Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/03/13 06:07 AM
NVIDIA Inspector, wow...

Quick back story, haven't booted MS FSX in a long time, maybe 2 years, wanted to get back to it, just for fun this evening. Before I booted FSX, I thought I'd look at a few of the sim fora, see if things were the same ole, same ole, as in, annoying (they were). However, I did find something that caught my eye...

Some posts about an app called Nvidia Inspector, and more specifically, a short guide written by NickN, who, IIRC, is one of the principals of the GEX scenery stuff. Long story short: Never have I found a simpler way to get things in FSX set up so as to virtually eliminate "shimmer" AND provide a performance enhancement.

So, to the links:

Google nvidia inspector, pick a site that you feel comfortable with (there are many, and quite a few known-to-be-reputable, this is *not* an nvidia offering) download, scan, and install.

Then, go here to SimForums and follow the instructions explicitly. One extra note: hit the "Apply Settings" button after each change, just my deal there though.

Note this note on that settings page:

"8xS and above controls autogen SHIMMER and cockpit VC quality of high-end aircraft such as Flight1's Mustang"

Well, appears to control more'n that, settings above 8xS are what made my rig fly with some of the most demanding scenery I have, with nearly zero shimmer: Aerosoft's Manhattan, and the photorealistic SoCal MegaScenery. BTW, Aerosoft Manhattan is stunning, but quite a load on the box. For now, I'm using the 16xS [Combined: 2x2 SS +4x MS] option. If I find better, I'll post, a simdouche I-have-cool-settings-you-don't type, I'm not;-)

For those that may have used nHancer in years past, no comparison, and it doesn't work with current nvidia drivers. Also note that the driver version for your nvidia card needs to be above 25x.xx.

Specs for my aging-but-still-nimble Falcon Northwest box are here. I'm doing this running XP Pro, all current updates. And no, not trying to play the sim fora type cool rig big swingin' **** deal, because the Falccon is old: I suspect that everyone reading this has a faster box and I'd expect even better results. And those settings made this one come alive with FSX. Elsewhere on my site I have daytime screenshots of Aerosoft Manhattan, beats me where I put 'em now though. I think of the site as a collection of pages, grown organically over time. Or, IOW, FUBAR, and I got me no intention of fixin' it ;-).

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
03/03/13 04:34 PM
Re: NVIDIA Inspector, wow...

Jim,

The AVSIM Software and Hardware Guide for FSX is what I follow along with the recomendations in the PMDG aircraft manuals.

the other bill

Mase Taylor
(Top Gun)
03/03/13 05:18 PM

Wow, it seems like only yesterday you were buying that new state of the art box. Tempus fugit.

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/03/13 06:10 PM

Bill,

Yep, way back I used that as a reference too. At some point I'd found some settings that worked great for my rig, my add-ons, couldn't get back there with the current nvidia drivers. This tool gave me a great starting spot again. It's pretty slick...

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/03/13 06:16 PM

>> Wow, it seems like only yesterday you were buying that new state of the art box. Tempus fugit.<<

No lie there, just looked at the docs that came with it, order date was Dec. 30, 2006!!! IIRC, it took about 10 days. Still running well, time to do a drive replacement, at least the XPP drive (it's dual-boot with W7P). Of course, there are 3 brand new Seagates here that have been waiting on that chore for ~ 2.5 years, no excuse ;-) Ughhh, it's gonna take some time, adding even just the apps that I use on it, especially all the sim add-ons, plus a ton of video apps.

jb

Mac Tichenor (DAL)
(Top Gun)
03/03/13 07:09 PM

>>Ughhh, it's gonna take some time<< Ghost is your friend...

