Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
08/28/11 09:56 PM
Rick's article in AOPA

Did everyone get to see Rick Durden's article in AOPA on Stan Musick's Aerostar 601P called: Family Rocket?

Great read. Nice bird. Good folks all around.

Best,

Dave

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
(Top Gun)
08/29/11 07:36 AM
Re: Rick's article in AOPA

Yup, good read, good writing.
Anne

Mase Taylor
(Top Gun)
08/29/11 10:23 AM

Yup, very good.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
(Top Gun)
08/29/11 10:34 AM

I've got to get more current on my aviation reading!

AOPA, Flying, IFR, Aviation Safety all show up dutifully every month. I'm probably six months behind on all of them.

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
08/30/11 05:36 PM

I don't AOPA magazine, but I woult love to see the articl. My favorite civilian piston aricraft.

Mick Ruthven
(AVSIG Member)
09/02/11 11:45 PM

Here it is...

AOPA Aerostar article

Quote:

I don't AOPA magazine, but I woult love to see the articl. My favorite civilian piston aricraft.

Mase Taylor
(Top Gun)
09/02/11 11:59 PM

I don't recall every seeing one up close. An Aerostar, that is. So, how does the wing spar of the mid-wing affect the cabin?

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
09/03/11 08:00 AM

Thanks.

LOVE that airplane.

I thought is pretty neat the the eyebrow windows are set to be perfect for steep (45 - 60 degree) banked turns, like he expected it to be flwon to those angles a LOT.

Jeff Hartmann (EQY/SVH)
(Top Gun)
09/03/11 08:26 AM

I think it is a ring structure, but I can't find a picture....

Dave Siciliano (ADS)
(Top Gun)
09/03/11 08:38 AM

Never thought of that Terry! Thanks for pointing it out.

I don't have any time in one, just rode. Fella here on the field had one and was having a heck of a problem with getting the gear up on takeoff. A fella with more experience had to point out he was accelerating so fast, he was waiting too long to raise the gear and exceeding gear up speed, or at least that's what the second experienced fella said.

The 166 gallons of fuel always bothered me because I make a lot of long trips and have a bit more range in the Baron.

Best,

Dave

Stephanie Belser-2
(Top Gun APC)
09/03/11 09:21 AM

Finally did. Rick's a good writer.

Mick Ruthven
(AVSIG Member)
09/03/11 01:52 PM

I've also never flown one, but did ride in one for about a 1/2 hour flight, in one of the rear seats, and 25 years later I still remember the noise. Definitely the noisiest GA plane I've ever been in.

Quote:

I don't have any time in one, just rode. Fella here on the field had one and was having a heck of a problem with getting the gear up on takeoff. A fella with more experience had to point out he was accelerating so fast, he was waiting too long to raise the gear and exceeding gear up speed, or at least that's what the second experienced fella said.

The 166 gallons of fuel always bothered me because I make a lot of long trips and have a bit more range in the Baron.

Best,

Dave

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
09/04/11 08:09 AM

I was thinking that the main spar was behind the rear seat, under the hat/package shelf.

We need to get George Braley here. He worked on the Aerostar design for Ted Smith.

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
09/04/11 08:16 AM

I have a couple of hours (maybe) in a 602P and a 600P. Sweet flying airplane. I found myself using 45 degrees of bank in the pattern so the eyebrows worked. :)

There is an aux tank mod, that adds some fuel. From what I can find quickly, it brings the useable fuel capacity to 210 gallons. But reduces the baggage compartment size.

And remember, it is faster on the same or less fuel flow, so you don't need as much gas onboard. :)

Go to the 700 (350 HP per side) and at 65% power and aux fuel you have a 1000 mile range at 245 KTAS. Or if you are in a hurry, 958 miles range at 261 KTAS. :)

The 700 also has a 383 FPM single engine climb rate.

Ralph Hood
(Top Gun)
09/13/11 04:57 PM

Very good!

Ralph H

Ralph Hood
(Top Gun)
09/13/11 05:06 PM

I was still selling aircraft when Piper took on the Aerostar. I was and am convinced that it was not an airplane for the low time pilot at all. Everything on the plane leans toward speed. The only one I ever sold was to race driver Bobby Allison, who had thousands of hours time in type.
Before the arguments start, I always took pride in the fact that no fatalities occurred in an airplane that I sold. As far as I know, that record still stands. I still think the Aerostar was too complex,too clean, and too demanding for most part time pilots.
On the other hand, one of the most fun things I've evere done out of bed was a low pass with a steep turnout over an abandoned airport in an Aerostar. If the FAA takes exception to this--well, everybody knows how I l love to lie!

Ralph H

Anne Umphrey (KBED)
(Top Gun)
09/13/11 05:49 PM

Ralph,

I'm sure the Statute of Limitations has run out by now.
Anne

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
09/15/11 10:47 AM

I agree. It is more jet like than any other piston aircraft I have flown.

From take off (no rotation means no take off), through climb, cruise, descent (need to slow down and go down, look out), and the pattern and landing (better be ON speed).

But those are the things that make me like it so much. :)

Kcid LlirreM
(AVSIG Member)
09/15/11 08:23 PM

Where was the abandoned airport?

Ralph Hood
(Top Gun)
09/21/11 09:35 PM

Kcid--

Well, uh, I ain't exactly sure that it really was fully abandoned at the time, so maybe I better not say.
BTW--sorry it took so long for me to notice and respond to this.
Ralph H

Contact Us AVSIG