Ralph Hood
(Top Gun)
04/21/15 08:26 PM
Beech Musketeers

Whatever happened to the Beech "Muskrats?" As I remember it, the wings were made from some sort of honeycomb or cell like construction, or something like that. Whatever it was, did anyone use that type of construction in aircraft thereafter?

Just wondering.

Ralph H

Mase Taylor
(Top Gun)
04/21/15 08:44 PM
Re: Beech Musketeers

Quote:

Whatever happened to the Beech "Muskrats?"

Just wondering.

Ralph H

There are four for sale on Controller.

Ralph Hood
(Top Gun)
04/21/15 09:13 PM

Mase T:

Thanks. I don't look at the controller often, mostly because they don't seem to provide engine info in the first ad.

Ralph H

B. Butler (Oregonian)
(Top Gun)
04/22/15 09:05 PM

Quote:

"Muskrats?" ...some sort of honeycomb or cell like construction, or something like that. Whatever it was, did anyone use that type of construction in aircraft thereafter?

Ralph H

Ralph,

I think the Be-19/23/24 line were all of conventional construction.

The honeycomb material was used in the Grumann/American AA-1/2/5/5a/5b line, all derived loosely from the BD-1. I don't know of another manufactured aircraft using those materials, but they seem to have survived the test of time. the AA-5s, and especially the 5b "Tiger" still brings a pretty good price.

Gil Buettner [KAUW]
(Top Gun)
04/23/15 05:30 PM

Trying to revive my brain cells here, but I seem to recall the T-38 wing was a "honeycomb" construction.

Bill Bridges - 9S1
(Top Gun)
04/23/15 09:50 PM

Quote:

Trying to revive my brain cells here, but I seem to recall the T-38 wing was a "honeycomb" construction.

As was UH-1 main rotor blades.

the other bill

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
04/24/15 10:14 AM

Quote:

Wing skins were honeycomb panels. F-5s had solid Al wings, IIRC.

Also MANY panels on later aircraft.

The A-10 has one on the underside from just in front of the stab forward about 8 feet. Mainly a cover, not really structural.

Contact Us AVSIG