Mac

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/03/13 07:20 PM

>Ghost is your friend...<<

Yeah, but... I really think it's time for a clean install. I have an astonishing amount of crapola on it, some of which I look at and have no idea what it's there for <g> I'll treat the re-install as an exercise in patience. Uh-huh, you betcha, can't wait ;-)

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
03/04/13 12:01 AM

Quote:

Yep, way back I used that as a reference too

Jim,

It was just completed about a month ago with all the latest changes including Inspector???

the othe bill

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/04/13 12:25 AM

Bill,

>>It was just completed about a month ago with all the latest changes including Inspector???<<

Obviously not the current version, but I'm reasonably certain that earlier versions were available from AVSIM, and are probably on the XP box somewhere. Either that or it was my own compiled notes when I was a member there. I did download the new version, and just read it. Probably should have done that first, and noted the date, eh? ;-) NickN (Nick Needham) from GEX (the earlier link) also had a long running thread at the other site, that I definitely compiled for my own use. A very small part of that may have came out of the comparison page between GEX, UTX and default FSX that I'd put up. He felt that it could have looked much better, I asked how. Got some info, but it was too much work to redo, at that point, link to my page here. And yes, not reading the new guide, and knowing what it contains, puts me squarely in the simdouche category I was mocking <sigh> Instant karma? ;-)

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/04/13 05:54 AM

Bill,

Updated my page to reflect the link you posted. Thanks for the headsup...

jb

Tom Tyson [SUW]
(Glider Guider)
03/04/13 03:36 PM

Since I've moved over to a Mac Mini for my general computing I have four Dell PCs gathering dust.

Given that, and this conversation, I've decided to load a fresh copy of Win7 on my Precision workstation, the one with the dual head video card, and have ordered a copy of FSX to replace my old FS 2004.

Next step, order all those MegaSceneryEarth photorealistic add-ins they've been offering recently ...

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/04/13 04:42 PM

Enjoy, Tom! There are some updates to FSX, don't recall off-hand if there are 1 or 2, be sure to install 'em. Also, fastest CPU wins the sim race, the vid card is important, but not the main deal. But you knew that <g> I downloaded a coupla of the MegaScenery 2 packages over the weekend, NJ is improved some, haven't really explored whatever else I got yet <g> Don't have too high an expectation about it, it's fun though.

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/06/13 07:52 PM

Tom,

Just got an email from MegaScenery, they've finished all of the U.S. East of the Mississippi. Special deal:

"As a way to mark that milestone, we are offering a celebratory discount of 72 hour 20% discount promo off ALL MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 states from 12 noon Wed 6 March through to 12 noon Saturday 9 March USA Eastern time."

Link:

http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store/

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/10/13 04:22 PM

Bill,

If I may ask, what sort of add-on scenery do you use? I've been playing around with my stuff, disabling things etc., and discovered I have a *bunch* of stuff that's probably either layered wrong, or completely unnecessary <g> I'll be running FSX on the new HP, W7P 64, just thinking ahead, maybe look at some stuff at the sim shops, though no plans to start buying a bunch of new add-ons.

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
03/10/13 07:15 PM

Jim,

I use the following add-on scenery:

FS Genesis
Aerosoft - PANC, KSFO and EGLL
FS Altitude - East/West USA
FS Dreamteam - KJFK, KDFW, KORD, PHNL, LRZH
ImageSim - VHHH
Fly Tampa - VHHX (Kai Tak)
ORBX - KJAC
GEX - North America for textures. Probably go to ORBX world textures when they come out later this year.
AES2012 - Weather sim
FSBuild - flight plans
Navigraph - updated FMC/navdata
FSUIPC - Registered (a must-have in my opinion)
Various Add-on Freeware especially from Ray Smith on Avsim to update some of the stock FSX airports.

