Quote:

I'd be really surprised if American is not allowed to put it's plan of reorganization in place and go forward with it? This ain't Chapter 7.

the other bill

Edited by Bill Bridges (04/20/12 07:09 PM)

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: AA-USAIR [Re: Bruce Gorrell [EQY]]
      #340893 - 04/20/12 07:40 PM

Quote:

Wow! I didn't expect that.

I don't follow the issues, but I'm wondering if they've watch what's happened in the past, how it turned out, and decided "Let's try something different."

Randy Sohn

Re: AA-USAIR [Re: Richard Duxbury (Dux)]
      #340897 - 04/20/12 08:35 PM

Quote:

NWA history museum

Which reminds me, gonna have to bug out early from the BP's "soup kitchen" tomorrow, go on over to that museum, docents doing a Republic/Repulsive day over there, then also gotta go out to FCM for those new QB's induction.

I'll mention to Spook and the guys that you're gonna be back soon.

I see from Bruce on here that you Niiiihhhhvvvveeee guys didn't need to practice any instrument approaches, guess meb'be that's why some of them that I saw on the line couldn't fly for "sour owl sxxx" <g>.

best, randy

Mase Taylor
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: SOCAL
      #340905 - 04/20/12 10:34 PM

Sure am glad to be retired.

At this point all I have to lose is my free passes.

--------------------
Fly The Airplane As Far Into The Crash As Possible. - Bob Hoover 1922-2016 R.I.P.

Randy Sohn

Re: AA-USAIR [Re: Mase Taylor]
      #340909 - 04/20/12 10:50 PM

>>Sure am glad to be retired<<

Concur! As Dux sez "good time to be retired".

>>my free passes<<

I quit trying those more'n 10 years ago.

best, randy

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2999

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG