Russell Holton
(AVSIG Member)
02/09/16 08:30 AM
More drone operators than pilots

It shouldn't surprise anyone, but in a democracy, it does make one pause.

FAA says there are now more registered drone operators than licensed pilots

Richard Duxbury (Dux)
(Top Gun)
02/18/16 09:07 PM
Re: More drone operators than pilots

I think the USAF is having problems with requiring pilots to fly drones (often half a world away from the control room).

Did you really want to graduate from the USAFA, get your USAF wings, and then spend 8 hour shifts flying drones? Looking at the promotion statistics you also realize that your upward mobility might be limited.

But I'm retired navy pilot and so far do not hear much about this being a problem with the Navy or USMC pilot group?

Regards,

Dux

Ralph Jones
(Top Gun)
02/18/16 10:06 PM

Quote:

Did you really want to graduate from the USAFA, get your USAF wings, and then spend 8 hour shifts flying drones?

There was talk last year of bringing in some enlisted drone operators.

B. Butler (Oregonian)
(Top Gun)
02/19/16 07:07 AM

I've said it before, the army, as with so many other things,has provided the model: recruit promising EMs for a warrant drone pilot program.

Terry Carraway
(Top Gun)
02/19/16 02:08 PM

Quote:

I've said it before, the army, as with so many other things,has provided the model: recruit promising EMs for a warrant drone pilot program.

With so many civilian drones, why not recruit people from civilian life to be drone operators.

Being able to fly aircraft does not make one a drone flyer, and vice versa.

Ralph Jones
(Top Gun)
02/19/16 02:16 PM

The AF ran a recruiting commercial some years back that seemed to be hinting at a future non-pilot drone operator program. It showed a kid moving from toy airplanes to free-flight models to RC models to a drone console as he grew up.

Bruce Gorrell [EQY]
(Top Gun)
02/20/16 02:55 AM

The Navy and Marine Corps use only enlisted UAV operators.

Contact Us AVSIG