There is a lot of very good freeware out there. I use ADE and SBuilderX to make/correct airports.

the other bill

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/10/13 07:47 PM

Thanks Bill! I have some of the same, be interested to see ORBX. I see you're an Aerosoft fan too, though some of what they brand was sometimes inconsistent. FSDreamteam too, ORD and IIRC, JFK (?) I know I had FSUIPC way back, will have to look through the backups. Hmmm, have Genesis too, only problem with the assortment is that some of 'em don't play well together (or it's my layering). Or, only have one good feature, like night lighting or somesuch. This go round I'm going to be more selective, plus, having read the current tips link that you posted, the sim will be on W7P 64, with many of the tweaks in the .cfg. Funny, reading the tips, it's been a while since I've been into the sim, remembered seeing, and trying many of those tweaks.

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
03/11/13 12:23 AM

I layer my scenery by use with FS Altitude first then KDFW then PANC. I have my Add On Scenery file after my payware, but before the FSX default scenery.

On thing I do is I run ASE2012 through simconnect on a second machine. I do not overclock and whatever the recommended settings, I always take the more conservative setting. On my FSX machine I use the MS firewall and Security Essentials with my FSX file set to not be scaned.

the other bill

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/11/13 12:40 AM

Thanks again for the info Bill, I may even enjoy getting the sim set up again <g> Agree on the overclocking, I was tempted (I could also almost afford it) to have the Falcon build OCd by them. They'd do it, provided I went with the water cooling. I drew the line there <g>

Some good news as regards my .exe, installers etc. backups of all the payware, and most everything else sim related: found a labeled (!) box with all the optical backups. Cool :-)

Now, it'd be nice if HP would get on with the build, and get the box here sooner. Dang, I thought the web was all about instant gratification ;-)

jb

Ralph Jones
(Top Gun)
03/11/13 03:29 AM

I did water cooling for a while...it was fun, but a pain in the ***. Drew the line at Peltier <g>.

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/11/13 03:50 AM
Attachment

>>Drew the line at Peltier<<

One of things I also enjoy here is how many times I need to google something on a given day <g> Yeah, OK, slap that on yer hottest CPU, could be interesting ;-)

Just did a quick search to see where that now 6+ yo Falcon box may stand, CPU-wise (X6800), and the eventually-to-get-here HP box (i7-3770K). And, sure enuf (pic below). And, no cooling required, unless, as I've read in some current posts, one gets the i7 up to the 4.5GHz range, where apparently FSX is quite sumpt'n to fly <g>

jb

Geoff Sjostrom - Chicago
(Top Gun)
03/12/13 06:30 PM

Can you give me a few words on the general operation of Nvidia Inspector? Does it allow you to fiddle with a bunch of settings, or does it recommend settings or come with some presets you can try?

I'm not much on tweaking stuff endlessly.

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/12/13 06:42 PM

The link with explicit starting settings is here. Can't say they're perfect, and having just finished a clean re-install of XPP on the FSX box, can't tell ya what was right or wrong, no FSX, yet. But it sure was better than what I had going...

>>I'm not much on tweaking stuff endlessly. <<

I might have been at some point, now, nope. Just waiting for the new HP box, which will be the FSX box, to do anything with the sim. In the meantime, will install just the basic version w/updates on the clean XP install. It'll be interesting to see basic FSX, no add-ons!

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/12/13 06:48 PM

Additionally, get the latest vid drivers, or at least what that link suggests, there's a minimum version for use with the utility. The drivers are at 314.07, for my card. Also, yeah, lots of settings in the utility, but the settings of interest are marked with suggested settings. Quick and easy to get started.

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/12/13 10:03 PM
Attachment

And here's some fun, can't get the previous version.

"So, Mr. Backup, why don't you have that?"

"Because it's on the drive I just physically removed."

"It didn't occur to you that s*** happens?"

[Sounds described by witnesses as "popping" or like "car backfires"]

End interview transcript

If anyone has NVIDIA INSPECTOR V1.959, PM me, it worked...

EDIT: Got it working, .NET...

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/12/13 11:18 PM

The brain re-engages: .NET popped into it, maybe saw that in the tips link, dunno. Duh. Current version of Nvidia Inspector is now functional.

