AVSIG: Battle of Midway wwswsigarch.jpg (7236 bytes)

✈ . . . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . ✈ . ✈ . . ✈ . . . ✈ . . . . ✈ . . . . . ✈ . . . . . . Touch-and-Go to our Live Forum (This is a Read-only Archive of the 2004-2017 AVSIG Forum)

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> Aviation History

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Battle of Midway [Re: Andrew Niemyer -KDLH]
      #434165 - 01/02/17 08:12 PM

Already picking up some great points in the first 50 pages. Author already focuses on the early great success of the Japanese navy, how far they stretched their lines and how they split their forces.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
      #434166 - 01/02/17 08:19 PM

Just finished it. Interesting indeed...thanks for the tip.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/01/04
Loc: Texas
      #434182 - 01/03/17 06:43 AM

Andy-

Wilco. I've always liked Ambrose and still do. But I'm a little more skeptical of him and his methods nowadays. I found out he researched the D-Day campaign by riding around in a tour bus. Seems a little sketchy to me. You don't always need to walk the ground to do good history. But when you do it should be in more depth than a tour bus window. I like to get an infantry man's eye view when I walk the ground. The Hedgerows in Normandy stunned me and Brecourt Manor truly opened my eyes, there are things you just can't grasp unless you walk the ground.

Speaking of primary resources. When I was researching my masters thesis I was stationed in England and got to use the Royal Archives. Looked through actual memos and correspondence and such from WWII. They had stuff there that dated back to the 1200's. It was fascinating. That is primary source!

--------------------
Gunny
www.eagleflyingmuseum.org

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Re: Battle of Midway [Re: Scott Perdue (50F)]
      #434189 - 01/03/17 10:52 AM

I remember several points where he was clearly paraphrasing technical references that he didn't fully understand. There was a description of the B-17 (don't remember which book, but it wasn't The Wild Blue, which was all B-24 stuff) where he wasn't clear on the crew positions; he gave the correct crew size as 10, but described each position as if nobody did double duty -- which would have added up to 14 or more. There were contradictory statements within a page or two of one another.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
      #434292 - 01/06/17 01:06 PM

>> Royal Archives...

The Public Records Office out by Kew Gardens? Yes, very cool. Penny Wilson asked me to research her father's war experiences (flew a Hurricane in the Battle of Britain) and my wife and I had a trawl through the RAF squadron records. Found him with no problem at all, got copies of his mission reports along with transfers, etc. Absolutely fascinating - and yes, they've got a ton of stuff out there.

When our son was born we had to register the event with the records people in Hammersmith. The clerk pulled out this humongous leather-bound volume and carefully hand-wrote his details into the ledger. I asked how far back they had records like that. She looked at the ceiling for a few seconds and said they had books back to about 1500 in the basement, but the "really old stuff" (!) was held at the Public Records Office. Amazing...

Scott Perdue (50F)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Battle of Midway [Re: Scott Dunham (RDU)]
      #434314 - 01/07/17 09:02 AM

Scott-

<<The Public Records Office out by Kew Gardens?

Yes, thats it. I couldn't remember the name. I used to ride the underground to get there and as I remember the last bit was actually above ground. It is on the southside of London. Too many penguins have fallen off the ice berg to remember exact details;)

You know the interesting thing about that recorded history is the Brits started doing it because of Richard the Lion Hearted. To pay his ransom after his last crusade they had to get serious about taxation and records. Life and history is unintended consequences;)

--------------------
Gunny
www.eagleflyingmuseum.org

Scott Dunham (RDU)
Top Gun

Reged: 04/29/04
Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
      #434398 - 01/10/17 12:10 AM

Yup, SW of London on the District Line, one stop before the last station at Richmond. We lived just on the other side of the river, past Richmond in Twickenham. A lot of the Underground actually isn't - once you get out of central London, it's generally on deck.

The Brits do like their history. I was just floored when the registrar hauled out that giant ledger and then gave us hand-written birth certificates. Charles Dickens would have felt right at home except for the ballpoint pen.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
Top Gun

Reged: 01/11/03
Re: Battle of Midway [Re: Ralph Jones]
      #434512 - 01/14/17 03:50 PM

Quote:

Just finished it. Interesting indeed...thanks for the tip.

Ralph -- I have now, too, what a great read. Apart from the obvious excellent operational analysis of flight deck operations, the writing style was most enjoyable, too. The authors are no slouches with their craft.

Andy Alson, you'd enjoy this, whenever they'd mention pby patrols or airmen rescues I was thinking of you and your dad. It's in the Westchester library system, I'll be returning the Chappaqua copy in a few days after I peruse the appendices a bit more.

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
Top Gun

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: ADS (Dallas, TX)
Re: Battle of Midway [Re: Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]]
      #434519 - 01/14/17 07:53 PM

I'm right where they hit three of the carriers within a short time. Great read.
Tough to see us really take it on the chin with uncoordinated attacks up to this point. Some very brave, but mostly ineffective attacks up to this point. My heart goes out to those guys.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Re: Battle of Midway [Re: Dave Siciliano (ADS)]
      #434522 - 01/14/17 08:17 PM

Yeah...a battle of that geographic size, at that level of command & control technology, was essentially a knife fight in the dark.

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17699

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG