Richard Palm (PAO)
(Top Gun)
02/07/17 05:24 PM
BasicMed

Has there been any discussion here of the new BasicMed alternative to a third class medical? The search function is not turning up anything.

Just wondering what people think about it.

Paul Millner [OAK]
(Top Gun)
02/07/17 05:42 PM
Re: BasisMed

Maybe the typo in the thread title confused people?

I'll stick with the Class 3, to make Canada (annually) and the flight levels, about the same, available.

If SI becomes required and burdensome, welll... BM may be useful.

Paul @ BERKS

Richard Palm (PAO)
(Top Gun)
02/07/17 05:47 PM
Re: BasisMed

Quote:

Maybe the typo in the thread title confused people?...

Oops! :o

Richard Palm (PAO)
(Top Gun)
02/07/17 05:52 PM
Re: BasicMed

Some people have been concerned about the price and availability of liability insurance to cover docs who provide the signoff.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
(Top Gun)
02/07/17 08:00 PM

I've seen some discussion that some docs say that this is only a marginal increase in their already heavy liability exposure so no worries if they are given a template of the exam to administer. Others may take a different view. But, in a way it sounds like just a different doc (i.e., not an AME) doing the 3rd class exam.

Richard Palm (PAO)
(Top Gun)
02/08/17 03:07 AM

I think one big difference between this and a third class medical is that there is no such thing as deferring the decision to the FAA, which I'm told can involve unreasonable delays, and in some cases, demands for expensive tests that are not covered by insurance. Another is that the FAA goes overboard on some of the requirements for non-commercial pilots, which I think a doctor who has actually seen and examined you may be less likely to do.

Scott Dyer [HPN/NY]
(Top Gun)
02/08/17 03:13 AM

Richard - That is true. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
(Top Gun)
02/09/17 06:56 PM

Quote:

Just wondering what people think about it.

As a flight instructor with a simple special issuance, I see BasicMed as a good thing. It is supposed to go into effect in May, but I think it'll take a good nine months to get any bugs worked out.

Tom Charlton
(Top Gun)
02/11/17 04:29 PM

Hi Richard,
Iíll be under light sport till BasicMed lights up. Will be interesting to see reaction of general practitioner docs as this goes into effect. I just barely slipped inside the ten year window.

Regards,
Tom Charlton (remote from a sleazy motel in El Cajon, Ca)

Mase Taylor
(Top Gun)
02/11/17 06:35 PM

Since the Cub qualifies as light sport, you wouldn't need more than a driver's license and your self-evaluation. Unless you want to fly more seats/weight/speed.

Evad Rellimhtug
(Top Gun)
02/12/17 05:02 AM

Quote:

Some people have been concerned about the price and availability of liability insurance to cover docs who provide the signoff.

Most of the Doc's on another board don't see this as an issue. My Cardiologist buddy said he would do them without hesitation.

Gil Buettner [KAUW]
(Top Gun)
02/13/17 12:34 AM

Quote:

As a flight instructor with a simple special issuance, I see BasicMed as a good thing. It is supposed to go into effect in May, but I think it'll take a good nine months to get any bugs worked out.

I got a letter from the FAA last week with a new 2nd class certificate and a statement that my SI is no longer needed. Yours is for a different condition, I know, but thought you might find it interesting.

John O'Shaughnessy [FCM]
(Top Gun)
02/16/17 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I got a letter from the FAA last week with a new 2nd class certificate and a statement that my SI is no longer needed. Yours is for a different condition, I know, but thought you might find it interesting.

Well isn't that interesting!

I had my last Physical with Dr. Chien in September. I have to submit my paperwork showing compliance again this coming September, but that is all via email (well, except the visit to the local Sleep doc and paperwork she generates). At this stage, I'm guessing I'll continue on that path, and around this time next year evaluate where things sit with BasicMed.

I did drop back from 2nd class to 3rd class when I got the SI since I don't really need it to instruct, and I never feel into another other situation where it might be needed.

John

Contact Us AVSIG