AVSIG: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... avsig.jpg (7236 bytes)

About AVSIG Membership Blog The AVSIG Store Free Guest Registration Mark All Posts "Read"

AVSIG Discussion Sections >> AVSIG News and Help

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: U.S.
Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Mike Overly]
      #321451 - 07/24/11 06:33 PM

I'm guessin' you heard the groan over the miles <g> BTW, the pics, Apple's new data center. It appears from various reports that they can't afford Apple hardware though ;-)

jb

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike OverlyAdministrator
Hangar Rat w/Buttons

Reged: 04/09/01
Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Jim Bell]
      #321454 - 07/24/11 07:04 PM

I guess their stratospheric PPS isn't strictly Steve on stage in a turtleneck wowing the true believers :).

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Mike Overly]
      #321455 - 07/24/11 07:22 PM

Ya think? Gotta love the turtleneck though ;-) But wait, the mini running OS X server, hmmmm, W 7.7" x H 7.7" x D 1.4", 500,000 sq. ft. facility (for now), that be a whole bunch 'o minis ;-) Nah, HP and the other guys actually know how to do this...ever been to the discussion fora @ Apple powered by OS X server? Rhetorical, and I am typing from a Mac <g> Which means a stealth plug: the new i7 mini may be the best deal Apple has ever offered, but maybe wait for at least 1 ROM rev and I'd almost bet on heat issues...

jb

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Jim Bell]
      #321457 - 07/24/11 08:32 PM

As usual, Scott Adams is right on time with the truth...

http://tinyurl.com/3ch4yz2

--------------------
Ray

"I went to work this morning, but couldn't remember why, so I retired." Wiley Miller

Jim Bell
AVSIG Member

Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Ray Tackett]
      #321460 - 07/24/11 09:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, he is. Reading other articles got me thinking some (another Danger Will Robinson! moment <g>)...

Short term, construction and the like, good* for the local economy. Once it's online, not so much is my guess. The usual state tax breaks to get them there may somewhat offset a fair chunk of the US$ 1B over 9 years committed. Also, from 'things' I've read over the years about security at Google data centers, that ain't gonna be farmed out to Bob's rent-a-cop. Of course, Blackwater is conveniently located nearby ;-)

All those realities aside, that's one helluva project. Didn't research it but just had a thought about the power requirements. That place has gotta require it's own substation, the UPS/re-route data scheme would be interesting to learn about, especially if iCloud, and all the components now associated with that are located there.

*changed because I still have trouble with 'effect' and 'affect' :-(

jb

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Ray Tackett]
      #321504 - 07/25/11 12:41 PM

Quote:

Nice! Of course, as someone closely aligned with some Really Big Data Centers, I have my own opinions on these topics.

Power, Cooling (heat-removal), access to multiple high-bandwidth (OC3 or greater) are my primary concerns.

Russell Holton
AVSIG Member

Reged: 07/07/05
Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #321506 - 07/25/11 12:54 PM

Quote:

Power, Cooling (heat-removal), access to multiple high-bandwidth (OC3 or greater) are my primary concerns.

Any experimentation on alternate cooling methods? There's a upstart in my area that's creating a "data center in a box". Specially preped servers are placed in mineral oil. For cooling, the oil is circulated to outside. Oil is used as it can absorb more heat without raising the temp.

Ralph Jones
Top Gun

Reged: 08/31/01
Loc: 4CO2
Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Russell Holton]
      #321515 - 07/25/11 02:04 PM

Lots of cooling approaches have been used over the years. Some of the Cray machines were cooled with Fluorinert, a compound developed by 3M that's thermally conductive and electrically nonconductive. It just flowed between the circuit cards, immersing everything.

Of course, it sells for about $500 a gallon...

--------------------
Ralph Jones
LS-4a N49LS 6R

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
Top Gun

Reged: 09/13/01
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: Russell Holton]
      #321516 - 07/25/11 02:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any experimentation on alternate cooling methods? There's a upstart in my area that's creating a "data center in a box". Specially preped servers are placed in mineral oil. For cooling, the oil is circulated to outside. Oil is used as it can absorb more heat without raising the temp.

As Ralph quotes below, there is Florinert. When I was at Cray we had both multi-layer circuit boards with the plumbing in each circuit board, as well as the waterfall style where the water rushed over the boards (think PC chassis with ISA cards dunked in a fish tank with a strong agitator).

Lately, in commodity data centers some of the lower cost solutions have been to focus more on removing the heat efficiently as opposed to the historical method of having CRAC units supply really cold air. I was in one data center recently where they had passive chimneys on the top of each enclosed cabinet to route the exhaust heat up to a sealed plenum for the return to the air conditioner units. Much more efficient than trying to take 55F air at the side of the room and try to keep it cold when it hits the front of the cabinet. Also, the room was quieter, and the temperatures were better too.

Ray Tackett
Top Gun

Reged: 04/30/04
Loc: Philadelphia, USA
Subscribed threads emails gone missing... [Re: John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]]
      #321535 - 07/25/11 10:06 PM

Maybe it's time for a re-read of Clarke's "Dial 'F' for Frankenstein".

--------------------
Ray

"I went to work this morning, but couldn't remember why, so I retired." Wiley Miller

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mike Overly 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5228

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us AVSIG