.NET, Java, hmmm, the evil spawn of Satanic coders. How do they look Mom in the eye? ;-)

Now to see if the new look to the Inspector comports with the instructions in the initial link...

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/12/13 11:47 PM

OK, the good news:

Using the settings given here, in FSX, fresh install, updated with SP1, left all FSX settings stock except for resolution for my monitor, FPS to unlimited, and the instructions from the inspector link, it looks great. Not good, not sorta cool, absolutely great. No add-ons, no shimmer, no stutters, no BS.

I DID, in Nvidia Inspector, up the AA to 16xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 4x MS].

Buttah... Details, ask, good juju here, and BTW, stock FSX, pretty cool, at least the way it set up for me just now.

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/16/13 12:58 AM
Attachment

Bill,

Decided to install a little add-on stuff, one thing at a time, to see what's what, sorta do some testing before the new box gets here. Installed the MegaScenery SoCal (older) and the new v.2.0 NJ. Next was Aerosoft's Manhattan X, which is amazing scenery. Leastways I thought so, until I couldn't find the keys! So, I went to PC Aviator to see if I could recover them and see there's a new version of Manhattan X.

Well, the new version of Manhattan X is amazing, not the least of the reasons being that it's flyable too, given the density. Below are a coupla images, crushed from 1920x1200, that don't do it justice, but man, it really is sumpt'n. I seem to be using a lot of superlatives in this thread, especially about Nvidia Inspector, the tips document and the new Manhattan X (expensive, hadda get it though). Well, they are really cool, why not? <g>

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
03/16/13 01:33 AM

Very nice Jim.

I'm always amazed at the talent in the FS world.
It's all I can do to go in and fix PASY using ADE. :)

the other bill

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
03/18/13 04:04 AM

I was looking through the tips pages that MegaScenery offers, which pretty much explain (unintentionally) why some scenery doesn't play well, or in this case, looks its best, when used with others. The inspector and FSX guide settings work overall for me, the MegaScenery suggestions include this gem:

In your FSX.cfg file, change LOD_RADIUS from 4.5 to at least 7.0 or 8.0.

which, on my current setup guarantees an OOM error (out of memory for those not familiar with that) in 30 seconds or less ;-) The guide strongly suggests leaving it at 4.5, good advice. Additionally most of the other Mega suggestions are considerably different too. Now, if only FSX had a dynamic settings mode that'd seamlessly change as scenery boundaries were crossed...

jb

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
04/20/13 01:18 AM

Bill,

A brief update, got a GTX 660 card to replace the woefully inadequate GT 630 that was the only option on the new HP, the sim is really flying now :-)

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
04/20/13 02:11 AM

The GTX660 is a great card. I'm running the ASUS GeForce GTX660.

the other bill

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
04/20/13 02:21 AM

Quote:

The GTX660 is a great card. I'm running the ASUS GeForce GTX660.

the other bill

Yes, it is! I got the EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB (link is to Amazon), impressive. And it fits in the tiny HP case <g>

jb

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
04/20/13 03:41 PM

Jim,

What drivers are you using?

the other bill

Jim Bell
(AVSIG Member)
04/20/13 04:20 PM
Attachment

Bill,

I'm using the 314.22 drivers. The sim is running so well, now that it has a card that can handle what the CPU is throwing at it, that I keep on upping the settings, like water effects, traffic etc. Below are a coupla images on performance, taken while the sim was running, and in the toughest scenery to render I have, the Aerosoft Manhattan X package. Before, with all the good tweaks from the guide and using the inspector I could get maybe 15FPS, max. Getting well over 30FPS now, minimum. Most simmers know that FPS doesn't mean much if you have the "stuttering" and such that make things annoying. No "stutters". And if I backed the traffic and water down a notch I'd be getting 45FPS, easy. Remarkable what a good CPU can do, matched with a good card, it's barely breakin' a sweat! :-)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it's also driving 2 Dell 24" WFP 1920x1200 flat screens.

jb

Contact Us AVSIG