AVSIG: AA 62 Terrorist Probe? wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Airlines & Air Crews

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
AA 62 Terrorist Probe?
      #146007 - 03/05/07 03:38 PM

Has anyone heard about this? The following was an E-mail from a member of the crew (probably). Information in brackets added by the website. From The Aviation Nation:
    Flt 62, Paris to MIA [Miami], a few weeks ago. 2 maybe 4 mid-eastern types causing minor disturbance from the get-go. Nothing that the FAs [flight attendants] couldn’t deal with, but, in hindsight, they seemed to be pushing the envelope. Cross-cabin activity, hanging out in the forward galley, complaining about everything, etc. Mid-Atlantic, the FO [First Officer, or Co-Pilot] called to return to the cockpit after his crew-rest break. One of the perps [perpetrators] was in the forward galley, was instructed by a FA to go aft, but didn’t. As the cockpit door opened, another perp suddenly appeared from around the galley, dropped his shoulder into FO while the first one got in the way of the FO’s attempt to block the other…here I’m not certain…so….wait for the movie.

FO (one of our first FFDO’s [Federal Flight Deck Officers*]) was about to pull his flashlight to use as a weapon in a counter attack, but thought better of it not knowing how many more perps he might have to fight, called “lockdown” to the FB [secondary “B” First Officer], inside the cockpit, who slammed the door. As soon as the perps heard the word lockdown, they retreated to their seats.
    Crew considered divert, but since the threat diminished and seemed to be contained, they pressed on towards MIA. Flight was met in MIA by FBI, FAMS [Federal Air Marshal Service] (none aboard, by the way), AA [American Airlines] Security suits, etc. During the de-brief, which lasted several hours, the FAMs told the pilots that they would have “dropped” both of the perps with the first shove near the cockpit door. Perps claimed to not understand English, were detained for 4 days and deported, back to Paris...
Addenum: It could have been AA 63 - the original article used both numbers.

Addenum #2: Is it true that FFDOs are forbidden to carry firearms on international flights?

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Edited by John Cooper [KAVL] (03/05/07 03:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: AA 62 Terrorist Probe? [Re: John Cooper [KAVL]]
      #146552 - 03/09/07 12:33 AM

Maybe this might be a terrorist probe too?

Yeah, people can be strange. But this is just too strange.

B. Butler (Oregonian)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: Ashland, Oregon
Re: AA 62 Terrorist Probe? [Re: Russell Holton]
      #146555 - 03/09/07 01:51 AM

Quote:

Maybe this might be a terrorist probe too?

Yeah, people can be strange. But this is just too strange.

EEEEUUUUWWWWW!!

--------------------
"Why not be a nihilist? A man has to believe in something."
-Bernie Gunther

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #146582 - 03/09/07 09:52 AM

All right, everybody freeze. I've got a magnet up my *** and I'm not afraid to use it!!!

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: KBED
      #146635 - 03/09/07 03:19 PM

Why?

As a defense against alien mind probes?

--------------------
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
- Amelia Earhart, 1897 - 1937

John Cooper [KAVL]
Top Gun

Reged: 04/28/05
      #146646 - 03/09/07 06:06 PM

Hope he used his left hand...

My only three comments are 1. The news media identified the FOIR as a "rock", which I thought was curious since a rock wouldn't set off a metal detector.

2. The media concluded the man was crazy - something not necessarily true.

3. There have been a number of Middle Eastern types doing strange things on airliners lately - the "Flying Imams" come to mind, as well as these latest incidents.

My conclusion is that they are testing our defenses...or maybe just f***ing with us...or both.

--------------------
"Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates, and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. . . . The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Judge Janis Rogers Brown

Robert Mann [HPN-NY]
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/15/04
Loc: NY
      #146650 - 03/09/07 06:31 PM

John,

<<Flight was met in MIA by FBI, FAMS [Federal Air Marshal Service] (none aboard, by the way), >>

That surprises me. I would think that flight would always have FAMS on board.

--------------------
Best,

Bob

sreyoB yrraL
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/16/04
Re: AA 62 Terrorist Probe? [Re: Robert Mann [HPN-NY]]
      #146660 - 03/09/07 07:34 PM

Quote:

I would think that flight would always have FAMS on board.

If everyone thinks that there are FAMS on board then there's no reason to have FAMS on board.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
      #146667 - 03/09/07 08:34 PM

Quote:

My conclusion is that they are testing our defenses...or maybe just f***ing with us...or both.

I think so too. They might be a lot of things, but I don't think stupid is one of them. They've got some kind of a plan.

Andrew Niemyer -KDLH
Top Gun

Reged: 09/18/04
Loc: Minnesota
      #146823 - 03/11/07 09:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think so too. They might be a lot of things, but I don't think stupid is one of them. They've got some kind of a plan.

It's called "Tickling the system" in the trade. Just like sending a patrol out not to accomplish much other than to see what kind of response happens and how it happens.

Don't ask how I know all this. <VVBG>

Best regards,
Andy

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6189

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG